• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

metal_guitar76

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 89 Honda civic, fuel injected
    Garage View Garage
ok......I'm in nearly the same position I was 3 months ago.....I need to do the headgasket on my 87 honda civic rt , stationwagon myself or with someones help.....I've been a little afraid of doing this repair in the past since it seems so involved and I've heard about a couple of people doing it wrong and messing up their cars.. I've been working on cars since I was in my teens, but I've never messed with the inside of the motor for fear of scewing up the motor......

anyway.....can u guys share your personal experiences and knowledge of the step by step procedure
for doing the headgasket.....I can't afford for a shop to do it and i guess its time I learned how to do this repair.....i love my car and I don't want to sell it ......does anyone have the link to the online manuel for the complete headgasket repair? I plan on following it step by step and also incorporating any personal knowledge and exp. that you guys have on this particular repair.....also...exactly what supplies and tools will i need? I plan on starting this repair next week so hopefully I'll be done by the coming weekend....yesterday (fri) I noticed the antifreeze mixing with the oil so i'm parking/fixing the headgasket soon since the antifreeze and oil have just started mixing and I'm hoping no permanent or other damage was done.....this car was rumored to have a new head and headgasket when I got it 3 months ago but maybe the repair was faulty or the thermostats were causing a blockage
ruined this gasket...i dunno....

anyway...any help appreciated and if anyone wanted to help me with this repair and kind of teach me , I could offer a little monetary compensation, (something fair)...u can message me if your interested in helping with this repair and your near raleigh.....

Edited by metal_guitar76, 19 February 2011 - 03:36 PM.

Driving down the road, stereo cranked !!!

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
Look up at the top of the website - there is a link to the manual up there.

Kirk

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
The question was asked me in a PM so I made a small writeup. I'll make it public here for others' reference and scrutiny: If you disagree with anything or have something to add please do.
I only ask you don't quote my whole post but just the section you are directly discussing so that it doesn't flood the thread. (In fact I'll make it a quote so you can't just "reply" to it) tongue.gif

QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ Feb 19 2011, PMed to OP)
Only dive in if you're absolutely sure it's needed. Would suck to do the work and spend the money only to find out it's the carb or an injector.

If possible I'd recommend having a shop do a leakdown test on your car. They pump compressed air into the cylinders and listen for where it leaks to help localize where the compression is leaking.
Oil filler cap means bad rings. (possibly head gasket or cracked head but not as likely as rings)
Boiling coolant means head gasket. (possibly cracked head)
Hissing into intake manifold means intake valves. (Cam timing; Lash too tight; poorly seating or bent)
Hissing into exhaust means exhaust valves. (Cam timing; Lash too tight; poorly seating, bent, or burnt)

http://www.redpepper...hap6/?g2_page=2

Follow what's in there and you should be good. Don't be afraid to skip some steps that you're willing to take a chance on (Like measuring the cam for example, it's not likely that it's bad)

I'll give you a quick rundown of the quick and dirty way to change the head gasket. You can add steps and checks from the manual as you see fit.

1) Remove the top timing belt cover, put the car in gear (4th) with parking brake on, and brake loose the cam gear bolt and crank pulley bolt.
2) Lift the front of the car and put it on stands so you're safe to crawl around under the car.
4) Pop open the rad cap and drain 4L of coolant through the drain plug on the bottom of the rad. (catch it in a clean container, if the coolant is clean you can reuse it.) Disconnect the coolant hoses.
3) Remove the spark plugs/wires, disconnect the throttle cable and tuck it out of the way, remove the intake plumbing from the manifold, disconnect the valve cover breather tube, unbolt the distributor (and pump if carbed) and tilt it out of the way.
4) Remove the bracket securing the intake manifold to the block, you'll probably have to do this from under the car.
5) Brake the intake manifold bolts loose, and snug them back up, keep the intake manifold attached to the head for now.
6) The luck bit, unbolt your exhaust manifold from the head hopefully without snapping studs. You should be able to pull the manifold off the studs and the weight will pull it away from the head.
7) Remove the alternator belt, crank pulley, all timing belt covers and the timing belt. Throw away old timing belt tongue.gif
8) Remove valve cover and cam gear (don't loose the cam gear key, the piece of metal that keeps the cam gear from spinning around the cam)
9) Punch holes in a piece of cardboard to organize your head bolts and remove them installing it into said cardboard. The head bolts are 2 different sizes and need to go back where they came from. *Note - remove the head bolts in a spiral pattern starting form outside working your way to the centre.*
---The oil and coolant absorbed by the head gasket and cured by heat will act as an epoxy gluing the head to the block---
10) Using the intake manifold as a leaver, break the head loose. You can tap the intake manifold with a 2x4 from underneath to help brake it loose.
11) Once the head is loose, unbolt the intake manifold and tilt it out of the way. *note - you don't need to disconnect any vacuum lines, just the throttle cable, intake plumbing and valve cover breather*
12) Pull the head straight up and off the block. Plug the oil and coolant passages with paper towel to prevent junk falling in.
13) Clean all gasket surfaces of old gasket material.
--On the head that's the exhaust ports, intake ports, valve cover mating surface, and engine mating surface.
--In the engine bay that is the block deck, the intake manifold, and the exhaust manifold. Also clean the head bolt holes from oil and junk. Clean cylinders of junk that fell in while cleaning the other stuff.
14) Check the head, make sure it's not warped http://www.redpepper...p6/aar.png.html
15)Inspect the valves for signs of cracking, poor seating, burning, or bending.
---You might consider taking the head into a shop to have it refreshed, then they will do all that for you. It means shop labour, but if the shop is good you'll end up with a head that good as new.----

You are now ready to reassemble the engine, the procedure is in reverse, all the torque specs and alignments are found in the manual link at the top of this message.

When you're done, change the oil.

I'm from Canada so I can't recommend anything in terms of a store (I use Lordco because I have an account I can use there), but people here have good luck buying parts at www.rockauto.com. You can get your gasket kit there.

Only "special" tools you'll need are a torque wrench to tighten up the head bolts (refer to service manual link for range) and a mechanics/machinists straight edge (not needed if you send the head to a shop to have it refreshed)

Going this far in you might consider re-ringing your pistons and honing your cylinders, only thing that adds is to remove the oil pan, undo rod end bolts, push the pistons out the top of the engine and re-ring them (or send them to the shop with the head) Adds a few hours, cost of rings, and requires a piston ring spreader/compressor and a cylinder hone.
If you choose to do this, make sure to track the direction and position of your pistons and rod caps. Since you're not replacing the rod barrings you need them to go back in the exact spot and direction they came from. You find the torque specs for the rod caps in the service manual under "Engine Block" (chapter 7)

metal_guitar76

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 89 Honda civic, fuel injected
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ Feb 19 2011, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The question was asked me in a PM so I made a small writeup. I'll make it public here for others' reference and scrutiny: If you disagree with anything or have something to add please do.
I only ask you don't quote my whole post but just the section you are directly discussing so that it doesn't flood the thread. (In fact I'll make it a quote so you can't just "reply" to it) tongue.gif

well I'm starting disassembly today...I'm gonna take my time as to not mess things up.....
i'm gonna print this response and use the link manuel as I go.......kinda sucks but i guess this is do-able for me.....i'm actually a little excited to get this exp. under my belt, but like I said..I wanna do everything right so this does not turn into a horror story.....lol

+++ Update+++

its 9:48pm (sun) and I finished the begininng disassembly/ oil clean up stuff....i basically removed the sp plug wires, plugs, drained screwed up oil and cleaned valve cover and valves....removed oil filter
egr, and almost all the top intake mani nuts... they looked easy so I just wd-40'd them and used a 12 mm, unhooked breather and breather related stuff,

(what a mess the crap oil was sad.gif

My next questions are:

1- Where are the bolts that are supposed to be under the car that needs to be removed for the intake
manifold?..... are they way far down or are they just kinda below the top intake manifold bolts?

2- Next, I'm slipping off the timing belt soon......Do I just turn the camshaft to topdead center so # 1 and #4 pistons are up? Do I just turn the crankshaft and/ or camshaft to do this? with a wrachet on either or both pullys? I'd hate to screw up my timing and valves.....also I hear that when I slip off the timing belt..it will stay where it needs to on the crankshaft...is that true? i don't want any slippage or moving of the crankshaft and messin up my car....

3-Whats the best procedure for removing the distributer? I removed my spark plugs and wires and
marked the to the appropriate cylinder......should i just make some marks on it to re-align during reassembly? Should I remove the timing belt...then the distributer..or vice versa?

appreciate the replys and help....

Edited by metal_guitar76, 20 February 2011 - 10:03 PM.

Driving down the road, stereo cranked !!!