What Can I Remove On A Carbed Motor?

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

poopshovel

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 86 CRX Si w/turbo D16 in the works.
Hello all,

I've owned several 1g's, but this is my first carbed one. Holy emissions, batman! there's a lot of junk under the hood. I'm lightening up, and I wondered what all I can yank, and what needs to stay, without any regard to emissions standards. Pics would be extremely helpful, if possible.

Thanks a million.

Kain

• From Ashy to Classy
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
these are the pictures i used, they are in CRXFanatic's gallery

http://www.redpepper...gallery/albun80

as you can see in the pics all but like 3 lines can be removed as well as the boxes.
Ay!
Ay, dog, ay!
You stepped on my sneaker meng!

poopshovel

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
So have you done it? Did you just go by the pics? Run into any problems along the way?

Kain

• From Ashy to Classy
  • PipPipPip
i kinda did it. lol.

prev owner removed everything without knowing what the hell he was doing. i brought it back to health using those pics.

i'm still having some probs but i don't think that is my cause. i think mine either lies in timing or fuel mixture... maybe both.

i've heard many success stories with this method, and crxfanatic knows his stuff so i trust it.
Ay!
Ay, dog, ay!

poopshovel

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Cool. I'll get to it this weekend. Thanks so much for the quick response!

BigOrange

• I pitty the fool aint got no honda
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI, 1985 Civic Wagon Turbo, 1971 n600, 1972 n600, 1972 n600, 1991 miata, 2002 turbo protege 5
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
does this sacrifice fuel economy and drive-ability? im not that concerned with the fuel i guess but the drive-ability, will it still be there...
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suck

If a Hatch is Bread van, then what is a Wagon? A bread bus?
Wagoboost project, 7psi and giggling :)

Turbo Si Wagovan clan member

poopshovel

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Dunno. We yanked like crazy, and checked the pics if we had concerns. Haven't driven it yet, but it cranked and idled just fine. Thanks again to all who offered advice. When we drive it, I'll let you know about any loss in performance.

DarkHand

QUOTE (poopshovel @ Jan 28 2005, 11:23 AM)
Dunno.  We yanked like crazy, and checked the pics if we had concerns.  Haven't driven it yet, but it cranked and idled just fine.  Thanks again to all who offered advice.  When we drive it, I'll let you know about any loss in performance.

Actually, if you have the secondaries connected to a permanant vacuum source as shown in CRXFanatics gallery, you should see an INCREASE in performance. smile.gif
DarkHand

Kain

• From Ashy to Classy
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (DarkHand @ Jan 28 2005, 05:25 PM)
Dunno.  We yanked like crazy, and checked the pics if we had concerns.  Haven't driven it yet, but it cranked and idled just fine.  Thanks again to all who offered advice.  When we drive it, I'll let you know about any loss in performance.

Actually, if you have the secondaries connected to a permanant vacuum source as shown in CRXFanatics gallery, you should see an INCREASE in performance. smile.gif

would this also cause any significant drop in gas mileage? i've found that i'm only getting ~20 mpg and i'm unsure why.
Ay!
Ay, dog, ay!

eldo

• Think outside the box horsepower
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86CRX 68Chevelle 69GTO
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Kain @ Feb 3 2005, 01:46 AM)
QUOTE (DarkHand @ Jan 28 2005, 05:25 PM)

would this also cause any significant drop in gas mileage? i've found that i'm only getting ~20 mpg and i'm unsure why.

3gencivic and myself has found an increase in milage along with the performance- go figure.
Ed
86 Crx DX EW3 block EW2 ported head , Coltcams (nitrous/turbo Stage 2 Triflow )

T-25 with a blowthrough Keihin carb - 13 psi .

I'ma in the Carburetion Nation