Bad Leak...

• You cannot reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic

BlankReg

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '86 civic si hatch, '92 civic si hatch
The question: Why does the drivers side floorboard fill up with an inch of water when it rains, AND the front of the car is parked on and downward slope?

After several hours with the hose, i believe that water is leaking somehow from the sunroof into the headliner, and then working is way to the floorboard. much to my dismay, this only happens when the sunroof is in place. as in, if the roof is out, and you fill the "gutter" with water, it seems to drain through the holes on each corner. with the sunroof in place, thing go terribly wrong. for example, water is dripping from the screws that hold on the drivers side SUN VISOR... sheesh.

So my question is, now what? do i replace the seal around the sunroof glass? do i remove the headliner? if i remove the headliner will i be able to make sure the drains are still connected? right now i'm seriously considering going after the sunroof with the caulk gun and some silicone... won't that look sexy?

Edited by BlankReg, 19 September 2004 - 09:46 AM.

oldschoolsi

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si
my crx did that.........never figured out why. I just put a crap load of silicone up under the headliner where the sunroof attached to the car and it stopped.

sspcivic31

• Grog no like , Car no work! ARRGH!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
my 87 civic si did the same thing. i thought it was a bad seal from the windshield being replaced, but it ended up being the drain tube for the sunroof. take an air blower and blowdown the tube to try and dislodge the clog. you might also try the inner fender in the front wheel well were the drain exits. leaves and road debris will end up in there as well which can clog the drains.

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
ive herd this about every honda that has a sun roof
Posted Image

Jordan

• Yea, I drive a POS...so what?
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic Si, 1986 Honda Civic Si
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
this is what has happened on both sides of my civics drain pipes.

heres what i did:
1)take out seats(whichever side is leaking)
2)pull up carpet
3)take out that little plastic thing that is under the dash, next to the door
4) find where the drain pipe running down the headliner meets to the tube that runs to the fender
5)make sure that the hose is on all the way.

there should be a clamp or something along those lines holding it in. its the most common problem with the civic's/crx's.

-jordan

BlankReg

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86 civic si hatch, '92 civic si hatch
QUOTE (Jordan @ Sep 19 2004, 12:16 PM)
4) find where the drain pipe running down the headliner meets to the tube that runs to the fender
5)make sure that the hose is on all the way.

the thing is, when i fill the "gutter" for the sunroof, and open the car door, i can see where the water is draining on the drivers side. the problem doesn't happen unless the sunroof is in place, and closed. i'm beginning to think that one of the drains has become detached up by the roof, rather than down by the wheel. further, my guess is that it is the back right gutter, and that water is then draining directly into the headliner, and then running down towards the front of the car, and eventually down the beam by the windshield, and on down to the floorboard. just a guess. i know for a fact that water is getting into the headliner somehow, since it is dripping out of the sun visor.

just out of curiosity, what is on the otherside of the headliner? is it just the frame of the car, and the outer metal skin? is there another layer of metal between the headliner and the outside? if i remove the headliner, will i be able to check the drains for the sun roof? and last but not least, how the heck to i take the damn thing out? everying seems to overlap the edge of the liner...

also, can anyone recommend a good cheap air compressor? i figure it can hurt to try and blow out the drains...

man, my car smells like mold now. oh joy.

oldschoolsi

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si
if you pull down the headliner all that is there is the frame for the sunroof and the frame of the roof. You will be able to see the drain tubes if you take out the headliner.

Jordan

• Yea, I drive a POS...so what?
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic Si, 1986 Honda Civic Si
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (BlankReg @ Sep 19 2004, 01:18 PM)
man, my car smells like mold now.  oh joy.

Take out your efin carpet man.

ChrisF-dude