When/how Did You Get Turned On To Hondas?

• You cannot reply to this topic
60 replies to this topic

r49crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 crx si
i had always been a big chevy fan(not the pile of shit little ones) preferably the cameros(67-69),chevelles(64-70) and the trucks(67-72) until about two years ago when i met a very good friend of mine that was a factory subaru mechanic. he has played with the imports since the early eighties. he was working on a later model 300zx for a guy, that was FAR from stock, and took me for a ride as a "test drive". i was rather impressed in how the car felt at speed.
over the next couple of months i started checking some of the imports out and liked what i saw.when the same friend fell into an 85 crx si for 150.00 and didn't have a use for it i offered him what he paid and now i sit with my first import. i'm sure there will be an impreza wrx in my future, i'm pretty positive the crx will parked next to it.

frank

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
You can blame Doodson for my love of hondas.

My friend in college had the Si.... when it was still a DX, it was his beater car, but it got great gas mileage and it was a fun little car to bomb around in. He also let me learn standard on that car... even before I got a lisence! It was the first car I ever drove on the road.

Then we took it to mission and saw Doodson eating up the track in his...... it was that moment there that I said "I want to do that" and decided that was my car of choice.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

JDN14

This was all from 2003-present so im post F&F.

I had an 86 Mercury Capri as my DD during high school and before i went to college i wanted something that got better than 12mpg. I was inspired by pocketrocket's (before i knew her) 86 Si (which i later bought) in the school parking lot. I thought to myself (still being a muscle car guy all the way) if i had to have a Honda id get one of those. A search on autotrader one day yielded an 85 CRX Si two miles from my house (a miracle, believe me, the only things in my hometown were camaros and trucks).

It was love at first sight. The car needed an alternator but had a new starter, axles, and clutch. I preached about how i wouldnt spend ANY money at all on the car and use it only as a to and from college car. I auto-xed it in GS while i still had temporary tags on it (who said it couldnt be a fun college car?).

Then i got my graduation money. I did a few small mods and found RPR after about 6 months of ownership, and you know the rest.

enjoy,

Jacques
93 Toyota Previa: Mid Engine, AWD people mover.

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
My best friend Matt (Acidbeaver) got himself an 89 Si our senior year of high school. It was a fun little thing, and when the head gasket went on it, he did a ZC swap. It got me interested in cars (and driving for that matter, my only other consistant driving experience was a 94ish Voyager) and it kinda went downhill from there. After spending a year away at college, I came home and picked up the first CRX I could find. Big mistake. $1000 87 DX that had more wrong with it than I could list, died on me within a year. Back to the family van. I had every intention of getting another CRX and began plans for the CRVtec swap. A year or so later, when I'd saved up, I got my 87 CRX Si, Silverbolt. When Matt went into the service, I temporarily bought his car and ran it as a GRM challange car. This past summer, when he took the car back and I needed a daily driver while Silverbolt was holed up getting the swap, I got my latest one, a good condition 87 DX, Firebert.

ballade

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si B16A / 1992 Integra RS B18C
    • Image Gallery
I think it was the summer of 87 or 88, I was 14 at the time anyway my father took me to the track and we watched these honda CRX's battle it out against corvetts and mustangs. I was in love. A few years later I bought my first Car a red 1984 CRX DX, had that sucker for almost 10 years. finally traded it in for a 1985 CRXsi (My dream car).

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery
In 1975 my Dad bought one of the first CVCC Honda Civics for me to drive. I made payments to him, and he made payments to the loan company. I think my Mom thought I was going to kill myself on my Yamaha RD 350.

A lot of my friends were driving lowered Datsuns or Toyotas. A lot of 510s, 610s, 240Zs, Corollas, and Celicas. I used to go the the Datsun Club Slaloms with my buddies. And my older brother had a 1970 BMW 2002 which he had modified with Bilsteins, front and rear Sway Bars, and Dunlop tires.

Since I wanted something different and unique, I started modifying the Civic. I managed to find a couple of small companies that made parts for Hondas. CACI and AT Engineering.

I ordered Koni Strut Inserts from Traction Master and lowering springs from CACI. I installed the mandatory five panel 'Wink' mirror and mounted some polished American wheels that looked like eight spoke American Libras with 175/70- 13 Continental tires. Next I ordered CACI sway bars and installed a header and an Anza exhaust.

I then decided to build flares on the Civic. With the help of some friends I started cutting up the fenders. Amazing what you can do with a welding torch and bondo. I then mounted 13 X 7 widened steel wheels (from a Mazda Cosmo) with B 50/13 T/A Radials.

Wanting more power I installed a ported Canadian cylinder head, stronger cam, and a 32/36 Weber progressive carb. I drew up the manifold adapter and had a machine shop make it. Geraughty Dyno Tuning dialed in the carb for me. I also installed a 4.93 final drive 4 speed trans from a 73 Civic 1200. And I had the distributer recurved.

By now the Civic was painted entirely dark primer grey. It disappeared on the road, and the LAPD pretty much ignored me. The rocking rollerskate, or the rock n roller skate.

I had the Konis rebuilt and shortened, and had TMC make custom poly bushings for all the suspension pieces. I also filed the top front strut mount holes to add negative camber.

Sadly, this car was totaled when parked. A Toyota truck pushed it 25 feet up the street and onto the curb.

I bought a 78 Civic CVCC and transferred the some of the undamaged parts including the Canadian head. Everything in the rear suspension was destroyed.

In the meantime I had started working at Modesti's Independent Honda Repair as a Parts man and Service Writer to feed my addiction. I then moved to Bill Krause Honda as a Service Advisor.

From Krause I moved to Harbor City Honda. In May 1984, I bought a brand new white Honda Civic S from HC Honda. I also worked at Beverly Hills Honda, and Torrance Acura.

I sold the 78 CVCC, and started to mod the 84 Civic S. This is the Civic that I still have. And I'm still not finished.
You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
i was broght up around hondas. my perants bought the "black sheep" 1500S for 1983 off the show room floor with all options. for around 7 gs.

bought the black "black sheep" in around,89 for parts.
had that car till 91 moved across canada with it and a uhal on top. at the time needed new suspention on the front.

since moving 12 yearas ago we have owend 9 hondas and 3 other cars

1980 silver 5sp 4dr accord 1.8L
1981 brown auto 4dr accorod 1.8L
1982 blue MINT hatch accord 1.6L
1983 brown civic wagon
1984 civic red 1.3l
1986 civic blue dx converted to 1500S
1986 civic sedan 1.5L
1986 civic si 1.5L fi
1989 crx si

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
My buddy Tyler had a black 86 CRX DX and let me drive it when we were in high school..(circa 97)
In 98 I aquired a black 87 CRX Si with 147000Kms, drove it for 2 years
completely stock ---> Later we ran into a 1G teg guy in our area showed us how to adjust the
torsion bars to lower the front, kept on telling us to swap in a Zed Cee.
Stumbled on RPR in March 02 with alot of questions about the DOHC ZC swap.

To this day im obsessed, I hardly drive the rex anymore tho. But spring is around the corner
and Cpiddy and I have alot of work to do on the car before we can enjoy it in the summer.

My daily driver car is a black Honda Civic SiR (CDN EM1).

My next car will also be a Honda.

JAKOB biggrin.gif
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

Hollowman

• Torsion Bar Groopie..
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic SI w/ ZC, 2002 S2000
    • Image Gallery
As a wee lad I was into muscle cars.. My older brother had a 69 Camaro (the one I'm going to rebuild for my dad) and I thought that was the sh!#.. When I was 13-14 a friend of mine's older brother had a brand new 87 Acura Integra and I was hooked.. When I turned 16 I got my license and went to the first ever Battle of the Imports in Palmdale in 90.. I got to meet Oscar Jackson and I saw his wife's 90 Civic Si that he decided to turbocharge it using left over parts at the shop.. It did 14's all day which was pretty good considering that he tuned it on the way to the track.. wink.gif When I went to look for a car at 17 I originally looked at a brand new 91 Civic Si.. I just loved that car too.. But $11,000 was too much for me to spend on a first car.. So I was off again.. I saw this little white 86 Civic Si Hatchie in a lot near home and bought it for $4500.. It had about 60,000milesand had a funky decal on the lower half of the car and pinstripes.. The next day I pulled them off.. One week later I bought my first performance part ever.. It was a Jackson Racing sport muffler.. I went to my friend's house and had his brother put on the muffler and lower my car.. It was the same guy who had the 87 Teg so he had done it before.. Since then I've gone through 3 different mufflers, 4 clutches, 3 motors (one was my first swap smile.gif ), 3 alternators, a few sets of tires and countless gallons of gas and has been all well worth it.. I've had it ever since and I doubt I will ever part with it.. smile.gif
RIP Block# D16A12011451.. It will be missed..

James Bond (Diamonds are Forever): "That's a nice little nothing you're almost wearing. I approve."

Posted Image

nivek2002

Parents have always been Honda lovers.

They bought my Sedan new in 1987. Twas the car I rode around in all my life. When I was 15 I started thinking about cars since I was soon to get my license ( I plan ahead for everything) I ofcourse started looking at muscle cars. My first car was ALMOST a stock Bel Air but someone bought it before I had the cash so my parents offered me the Sedan. I took it begrudgingly not wanting a little boxy car. After I knew this was to be my first car I wanted to improve it. All PRE-F&F! So I browsed the internet for about 7-8 months finding various geocities pages and stuff about my car. Then I got linked to an odd site name www.redpepperracing.com. The rest is history.

Kevin

sdubfid

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 Wagovan
I rode honda dirtbikes since I was a kid and my dad always had honda power equipment, although my family has never owned a honda car. I had never wanted a honda car until I had one. I got the wagovan from a family member for a good deal and have been impressed with it ever since as far as functionality goes. If i wasn't driving a honda I would have a vw rabbit.

unusualcivic

• Audio Guru
  • PipPip
Well, my dad worked for Walsh Honda when I was born, and I grew up in his '78 Civic 1200 (non-cvcc). As I grew and watched him trick it out with a custom 2-inch exhaust with center exit and ANSA muffler, AT Engineering widebody kit, Enkei wheels, lowering springs and Neuspeed swaybars and other little goodies (oh yes and the quintessential Wink mirror!) I just decided I wanted to go Honda. I can even remember wearing my Mugen Power windbreaker to my elementary school (I STILL wear that jacket). laugh.gif

So now, after 1 '84 Civic 1500S, 3 '84 CRX DX's and 1 '85 CRX DX, I'm still tooling away on them.

Oh, and for anyone who remembers the whole getting hit by a drunk driver episode, I believe I'm going to buy my dad's '84 DX back from him and use the insurance money to trick it up i'm thinking bags (airgasm gets credit for inspiration) and the B16 i have in the shop ph34r.gif
Blast from the past.

Founder of the

C8V6C

After F&F but never saw the movie till after I got into cars....

I was pressured in racing my moms auto focus...lol

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

87Si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
In 2001, but before the fast and furious. I remember hating the movie, that's enough.

Man, there is a fast and furious 3 coming out this summer.. crap...
No more CRX

tencutty

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 si hatch
When i started driving over 500 miles a week and gas went to $1.80
Aoccdring to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtsy,it deosn't mttar in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are. The olny imprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the right pclae. The rset can be a ttoal mses and you can slitl raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe