Help! 3Rd Gen Hondamatic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

Jimbothemagnificent

Hi chaps,

I have seen something rather odd this morning! I started the car ('85 civic DL) while the front was on axle stands, and much to my surprise the wheels started turning.

I know that this transmission has more than one clutch, but that's as far as my knowledge goes. I would really like to understand what is happening, and what it will mean long term.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give!

PowerWheels86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CIVIC Si
    Garage View Garage
Was it in park?
Dark Side of the Power........
Posted Image

Wheels

QUOTE (RARECRX @ Jun 26 2009, 06:55 PM)
The ONLY BMW's I like are (Beautiful Mexican Women)

Jimbothemagnificent

No, it was in neutral.

I asked this same question on the modern Honda forum that I use, the chaps there put my mind at rest. Just in case it is useful, these are the responses that I received:

Park essentially locks the box up, so not drive in a standard auto. Though it's in neutral the shafts are still turning so some rotational force gets through. Just the same as in a manual box.

So if all is working okay then it must be some sort of early shiftronic semi auto box wizardry.

The gearbox is not in park, so there is always motion going through the gears. As long as you could stop the turning by holding the wheel then you dont have anything to worry about. Imagine the wheel being on the ground, the friction and weight of the car would stop the wheels rotating.
Its effectively a system that aides the gearbox in pulling the car away from stationary. Otherwise the stress on the box would be too much, and youd be effectivly stalling it all the time. Thats my very limitecd knowledge of auto's used up now.

if it was in neutral it wouldn't be locked up. Input torque will be transmitted by the bearings and meshing of gears and turn the wheels very slowly at a gentle torque. So all sounds good mate. Nothing to worry about!

So please let me know if this is correct/incorrect, you guys have far superior knowledge of these cars than us Type-R boys do!