Building A "poor Man's Type-r"

• You cannot reply to this topic
80 replies to this topic

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
Maybe because I'm just an old fart, but I would never ever rebuild a motor without having the rotating assembly balanced. Especially if it was just going into the station wagon. It's only going to set you back $100 to $150 bucks, and you can call ahead to get it all done on the same day. There is no other single thing you can do to a motor to make it more reliable.

My two pennies.
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (firstgencrx @ Jul 4 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe because I'm just an old fart, but I would never ever rebuild a motor without having the rotating assembly balanced. Especially if it was just going into the station wagon. It's only going to set you back $100 to $150 bucks, and you can call ahead to get it all done on the same day. There is no other single thing you can do to a motor to make it more reliable.

My two pennies.

I hate that you're right
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

zackspeed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 Civic SI racecar, and 86 Civic DX
Yea it should not cost more then 200 bucks and means a hell of allot in longevity of the engine. You dont have to get crazy with lightning or knife edging. Just have all the parts balanced to match each other. Any reputable machine shop can do this work and I would give them the crank, rods, pistons, flywheel and clutch, and the crank pully you decide to use. This and blueprinting are the biggest keys to making a great engine.

Also yes I was referring to compression. We have run the engine on high octane pump since day one and it does not seem to mind. After all the miles he is still averaging close to 30mpg and it use's about a quart of oil every 3,500 miles. Simply amazing motors.

One thing for sure you will have more power then you know what to do with. biggrin.gif

Edited by zackspeed, 04 July 2009 - 09:32 PM.

There's people that dont know and people that don't know they don't KNOW!!

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Starting to wonder on the compression issue, I purchased parts from a guy (gsr ys1) who happens to tune at secret services (speed shop) that has an ITR w/13:1 (+- .5cr) and some skunk 2 cams that claims 42+mpg highway don't recall his gearing though but that is pretty good economy for a DC but I wonder if I could touch 40mpg highway with some tuning...

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Depends on the tune, and how much power you want.

Max power is going to be 12:1 AFR
Max Economy is going to be closer to 14-15:1 AFR

If your going to tune for economy youll want to do a street tune and a highway tune. The Insight runs around 25:1 on the highway.
Posted Image

zackspeed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic SI racecar, and 86 Civic DX
I dont see why you cant get 40mpg hwy. Both of my friends are averaging 30 or better on there builds and they drive the crap out of their cars.

Edited by zackspeed, 09 July 2009 - 09:58 AM.

There's people that dont know and people that don't know they don't KNOW!!

84b18

• I drive a quadracycle
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 crx b18, 85 crx si, 85 straman convertab, 04 AP2 S2000, 06 Element
are you still looking for a new shell?
I got 36 mpg with my b18 a1 one time.
Oh, you don't know if it's legal?
you're in california of coarse it's ILLEGAL!!!!!

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
I forgot to mention that his theory behind it required partial throttle tuning to make 14+ afr unless fully open throttle

At the end of the day my main concern is for the engine to be decently reliable on 93 octane and as low as 90 octane on the highway when traveling since some areas don't even offer as much as 91

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yea you can do it. Thats what the fuel modifyers are for, get out on the highway and tune the 5th gear modifyer to run leaner and extend your MPG.
Posted Image

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
I'm going to end up spending a bunch of dough on an ostrich and datalogging aren't I? damn... I don't think I'm quite ready for all that

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (zakats @ Jul 9 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to end up spending a bunch of dough on an ostrich and datalogging aren't I? damn... I don't think I'm quite ready for all that

Well, you can think of that as investment in tools. You can use that kind of stuff on other cars. You might even make a few bucks helping out someone else on tuning their project as well.
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (84b18 @ Jul 9 2009, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
are you still looking for a new shell?
I got 36 mpg with my b18 a1 one time.

Still considering a shell though I'm starting to lose hope and will probably just keep the crappy old shell, will take a LOT of work to get it where I'd feel it is socially acceptable. I will HAVE TO find some way of installing A/C if I am about to drop over a grand into an engine! if I'm investing that kinda cash into this kinda car (crappy old shell) then it had better at least have a/c

QUOTE (firstgencrx @ Jul 9 2009, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, you can think of that as investment in tools. You can use that kind of stuff on other cars. You might even make a few bucks helping out someone else on tuning their project as well.

I'm not trying to enterprise that deeply and I doubt I could make any money doing it anywhere around here, there are too many competing speed shops with dyno's and good deals.

I feel like I'm getting ahead of myself here, with every new thing I consider, it kinda obligates me to another expense (if I'm going to replace pistons, I might as well bore over .5mm, if I replace pistons I'd better balance, ect ect the list goes on) and my shell really... well let me put it this way, every female I know disdains the car

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Here is the shell I'm looking at, what do you guys think? 1.3 manual (4/5 not sure), non functioning a/c, 181k

not really too sure what to offer the guy

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
i thought all 1.3's had plastic valve covers? well shit that shows what i know. that is a clean ass car tho... and you get a racing seat! (and a stocker with a RACING SEATCOVER! lol)

recessed headlights FTW

oh and bumper guards look sweet on the hatch. looks like you can ram things and not worry bout it!
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (kaymo @ Jul 20 2009, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i thought all 1.3's had plastic valve covers? well shit that shows what i know. that is a clean ass car tho... and you get a racing seat! (and a stocker with a RACING SEATCOVER! lol)

recessed headlights FTW

oh and bumper guards look sweet on the hatch. looks like you can ram things and not worry bout it!

I believe the plastic valve covers came on the crx hf's only

not too interested in that racing seat... I want newer, matching, honda seats if possible and the blue interior needs to be replaced with black.. the blue just doesn't go with red at all... unlessssssss I call the car superman

the bumperettes: if I did get the car, Im sure the JDM whores will be all over me trying to take them off my hands laugh.gif