Idling Too High

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

autoxcrx

• <-- Never has time to work on his car anymore :(
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 84 Civic Hatch (soon to be Si)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I am trying to get my car to idle lower, right now it sits at about 1200. I have not been able to find a vacuum leak or anything, and the idle adjust screw will not adjust it any lower.

Is there anything else that I should look at? I have never really worked on a carbed car, but I did put a new carb on it. And don't vacuum leaks make the car idle at like 1600 rpms?

Thanks,
Dan

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I would love to HELP but I 'm sure your talking about a U.S. Model carb which has a BILLION Vacume lines going to several different vacume boxes sad.gif
I would bet it is a vacume leak somewhere in that 10,000 miles of vacume hoses.

autoxcrx

• <-- Never has time to work on his car anymore :(
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 84 Civic Hatch (soon to be Si)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yah, its the USDM carb that has the birds nest of vacuum lines. I got it down to about 1000(to pass emissions, has to be below 1200) by retarding the timing all the way. The car runs like crap like that, but it was only for emissions. I will have to search some more to see if there is a leak.

Dan

Ryland

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '85 Cr-X HF (Stock), '84 Civic DX (totaled) '92 Civic VX (Stock) Honda cb350, Honda cl100.
    • Image Gallery
I had the same problem haver doing some carb work, and I was compleatly baffled, untill I rememberd that I had removed the throtle cable, it sure did look like it had enough slack, but I thought that just for kicks I would give it a little more, and sure enough the problem was gone!
Sometimes it's the simple things.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
I have the same problem! I cant get it to idle lower. I removed the vac. bull sh1t, the idle adjust is down all the way, the throttle cable isnt affecting anything. but what really pisses me off is that the stupid flap above the primary throttle never wants be in the right place, cant figure out why.
--zak--
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

DarkHand

QUOTE (Ryland @ Dec 11 2004, 09:20 PM)
I had the same problem haver doing some carb work, and I was compleatly baffled, untill I rememberd that I had removed the throtle cable, it sure did look like it had enough slack, but I thought that just for kicks I would give it a little more, and sure enough the problem was gone!
Sometimes it's the simple things.

This is a big one... It may look like you've got enough slack in the throttle cable, but believe me, it takes way more than you think. The service manual says about 4mm of deflection in the cable... The way I interpreted that, the car jumped to 4000rpms after I adjusted it the first time. You need real slack in the cable, not just deflection. About 4mm of free movement in the cable, where it's not putting any pressure on the throttle at all, is a better way of putting it.

Edited by DarkHand, 20 December 2004 - 01:24 PM.

DarkHand