The Official Rpr Tuck Thread

• You cannot reply to this topic
66 replies to this topic

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
Hello to all. For this summer's focus on my '86 CRX Si project, I'd like to clean up the engine bay as much as possible. Thus, I'd like to do a wire tuck. I've read posts here and there on this topic, but am still very "green" in my knowledge on the subject, and this will definitely be a learning experience for me. If possible, I'd like to get as much advise and input on the best way to approach this on OUR cars before I start. The RPR search tool didn't yield any specific threads on this particular topic, so I thought that it may be of interest to members here to start one. Here's some questions and facts, as well as some things that I'd like to accomplish:

- Like to have a very clean look. Minimal to no wires. I don't have A/C or P/S.
- Stock EW motor
- Battery Relocation: Can I buy the braile mount that Project Dean has, and mount it under the drivers side front fender? Is there room down there? Would like to mount it here with remote terminals on the drivers side of the bay. How to wire this type of set-up?
- A devac was performed on my motor prior to my purchase. So, most of the emissions crap is out of there already. I don't know what's usually there, but I have a pic below for reference. As I understand it, most of the equipment that is usually on the drivers side of the bay is not present in mine.
- Where would the coil pack end up going?
- Where would the fuse boxes/panels go?
- What kind of looming should I use? Where's the best place to purchase this kind of stuff, cheapest supplier, etc..?
- I'll keep the brake lines in the bay. Not wanting to tuck the brake lines. Too much for me first go around I think!
- How do I void the fuel filter in the bay? Is there a more discrete in-line filter solution of some sort that I can do here?
- Wiper Motor: If I keep the wiper function, I have to keep the wiper in the stock location. Otherwise, I can remove it but I lose my wiper function. Correct?
- I'd like to run the brake booster vacuum hose UNDER the master cylinder w/ no kinks in the lines. What's the best way to do this?
- Where do folks get the clear garden-hose type stuff that they use for vacuum lines, etc? It looks clean, might try to incorporate some.
- Want to move away from the stock filter. Probably a CAI type set-up, or simple ram-air. Whats the best way to do this? I know they made set-ups for our cars back in the day, but they are no longer available, correct?

Bay Currently:

Other bay plans: Will a DX valve cover fit on an Si head? I've got some nifty artistic ideas!

Please feel free to post any experiences here that you have, as well as bay pics of your tucked 1G/3G bays and/or progress pics you had during your tuck process.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

ATXBoy

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic Si
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (OG Wagon @ Feb 17 2010, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please feel free to post any experiences here that you have, as well as bay pics of your tucked 1G/3G bays and/or progress pics you had during your tuck process.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Hey OG! your bay is lookin really clean and you have some awesome plans, i too have some of the same! i actually have a buuunch of photos of my bays transformation and will go back and edit in the changes that i notice! smile.gif i will be editing/adding to this post smile.gif

1st up, stocky stock stock, as i purchased the car in nov. 07

oh, wait , guess not. this was after the ignition switch imploded and i got plugs, wires and a new ignition switch, car came with the spectre SUPER COOL air unit

2nd up! this is after my install of my tein MP dampers, niche c/c plates, hks super mega reloaded whatever kit, a new fuel filter, injector resistor and relay "box" relocation to the front of the towers to make way for the amazing blue flying saucers that did land, removal of a/c compressor and condenser and all a/c wiring and emissions unit, removal of washer fluid bottle and lines, routing the coil wires under the intake instead of above, routing the plug wires in frotn of the valve cover instead of atop held by the clutch cable, clutch cable re-rout under the intake manifold, much cleaning in the bay in any area i could reach without worrying about breaking the double decade artifact plastic

and a link to a .gif that alternates between the two images, really good for comparison smile.gif here

[super edit within edit]
2.5(?) + ngks, extensive cleaning, new valve cover ground, oil dipstick, removal of booster line, kansai header install

3rd is this image, in which i had a looot of spare time on my hands while living in california, since my car was my best friend. i spent a lot of time figuring out how to clean up the bay by just sitting in front of it and trying stuff! The addition of NGK wires that i got from some place online for like 25 bucks or something, NOS MISB 80s or 90s units O_O! i got a new plug wire clip that is more tucked away and allows the wires to lay really naturally, a better adjusted top hat alignment allowing for max caster at -2.4º camber (i think it was about 4.9 or something like that? really solid steering smile.gif and still really easy), detaching the coil wires from the firewall and allowing them to drop don and be tucked under the throttle cable revealing a loot of firewall making for a VERRY clean appearance without and coil relocation. Man i need to use more correct punctuation! Flipped throttle cable bracket and run throttle cable under emission hoses and pcv line, removal of brake booster line and plugging of Intake manifold, all new bay bolts which are socket head allen bolts with nylon countersunk washers. Mugen brake reservoir cover, valve cover stripping and half shaving haha, New valve cover ground spun up for tyteness. EXTENSIVE CLEANING (lot of time on my hands haha) relocation of map sensor without any rewiring or any new parts, just easy relocation that give you a really nice and barren firewall smile.gif

aaaand a link to a .gif of the first three pictures! smile.gif here

and a .gif between the first and third here

4th= fuel line routing correction, fuel pressure gauge added, distributor connector tuck, fuel injector harness tuck

close up on harness tucking (no rewiring)

5, battery drop to frame rail, motorcycle battery from wal-mart (only $50), custom strap brackets, waaaay lighter smile.gif

yeah i havent had a job in about 6 months so ive been lacking funds to do anything to the bay but i just got a new one so here we go again! smile.gif

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
This is going to be a great thread! I hope to learn a lot from you guys. wink.gif
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

C8V6C

Mine, but to be fair, I don't run all the same stuff you guys do....

To answer some of your questions that I know :

You should be able to fit a small battery almost anywhere in the bay, including under the headlights as an idea, but I ended up running mine behind the pass seat.

Fuse boxes can be relocated inside the cabin, under the dash for instance.

I used ghetto loom...pretty cheap by the foot. I didnt want anything fancy, just black.

I run an aftermarket fuel pump and filter, and yes, the inline filter is right after the pump mounted in the rear. Since I don't have a stock setup, I'd rather someone else chime in, but you can run inline anywhere you want with fuel lines.

I took out my wiper motor and etc

You can flip the brake booster upside down, thats what I did. Its easy to run the hose under the mani that way.

As far as the intake goes, you can get something custom made...thats how we do charge pipes/exhausts

My only real advice is to try to bring everything under the mani. I went thru the heater hose holes, but if you need to use your heater, you can just drill a hole or get creative. I also ran some misc under the fenders, that works too.

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

Forcefed Si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: turbo'ed 87 Civic Si Hatchback and a heavily modified jeep wrangler
This is a good thread, i just did a super mild tuck running the wires for the headlights, turn signals etc. through the fenders. I'll put some pictures up after I take some. I'm excited to follow this thread

olskurida

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si, 00 Integra GSR (Stolen), 01 E55 AMG (sold), 07 Audi A4 S-Line
    Garage View Garage
If you are looking for looms or sleeves for your wires try https://www.wirecare.com/index.asp? They got some exotic military/ space craft sleeves pricing is pretty good too. biggrin.gif

For those braided clear tubing any Lowe's or Home Depot should have them. Yea yea I know we shouldn't use home products for our cars, but it worked for me.

GL with the build

importzero

yes this is going to be a very good thread here is my wire tuck

i lost the wiper motor complety and put the ignition coil and 6al with wire needed on the inside of the wiper area and also put an msd extended wire for distributor

any wires need to for headlight turning signals and foglight went thru the inside fender

fuse box was put inside the lower area were the ac unit use to go to

also completey eliminated the heater core system

fuel i cut stoke and put a fuel filter and for brake left as it is

still need to finish some detail but hope u like it ph34r.gif

turbo zc !!!!!!

Jayscrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 06 Honda CRV , 08 Honda Fit Sport , 86 CRX Si
QUOTE (C8V6C @ Feb 17 2010, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mine, but to be fair, I don't run all the same stuff you guys do....

To answer some of your questions that I know :

You should be able to fit a small battery almost anywhere in the bay, including under the headlights as an idea, but I ended up running mine behind the pass seat.

Fuse boxes can be relocated inside the cabin, under the dash for instance.

I used ghetto loom...pretty cheap by the foot. I didnt want anything fancy, just black.

I run an aftermarket fuel pump and filter, and yes, the inline filter is right after the pump mounted in the rear. Since I don't have a stock setup, I'd rather someone else chime in, but you can run inline anywhere you want with fuel lines.

I took out my wiper motor and etc

You can flip the brake booster upside down, thats what I did. Its easy to run the hose under the mani that way.

As far as the intake goes, you can get something custom made...thats how we do charge pipes/exhausts

My only real advice is to try to bring everything under the mani. I went thru the heater hose holes, but if you need to use your heater, you can just drill a hole or get creative. I also ran some misc under the fenders, that works too.

Dude, that is a very clean engine bay! The best one I have ever seen. The white and red really helps set it off. Good job!

Jay V.

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yes, the Dx valve cover will fit, you will have to extend the tube to it, seeing that its on the opposite side. You gonna use the 86-87 or 84-85 (my fav) valve cover?
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

C8V6C

QUOTE (Jayscrx @ Feb 18 2010, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude, that is a very clean engine bay! The best one I have ever seen. The white and red really helps set it off. Good job!

Jay V.

Thanks! It's not perfect, but I am happy with my work ESP since it was my first time.

I would like to do the brake lines also, but Like mentioned in the first post, it was too daunting for a first timer (or at least me smile.gif )

ATXBoy

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic Si
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (C8V6C @ Feb 18 2010, 05:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks! It's not perfect, but I am happy with my work ESP since it was my first time.

I would like to do the brake lines also, but Like mentioned in the first post, it was too daunting for a first timer (or at least me smile.gif )

and make that firewall look good since its so open to be seen now ph34r.gif maybe weld in another piece to replace the dented section?

C8V6C

Haven't fully decided yet if I was gonna keep yhe chassis, but I did consider that option.

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I love tucked bays.. they look so clean.. I wish we could devac and tuck legally here in Ca.. Lucky guys..

Jaminak

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 84 1500 Coupe, 89 Cherokee
When I started my tuck I read that post on HT - all 10 million pages. Maybe I skipped a few. But I got a lot of excitement and ideas from there. I didn't use much as my budget is pretty limited and, obviously, our cars are much different.

Stock

Getting it running

Making the harness - gotta love carbs! I used the corrugated looming you can get at home depot. Not the cheapest or the best looking. But they had it on hand. I covered the loom with electrical tape like stock.

Inside the firewall, passenger side. I put everything here: coil, fuses, etc.

Initially I was going to get rid of the heater. But to pass safety you need a defroster. Plus it's dang cold in the winter. However the blower fan went out this winder and it never really warms up that much. DX cover on a Si head. The clear tube on the back left is from where the PCV valve used to go. It's just a vent now. I'm not sure what I'll do with it. I have the main harness coming out of the stock location. I thought about having it come out somewhere under the intake, but decided against that for a few reasons. I didn't want to patch the stock hole. There was no gromet that fit that hole. And I like that it looks sort of stock (ok, not really). Also, gotta love the chock cable off my old bike! It hurt to pull tho.

Got the gasket for the HF cover.

I got a new radiator and removed the fan. This cleaned it up more. I need to get a push fan for the other side now. It runs nice and cold - unless I drive on the freeway and then wait in line at a drive thru. blink.gif The blue wire you see is to the coil on the inside of the firewall.

This was the most fun thing I did to my car. It was my first time too. I was way nervous that I was going to mess it all up. But it all worked out. I used solder and spliced in (and out) a lot of wire. Next major step is getting the fuel lines taken care of. I have an electric pump. I just need some motivation to do it. The cold isn't helping. I'm going to put it where the stock Si pump is.

-Jamin

3rd1stGEN

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si; '07 Tundra; '01 Honda Magna
    • Image Gallery
Man, all the nice clean engine bays are going to shame me into getting out this weekend and cleaning mine up. Don't know why but I have always been nervous that I'm going to screw something up when I clean engine bays. Water + Electrical parts in my mind don't mix. I know to cover the dizzy and other typical stuff, but I still get nervous.