• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

86siX2

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si 86 Civic Si 86 Prelude Si 96 F-150
    Garage View Garage

Since a lot of these posts on fluids are older, what does everyone use for fluids in their tranny's these days?

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: Only loaners at the present time!
    Garage View Garage

I believe the FSM calls for 10W30...I personally have been using Amsoil synthetic manual synchromesh transmission fluid as seen here http://www.amsoil.co...on-fluid-5w-30/ for many years and would swear by it.

"Old and usually in the way" - Check out my '86 3G build in "VIEW GARAGE"

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

I use Honda Manual Transmission Fluid. You get it at the dealership for around $7 a quart. I've never looked to see what the FSM said but IIRC the Haynes or Chiltons said 10w-40 as a temporary replacement and to replace it with Honda MTF as soon as you can get to a dealership. I tried 10w-40 but it was hard to get in gear. Honda MTF makes it shift like butter but maybe I will try the Amsoil next time, been thinking about switching to a synthetic.

86siX2

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si 86 Civic Si 86 Prelude Si 96 F-150
    Garage View Garage

The tranny I just had rebuilt had like 225,some on the car. I bought it with like 102, on it and never rebuilt it, it could have been done prior to that but Idk. I ran it with reggyie Honda fluid for the longest, and only went to the

synthetic when I started having leaks and needed to add. Thinking I was doing good, I drained it once and started putting in the synthetic. This lasted about 8 months till it just died in gear one day at work. After talking to a few people, they thought I had messed up by not putting just regular fluid, or non synthetic in there. It was suggested by these folks that Honda tranny's needed a certain amount of friction to engage properly. The synthetic didn't provide this, and had made the tranny fail early. It kinda made sense because the thing had gone that long with only a 5th gear grind and some higher RPM slippage, until I switched fluids and it went about a year till dead. I did have the clutch done a few years ago and the tranny was in good enough shape to not need a rebuild. The one in the car now is from a Dx or something that was available, wasn't rebuilt. and is already showing signs of having alot of miles on it. I'm not sure the shop even changed the fluid in the thing when they put it in. I guess I'll just go with the fluid from the dealer for now. and skip the synthetic.

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: Only loaners at the present time!
    Garage View Garage

Amsoil synthetic MTF has been in my CRX DX since 2009 without the least bit of trouble.

"Old and usually in the way" - Check out my '86 3G build in "VIEW GARAGE"

millcreek

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 94 Samurai, 91 Samurai , 2002 Odyssey, , 2000 CRV , 97 F250, and all shop junk

Honda MTF in all my customer's cars.. Back in the "old" days we put 10w 30 in the transmissions....

But I had a guy come in a year or so ago with a Acura TL type S .... 6 speed.. He wanted me to put the GM syncromesh fluid in it... I don't like using non-Honda fluids... But I called some of my Honda buds and they said that stuff is the chitt...  My one parts guy told me he ran it in his S2000. 

So I did the trans service for this guy...he brought me the GM fluid... well it did shift good.... 

Just throwing that out there....

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I still use the Honda MTF.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)