• You cannot reply to this topic
34 replies to this topic

rextec

• coming along.......
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 crx si, 98 civic dx hb
    • Image Gallery
i just got an 86 crx si and needed someone to steer me in the right direction for making some good power on the EW motor. anyone have any tuning tips or links for the EW series motors? ive heard of people making 180 whp on carbs, so i know this motor has potetial.

TIA!!!

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
Slap a D16A1 head on it like mr. gtpilot did.
EW/DOHC hybrid thread

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (-TJ @ Nov 11 2003, 10:05 PM)
Slap a D16A1 head on it like mr. gtpilot did.
EW/DOHC hybrid thread

Did you guys ever get any #'s on that engine?

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
Chris,

I have about 650 miles on the motor now, have not been past 5500 RPM and have not been anywhere near full throttle yet. The motor really seems get lively above 4500, but it is still too new to pull any dyno runs. In a few more weeks I will have a chance to get more miles on it and get it opened up - then it will by dyno time.

Kirk

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I am currious as to the Numbers on that thing, So post them when you got em.

Kirk- did you see my oil-pick-up picture?

Doodson

DarkHand

QUOTE (gtpilot @ Nov 12 2003, 03:18 PM)
Chris,

I have about 650 miles on the motor now, have not been past 5500 RPM and have not been anywhere near full throttle yet.  The motor really seems get lively above 4500, but it is still too new to pull any dyno runs.  In a few more weeks I will have a chance to get more miles on it and get it opened up - then it will by dyno time.

Kirk

Kirk:

Have you ever thought of using the MotoMan break-in method? Several people at hondaswap used it and gave it rave reviews.

http://www.mototuneu..._in_secrets.htm
DarkHand

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
I have used that type of break in procedure for my race motors for years and it has never failed me - the motors have always made good numbers.

Since I used Total Seal Rings in the street motor, they call for a different cross hatch pattern and depth for this particular ring. I do load the ring up with pressure in the lower RPM range and let the RPM catch up to the throttle opening and let the motor spin out until it has reached the "balance speed" for throttle opening and RPM. Believe me, I am not being hard on the engine - or easy - just what I feel is prudent. Total Seal Rings are harder than the stock ring...with the differnce in the ring material and the cross hatch pattern and depth it takes a little more time to completely seat. But, the Total Seal rings have significantly less blow by or leakdown from the get go than do the stock rings - which is what MotoMan is trying to avoid.

Right or wrong? Who knows - but the butt dyno is impressed so far!

Kirk

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
The D16 head on a EW block is exciting, and some people like to slap a turbo on that engine, but there is another alternative.

Getting back to the orginal question....

The EW motor can make some pretty good numbers with the Si head. Basically, the restriction on power with the EW/D15A3 engine is the stock induction. In their infinite wisdom, Honda gave the USDM version of that engine a tiny throttlebody to breathe through.

Racers get their big numbers by opening up the intake side of the engine (with side draft carbs). A street driven car benefits from a larger throttlebody, a job that requires some fabricating to modify the stock intake plenum to accept a larger TB.

But a larger TB is not all you will need to do. A more agressive cam, P & P, port matching, etc. are part of the job. But you should be able to squeeze some good power out of the EW/D15A3.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Dan-O

Scott,
I'm curious what you would call 'Good power' 10 HP, 15?

So a performance cam, a milled head, porting and a larger TB would yield close to a D16a1 swap? I am trying to go low $$ here and am exploring all my options as well.

87X

• Mazdawgin
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1993 Mazda B2200 Pickup
    • Image Gallery
so i heard that an integra tb will fit onto the Si I/M with light mods, how much of an upgrade on intake you think that is?

also if you are using a turbo app on an Si head would it really make that much of a difference between Si and integra tb's?

Dan-O

Ah yes, thanks for bringing that up! I have an '89 'teg TB sitting on the shelf as well as access to a few other TB's as well. I was wondering if fabricating a plate was a worthwhile tweak.

CSPCRX

Our last motor, CSP Solo2 rules. Made 155 hp with TWM, Electromotive, 10 over pistons, and a P&P head with 85 SI cam. Its a lot of money for not a lot of hp. Id just do a motor swap unless your a purest.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

mugen

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1988 turbo supra
Getting back at the head swap. If i were to get a d16 head off a 89 crx would it fit right onto the engine of an 86 crx si or would there have to be any other adjustments. I would like get a d16 head on it and get it p&p, and cam. thanks. biggrin.gif

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
Mugen,
No - the D16A6 head from the 88-91 Civic/CRX Si does not bolt up. It's close, one head mounting hole must be dragged to line up.

The D16 head we are talking about is the D16A1 from the 86-89 Integra. These bolt right onto the EW block. The 86-87 head is set up for the vacuum advance distributor where the 88-89 head requires upgrading your wiring for the electronic advance distributor.

It is not simply a matter of slapping the head on though. You've got to fabricate a 2nd timing belt tensioner (or pay me to make another one).

See the original EW/D16A1 build up thread where there is a link to pictures of the build.

-TJ

Krispy

• Shiggity
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (CSPCRX @ Nov 13 2003, 02:34 AM)
Our last motor, CSP Solo2 rules. Made 155 hp with TWM, Electromotive, 10 over pistons, and a P&P head with 85 SI cam.  Its a lot of money for not a lot of hp. Id just do a motor swap unless your a purest.

155hp......at the wheels or crank? I will presume crank......so 135 or 140 at the wheels.........pretty good. but lots of $$ for the TWM's
cough.....P&P in CSP??? cough........ ummm i'm pretty sure you can't be doin that shizzal in CSP.

PS, With my SI Motor, with; header, open Exhuast, Mild P&P head, Stock cam, i'm making 100hp at the wheels. So 113hp.......so 113-91=22hp gain. Not bad.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
When Stefan was once told that he might be faster if not for his flamboyant sideways style, he replied "one is not always trying to make babies when having sex!"