Would Zc Fit Easily?

• You cannot reply to this topic
32 replies to this topic

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (-TJ @ Apr 6 2004, 06:33 PM)
removing the VSS from the stamped steel speedo chassis is easier said than done.

Much easier to just swap a HF speedo unit in place of the Dx/Si unit.  You've got to match instrument brands though - NS will not fit in a denso cluster & vice versa.

How do you tell an HF from a DX if there is no badging on the vehicle? I went to the wrecker today and they had an 85 Si (missing the wing sad.gif ) but I did get the white CRX logo panel between the tail lights......pretty mint too. But they had a second 1g.....it had no badging, but it was carb'd.....so how do i tell what it is?(Did the speedo in an HF go up to 140 mph and the DX only 120? I noticed that the 85 Si went up to 140 as well.....)

They also had 6 88-89 teg's....going back for the

-map sensor
-complete wiring harness
-fuse box

probably tomorrow.

So.....is there any other way around the whole VSS issue......theres got to be another way to do it.
SportInjectedClub

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
To identify an HF, look for the shift light in the cluster (an up arrow between the speedo & tach).

There's more than a few ways to satisfy the VSS issue -

-Swap in the correct brand HF speedo unit.

-Swap in any 88-89 Integra, or 88-91 Civic/CRX speedo unit (the rate at which the needle moves will not match the speed it's pointing to in the 1G cluster though). You also have to swap the trip reset sub-assy from the 1G onto the newer VSS speedo unit.

-Get a Zdyne ECU from HASport which has the VSS removed.

-Check with the PGM-FI phorum to see if they have found the location of the VSS in the ROM & how to remove it.

-Build a simple electronic circuit that feeds the ECU 5v pulses.

-Get an electronic VSS unit from a 92+ Civic(?) and wire it to the ECU. This will replace the cable drive unit in the transmission - you will have no functional speedo at all, but the VSS signal to the ECU will be satisfied.

-TJ

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (-TJ @ Apr 6 2004, 06:33 PM)
removing the VSS from the stamped steel speedo chassis is easier said than done.

Much easier to just swap a HF speedo unit in place of the Dx/Si unit.  You've got to match instrument brands though - NS will not fit in a denso cluster & vice versa.

installing a VSS in a CRX cluster is every bit as easy to do as it is to say.

removing the VSS pulser from the stamped steel speedo housing in a CRX is VERY easy. stupid easy. if you don't find it easy, you should not be doing ANY car work.

you just take the pulser off an 88-89 integra speedo, plug it into the CRX speedometer cluster, grind away some of the plastic on the CRX housing, use the integra amp (or HF amp, depending on which wiring harness you are using), and voila, you have VSS.

it's NOT hard at all.

http://www.redpepper...?showtopic=7451

Edited by shadowboy, 07 April 2004 - 12:30 PM.

Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph