Loud Fuel Pump!

• You cannot reply to this topic
33 replies to this topic

kjeffery

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 Crx SI, 06 Ford Focus, 08 Ford E-150
Well I have my 87 si that I didn't buy not long ago. Back in December to be exact. The fuel pump is really loud since day one when I bought it and when I turn on a blinker the sound fluctuates up and down as the relay clicks on and off. Any suggestions? Car seems like its driving just fine.
I paint my hood black for that carbon fiber look!!

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
You wont know for sure since youve only had the car for a while but my hatch, one day i got in it and the fuel pump was extra loud and sounded like it was girgling insted of just humming. It ran like that for almost another year i think. Then literaly one day driving back home i stoped at a friends house, and it wouldnt start again. Diagnosed it as the pump, changed it and it ran great.
Posted Image

kjeffery

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
If i replaced it should it run quieter? Its not really girggling just really loud like a loud ass water pump.

Edited by kjeffery, 19 February 2009 - 07:14 PM.

flashmatrix

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: Lexus GS300
Sounds like a fuel pump goin bad. Same thing happened to me ^^.

"Your arms are too short to box with GOD."

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Could it be a aftermarket pump? Is the car modded at all. I know alot of the aftermarket pumps, like the Walbros and Holley Blues are loud as fuck.
Posted Image

kjeffery

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
The car hasnt been really modded at allfrom what I can tell besides a cone air filter. So I am really doubting a after market pump.

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
That is stock.. Its just how they are .. Every single CRX I have owned , ridden in , worked on, drove, all did this. If you argue with me your ears are bad and need a checkup lol..

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
Out of my 4 si's, they all hum. I hear stopped at idle. I hear the pump frequency oscillate w/ the blinker as well. Unless you hear over the road noise, I agree w/ above and think its okay.

On a related point, does anyone know of an awesome aftermarket fuel pump to replace w/? No more OEM existing. I don't want crap in my car.

Thnx Dave
Keepin' it OEM

sawchuk

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI Turbo EW-4 225 whp 230 torque and a 99 Civic SI 2004 Acura TSX
The best fuel pump is Bosch. I've used one for 5 years with out problems. It's no toy! It is alot more expensive than a Walbros but you get what you pay for. Price:$199.00

The Bosch Super In-line Pump is the king of all in-line fuel pumps. Is capable of keep high (up to 100 psi constant) fuel pressure under boost without pressure drop-off. This pump keeps fuel pressures rock solid where the little "carter" or "t-rex" pump has failed to keep up. COmes with banjo fittings to convert both ends to slip on barb. This pump can also easily convert to -6 applications handling up to 500 HP applications.

Edited by sawchuk, 20 February 2009 - 02:24 AM.

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
IDK about you guys but ive got stripped interior and i dont hear the fuel pump at idle.
Posted Image

kjeffery

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Maybe Ill make a Youtube video one day, when I get it back. I just moved to Iowa the car is currently in lower alabama waiting for my dad to come up in may to tow it to me. I had no way to bring with me wife was driving the Focus and I had my work van towing a uhaul

slavteren

• pervertet 17" lover!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 civic zc - 86 crx zc - 87 civic racecar
    • Image Gallery
all i have driven has been loud... the oscilin (spellcheck lol) with the tutnsignals lies in the way it is grounded... all in one ground wire.

cut wire on pump, then make a new ground conection your self should do the trick.

My beloved civic

My life

user posted image

the most important weapon- is the heart af the worrior.

kjeffery

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thanks Ill try the ground trick. I guess its a common thing seeing the comments above. this is my first 1st gen crx and I dont remember my pass 88-91 rex's and civics sounding like that.

Edited by kjeffery, 20 February 2009 - 05:31 PM.

Burning Tyre

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: CRX '87
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (sawchuk @ Feb 20 2009, 02:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The best fuel pump is Bosch. I've used one for 5 years with out problems. It's no toy! It is alot more expensive than a Walbros but you get what you pay for. Price:$199.00

The Bosch Super In-line Pump is the king of all in-line fuel pumps. Is capable of keep high (up to 100 psi constant) fuel pressure under boost without pressure drop-off. This pump keeps fuel pressures rock solid where the little "carter" or "t-rex" pump has failed to keep up. COmes with banjo fittings to convert both ends to slip on barb. This pump can also easily convert to -6 applications handling up to 500 HP applications.

But how queit is this pump?

I've also got a very loud Oem pump....

84b18

• I drive a quadracycle
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 crx b18, 85 crx si, 85 straman convertab, 04 AP2 S2000, 06 Element
i have a B&M pump for an LS1 and it is far louder than any fuel pump on any car i have ever heard. you can insulate the mounts but you still get vibration in the lines. what really quieted it down was adding a regulator after the pump before the cab
Oh, you don't know if it's legal?
you're in california of coarse it's ILLEGAL!!!!!