ibcnya

• HNFTuning
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: his girlfriend crazy
QUOTE (dtpten @ Nov 12 2009, 02:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 87 teg cluster shaved to fit into Civic housing

Oh yeah i got the idea from this link.
For anybody else who is visual it help out a lot!

http:www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forums/67171-diy-how-put-87-teg-instrument-cluster-into-84-87-3gs.html

just copy paste into your browser. the insert link tab adds another http: and cant find it that way.

Why not just use a 88-91 cluster, Rampage did a write up on it just recently and it looks pretty good and has the needed VSS junk, unless you just want the LS cluster for the 130mph gauge.

dtpten

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 hatch with d16a1 brown top wiring almost done! Daily driver 2011 CRZ
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (ibcnya @ Nov 14 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not just use a 88-91 cluster, Rampage did a write up on it just recently and it looks pretty good and has the needed VSS junk, unless you just want the LS cluster for the 130mph gauge.

i want to keep the cluster that came with the motor so that i know my mileage is correct. And since it is a somewhat low mileage motor i didnt mind fitting the teg cluster in, i wasnt that hard. And besides i dont need the vss. i got the browntop. smile.gif

dtpten

ibcnya

• HNFTuning
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: his girlfriend crazy
QUOTE (dtpten @ Nov 19 2009, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i want to keep the cluster that came with the motor so that i know my mileage is correct. And since it is a somewhat low mileage motor i didnt mind fitting the teg cluster in, i wasnt that hard. And besides i dont need the vss. i got the browntop. smile.gif

dtpten

Yeah i hear you, i saw a black top and assumed it was a 88-89 engine. Youre gonna like this car when youre done. wink.gif

dtpten

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 hatch with d16a1 brown top wiring almost done! Daily driver 2011 CRZ
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (ibcnya @ Nov 19 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah i hear you, i saw a black top and assumed it was a 88-89 engine. Youre gonna like this car when youre done. wink.gif

Haha i know, i should paint my black cover brown now, jk It was a repaint in black,
if i could get my hands on some authentic honda brown wrinkle paint it would be all over, figuratively speaking. lol!

i guess i could paint brown over the black wrinkle :0 Don't know if i would get the right effect. not really going to try either. i like it black!

dtpten

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
Another pic update.

i found a NOS heater core for 10 bucks!
and since i have the dash off what better time to replace and refoam the heater box.

And here is the harness i'm working on!
Lots of extras still attached.

-dtpten

87civic4wd

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Civic 4wd wagon
Good write up biggrin.gif I am planning on doing this exact same swap on my 87 4wd wagon. I just need to find a brown top and donor car that doesn't have 200k on it (preferably one with less than 120k on it).

I am also near Sacramento

Edited by 87civic4wd, 23 November 2009 - 12:41 AM.

4g64fiero

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 95 eclipse gst/85 honda crx
Nice, so just to be clear, did you end up installing a fuel pump from an Si into your HF? Did it already have one? Sorry for the noobish questions. I have never owned an hf before and am preparing to do this swap.

What wiring harness did you use for the motor and what ecu?

GrafKröte

• & the browntop-hatch
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '87 Honda Civic; '87 Honda Prelude 2.0Si; '86 Honda Civic Shuttle; '92 Mitsubishi Lancer GLXi
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (dtpten @ Nov 19 2009, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i want to keep the cluster that came with the motor so that i know my mileage is correct.

Changing the mileage on the cluster is so easy. Max. 10 minutes work.

But nice project wink.gif I just planed a similar swap. EV1 -> ZC1.

Posted Image

SuperTwinz

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
Might wanna move this thread to Projects.
IG: supertwinz

dtpten

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
i would love if an admin moved my post to the correct area, SWAPS

can this be done?

thank!

dtpten

dtpten

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
I have been back to work on the hatch, just finished pressing out front bearings and wheel studs.

New front wheel bearings and blox extended wheel studs pressed in, installed on car this evening.

Next doing the rear studs and should be very easy compared to the fronts.

Replaced tie rod end on pass side but drivers side is stuck, might end up replacing the tie rod as well.

to do list:

I sourced a 3/4 rear sway bar from a caravan, new links, 2.5" stainless steel exhaust u-clamps, installing after finishing extended studs.

Eng bay harness and cabin harness, yeah i hate wiring!

pics when its daylight, seem to always finish what im doing late at night.

thats all for now

-dtpen

dtpten

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
Any suggestions on what to do about the stuck tie rod end? should i just replace the complete tie rod and trash the whole thing because my wrenches are slippin and even vice grips, map gas, and wd40 are not helping, that thing is stuck on there.

thanks any suggestions would be appreciated!

dtpten

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
penetrating lube is what you should use IMO. This is one of those things where you'd do well to have given it to a shop to do the tie rod so they can struggle with it. Keep trying, it'll come
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

dtpten

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
i was able to modify a crowfeet wrench to fit between the inner tie rod ball joint and the steering rack lock washer, its a tight fit
and I used extensions with a breaker bar to loosen the inner tie rod. I have new parts on the way, the inner tie rod and tie rod bellow, plus already have the new tie rod end. After this is done, i will be slappin the axles back in and its one more step closer..
smile.gif

dtpten

dtpten

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
ran into an issue, maybe someone has the answer.
my donor teg was an auto, of course i swapped to a 5 speed onto the block but im still using the auto cars axles.
so today i was planning on installing the driver side half axle and outer axle, but i couldnt make the inner match up.
the half axle goes in as far as it can but the mounting bracket does not want to line up with holes.
i'm wondering if these axles are specific for an auto trans, slightly longer?
tomorrow im going to my PNP to pull from hopefully 4 tegs i saw on the inventory list.
crosses fingers they are manuals.
also the metal sleeve/bearing cover on the inner spline was hitting the trans case, thus making me believe the case i just made that the auto trans had different length half axles.

if anyone has the knowledge about axles, please let me know.

thanks

dtpten

brian