Weekend Full Of Work -- Finally

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

87ClubRed

• Soon it'll scream...for now, just a hum...
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '07 Mazda 3 GT / 87 CRX Si (Going under the knife)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Well, not really an official build thread ...yet..., but I finally get a few days i a row WITH A GARAGE to work on the car. So, it's going to be work work work untill the landlord gets back, and takes over agian.

The plan for the weekend is:

1) Replace entire sunroof --> I've been looking at the rusted, non-working sunroof for too long. I have 2 panels (one painted for install, flat red), and a new complete pan.

2) Depending on above, reinstall all upper interior. Seeing the guts of the car was somthing that wore thin a long time ago. The bottom half stays in storage for the time being

3) Replace both doors. The previous owner used this as a stereo comp car, and removed as much sheet metal as possible. Worked for him, but the rattling, and constant need to re-adjust the window is getting old. Plus, having 2 doors in the house, for 2 years??!?!

4) Install remote door locks in new doors.

5) Remove as much of the old 'rust proofing' as possible. I need to see how good/bad the underside is. I believe it's very solid, but as part of the upcomming 'complete restoration/rebuild' project in the next year, the gunk's gotta go.

6) Put down some POR on the rust in the cabin. The popular wheel well rust has made it to the inside of the passenger, and the access hole to the sub frame bolt on the driverside show's a little surface rust. I'm not to sure how i'm going to get in there however.

7) Put some POR on the lip of the rear wheel wells. Temporary solution.

Let's see how much of this I get done before work on Monday morning biggrin.gif

If anyone has any tips on the door or sunroof replacement, shout'em out!

jordanh420

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX DX with Si Swap
well it looks like your weekend is full....sorry, no tips on sunroof or door replacement. Well, have fun!
It's pretty good for what it is.

87ClubRed

• PipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Man, doesn't take long to run into a snag laugh.gif

To anyone that's replaced a sunroof seal...how did you get a good seal to the panel. I have good adhesive, but my application skills aren't the best...

lilneedle

• Mcguyver's long lost son...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 Civic 1300 With complete brown top teg convo...
    • Image Gallery
I know of someone that can help you....Cyrus in florida here...1stGENcrxLOVER
just PM him and he would be happy to help...He has tons of sunroofs and knows about installing them......Let up know how dat pans out for ya...TOM wink.gif
FORSALE$700BUX...
86 1300 3G With Teg conversion...DOHC BABY!!!

SAHCR-Saving Abused Hondas for Cleanup and Restoration-member.

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (87ClubRed @ Aug 18 2006, 11:11 AM)
Man, doesn't take long to run into a snag  laugh.gif

To anyone that's replaced a sunroof seal...how did you get a good seal to the panel.  I have good adhesive, but my application skills aren't the best...

you need to apply adhesive to both parts being bonded, and allow for both to become tacky before you stick them together.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
QUOTE (badpenny @ Aug 18 2006, 10:00 AM)
you need to apply adhesive to both parts being bonded, and allow for both to become tacky before you stick them together.

+1

badpenny has been allowed plenty of time and is quite tacky!
1GRPhotography
MySpace
I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

lilneedle

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
BP got it on lock!lolhttp://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j268/lilneedle/mike1.gif
TOM
FORSALE$700BUX...

lilneedle

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

oops...here
FORSALE$700BUX...

87ClubRed

• PipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (badpenny @ Aug 18 2006, 09:00 AM)

Yeah, that's what the tube of goop sais..it's just really stringy like, and seem to get everywhere when you try to apply it.

I'm trying again today, we'll see how it goes.

*edit* Seems to go better. I have to let it sit for a while before I install it, just to make sure...that, and try to remove all the excess adhesive from the panel.

Edited by 87ClubRed, 18 August 2006 - 03:05 PM.

87ClubRed

• PipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
HOLY F$#K...this sunroof seal is going to be the death of me!!!

First, it wouldn't seat properly....remove all and start again. Second, it stuck good, but there was some excess, which is IMPOSSIBLE to remove...remove all and start again. To make matters worse, the adhesive is yellow, so it's really really noticable mad.gif mad.gif

I did get the powerwasher out today, took off the rear bumper, and blasted away. I took off 17yrs of rustproofing, and, as I thougth, the underside is solid, and still factory red (where I got through all the old rustproofing that is) My bumper beam has seen better days, and could use a trip to the blaster, but I have to save some work for the real build smile.gif

...back the the sunroof seal...third time's a charm.........right.... blink.gif

87ClubRed

• PipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Well, I'm lucky that I have another good sunroof panal and seal. I got it all on, just doesn't look that pretty. Next time, I'm paying for someone to do it. ph34r.gif

Sunroof replacement went excelent! New one lines up, and opens/closes with no problem. The old one should have been removed a LONG time ago...the underside was barely there due to rust. I'm taking pictures tomorrow.

Today I replaced both doors, including all the hardware and seals. That too is a relativly easy job. It's nice to finally have rattle free doors. The colour is more faded than mine, but next springs full paint job will take that biggrin.gif

I also cut out the front of the air box for more flow. Who know's if it works, but it sounds better biggrin.gif

In the spirit of not working, I took tomorrow off too ph34r.gif I'm gonna try to install my rear sway bar, and attack some more surface rust.

I wish I could work on the car every day dry.gif . I'll take pics tomorrow to show why I did, what I did.