Would Zc Fit Easily?

• You cannot reply to this topic
32 replies to this topic

10minutecrx

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 CRX
Hi, I was wondering if anybody here knew if the JDM ZC blacktop motor would fit into a 86 CRX I am considering buying. I wanted to know if I could use the transmission the CRX already has, and bolt that to the ZC motor.

Also, could I switch to carbs on the JDM motor for simplicity?

I want to swap a higher powered motor into the CRX, but I want to use the existing trans, is there a swap that lets you do this?

I don't want to go through the hassle of swapping out the hubs and axles, because I really don't want to pay alot for parts, because I am not paying that much for the car.

Thanks for any help.

pwr_crx

You will have to switch the transmission to do a ZC swap. You can get a D16 motor out of a first gen integra if you want a cheaper swap.
Bryan....
user posted image

87 Si Dohc - T

10minutecrx

• Granny
  • Pip
Ok, thanks

Would I have to swap hubs and axles too?

Would the teg motor use the same trans?

I would rather use the JDM ZC for the most power, but if it's too complicated I will go with something else.

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
I am getting ready to do a ZC swap myself........yes the black top will fit. Thats the one I am using too. You will need to get yourself the knuckles/hubs because you have to use 1g integra axles. It's not really all that complicated....just a bit of wiring.

Make sure you also get the integra mounts, it requires a combination of CRX and Integra mounts to fit.
SportInjectedClub

crxmobber

• Mobbin Clean
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, 85 CRX Si, 98 prelude, 5th Gen VFR, WRX
    • Image Gallery
Hi, I was wondering if anybody here knew if the JDM ZC blacktop motor would fit into a 86 CRX I am considering buying
No. the black top zc has differnent mount locations than the Brown top zc and if you want it to fit you have to fabricate yourself some mounts. The u.s. integra blacktop d16a1 will fit just like the brown top. I would recommend getting either a brown top zc or a u.s. d16a1.
I wanted to know if I could use the transmission the CRX already has, and bolt that to the ZC motor.

no. you use the 86-89 integra tranny, cv axles, intermediate shaft and hubs.

SportInjectedClub

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (crxmobber @ Apr 2 2004, 09:30 PM)
Hi, I was wondering if anybody here knew if the JDM ZC blacktop motor would fit into a 86 CRX I am considering buying

No. the black top zc has differnent mount locations than the Brown top zc and if you want it to fit you have to fabricate yourself some mounts. The u.s. integra blacktop d16a1 will fit just like the brown top. I would recommend getting either a brown top zc or a u.s. d16a1.

Sigh. The 88-89 JDM Integra/Quint black top ZC will bolt in the same as the brown top. The differences are wiring for the VSS. Everything else is the same.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
Make sure the motor you're buying has the valve cover bolts on the inside rather
than the outside of the cover. This is an easy visual indicator of 1G ZCs and 2G
ZCs (- referred to as "black tops").

JAKOB biggrin.gif
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

10minutecrx

• Granny
  • Pip
The ZC I am talking about came out of a 88-91.

What is the difference in the VSS wiring?

What mounts do I need to change?

Is there any motor swap that would use the same trans?

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
Here is the set up I suggest (it is also the one I am using).....this way you dont have to wire the VSS.

-Black top ZC
-PM7 ECU (that is the black top ecu)
-88-91 Civic/CRX Si wiring harness - USDM version

If you use that, you dont have to worry about the VSS. It is already pinned into the ECU and the wiring harness is pinned for it as well ph34r.gif

EDIT: The only place you may have to worry about it......is at the speedometer. Thats just something I heard. But I asked several of the techs at work and they all said with that ECU and the Si wiring harness......there should be no worries.

Edited by eastsiderider, 03 April 2004 - 02:08 PM.

SportInjectedClub

crxmobber

• Mobbin Clean
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, 85 CRX Si, 98 prelude, 5th Gen VFR, WRX
    • Image Gallery

Sigh. The 88-89 JDM Integra/Quint black top ZC will bolt in the same as the brown top. The differences are wiring for the VSS. Everything else is the same.

Well the 88-89 jdm integra/quint black top zc engines must be kinda rare because I've never seen one or heard of one until now. The reason I said to get the brown top is because I remember my experience when i got a black top zc from my local engine importer and it had the wrong mount locations. what made the situation worse was the fact that the guy who works there didn't speak much english and we were having alot of communication problems. And the fact that there is so many different types of Zc's can get really confusing.So I guess the best way to make sure you have the right engine is to check that it has the driver side engine mount on the front of the block and that the valve cover bolts are on the inside of the valve cover and you should be good to go. Good luck. biggrin.gif

Edited by crxmobber, 03 April 2004 - 06:10 PM.

SportInjectedClub

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Tom is just saying, make sure the ZC you get is out of 88-89 Integra NOT an 88-89 CRX. Just remember the 88-89 Integra is still a 1g......where the 88-89 CRX is a 2g.

EDIT: Just find an importer who you can communicate with better.

Edited by eastsiderider, 03 April 2004 - 07:01 PM.

SportInjectedClub

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (crxmobber @ Apr 3 2004, 06:07 PM)
I've never seen one or heard of one until now.

Well, now you can say you HAVE seen one:

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
ohmy.gif WOW!

Tom is that in your car? Plus, if you have any other pics I would love to see them.

Why does the distributor are look so big?
SportInjectedClub

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
It was my car. RIP. The drivetrain is in Boman's car now. I hear it rips pretty good. Not sure what you mean about the distributor?

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
So, someone help me out here as I have been debating this same scenario on another forum. Mainly what is 1G vs 2G. The part that I would like clarification on is what year/model the 2G came in.

Here is what I know about it so please correct me if I am wrong. 2G black top ZC came in the 88-91 CRX/Civic platform. Most predominant distinguishing factors are: different mount location(centre of timing cover vs the front of block), valve cover bolts ouside rather than in centre, cam gears different number of teeth than 1G, non VTEC and probably several more items. That being the ZC, was there any USDM equivalent that a lower powered version came in?

I do have one reference that the 2G ZC came in the 88-91 4G Civic Si EF chassis. Since it is a non VTEC is it not basically the precursor to the B sseries motor?

And the 4G 89-92 JDM CRX Si6/1.6i EF chassis. But don't know if this was a B series ZC or a non VTEC like the Civic? I'm thinking this one may be a B16A ZC because of the one year later model year.

Thanks for any clarification on this or somewhere that I might find the documentation. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.