*Wagovan*'s Content

There have been 22 items by *Wagovan* (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#316313 Everything Is Messed Up! What Do I Do?

Posted by *Wagovan* on 05 January 2007 - 10:20 PM in 3G Civic

QUOTE (Madkore @ Jan 5 2007, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back in the 1980s we were told by Honda that there in One Machine in the entire world that can calibrate CVCC carbs.

And it is in Japan.

There are some things we just didn't mess with.
Even Honda Techline would tell us 'Do not take the carb apart!'.

If your brother actually did 'adjust everything', then your best bet might be to get a junkyard carb in good shape that hasn't been 'tuned' by an idiot.

Oh, great. Well, looks like I'm in the market for a new carb then. I don't know about everyone else but, finding a CVCC carb around these parts in a junk yard is going to be a rather large task. Seeing is that they are all full of old domestics. I pulled the lower timing cover off and no woodruff key. He probably lost it somewhere so I'm just going to go buy one from Honda tomorrow. Hopefully I wont have to sell one of my kidneys for it. Perhaps I should make little bro sell one of his instead? Thanks for the help thus far guys. I am sure tomorrow I will have many more questions when I start digging into it some more.

#316207 Everything Is Messed Up! What Do I Do?

Posted by *Wagovan* on 05 January 2007 - 02:27 AM in 3G Civic

QUOTE (rollz87civic @ Jan 4 2007, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and last but not least beat the fuck outta your little brother. then try to get more hp out of his durango by taking the oil plug out. its weight reduction
+1

I would have to agree with both of you on this one. The woodruff key is no where to be found. He said that he didn't see one in there but I know he is full of it. That's probably why I have to charge the battery every time I try and get it started. He said that he messed with the idle, fuel, and air/fuel screw. I want to smash his face in really bad. He did mess with the air/fuel ratio screw so, that's all out of wack. Is it 3-5 turns counterclockwise from the screw being loose?

#316184 Everything Is Messed Up! What Do I Do?

Posted by *Wagovan* on 04 January 2007 - 11:51 PM in 3G Civic

Thanks for your fast reply. I fixed the fuel and somewhat of the idle. How do I go about tightening the crank pulley and get it lined up? Also, how do you adjust the screw on the drivers side part of the carb towards the bottom? I have no idea what it is except maybe air/fuel ratio is what I was told awhile back.

#316163 Everything Is Messed Up! What Do I Do?

Posted by *Wagovan* on 04 January 2007 - 10:58 PM in 3G Civic

First off, thanks for all the help I have received on this board. You guys are awesome. Well, I went out of town for a couple of days and my little brother asked if he could borrow the Wagovan while I was gone because his Durango is in the shop. Anyways, while I was gone he decided to play Mr. mechanic and try and get a little more horsepower out of her by quote " tuning stuff". Oh my god. It runs like crap now. It takes forever to try and start it and when your trying it is backfiring out of the carb. When you drive it, there is nothing there. It would take me at least forty-five minutes to get up to freeway speeds. First off, I think he took off the crank pulley because he said it was loose. So when I checked the timing the pulley was was spinning just not at the speed of the engine. He didn't tighten it. Now it is a pain to get it tightened with it being lined up with the crank. Also he had to go playing with all of the adjustment screws on the carb. I got the gas pretty much in the middle of the window, maybe a little lower. He also messed around with the other screw on the drivers side of the carb. I don't know what it does but, I think it has something to do with the air/fuel ratio? I never touched it but he did. I am at a total loss guys. I can't get this thing to idle and it takes forever to get started. I have an SI head and a devac if that helps. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

#297350 Good Bye Gas Mileage!

Posted by *Wagovan* on 01 October 2006 - 09:33 PM in 3G Civic

Okay, good news! I am back to getting 40 mpg. I still can't get it to idle below 1200 rpm. I can't find any vac leaks anywhere. I checked timing and it is spot on. I have no idea why it wont idle right. You guys are awesome thanks guys for all the help.

#295428 Good Bye Gas Mileage!

Posted by *Wagovan* on 25 September 2006 - 05:02 AM in 3G Civic

Okay, I tried to find a vac leak with some carb cleaner and couldn't find anything. What else do you think I should try? Thanks

#294894 Good Bye Gas Mileage!

Posted by *Wagovan* on 23 September 2006 - 01:31 AM in 3G Civic

Okay, I got the ignition timed and the gas turned down a bit and let me tell you there was a huge difference. There is no more slow bogging 2nd gear and is pulling pretty solid in all the gears now. Now to check the gas mileage. Thanks guys for the help. I do have one more question though. It wont idle below about 1100 rpm without dieing. I can get it below but then is starts looping going up and down then it dies. When it's set at 1100 it stays put and doesn't move. What do you think?

#292559 Good Bye Gas Mileage!

Posted by *Wagovan* on 16 September 2006 - 10:46 PM in 3G Civic

Okay I leaned out the carb a little and advanced the timing. I have only gotten to drive it around the block so no difference I could see yet. I am out of town and will get back in a day and a half and test it a little more. I adjusted the gas in the carb just below the middle of the window. Do I need to go more or do you think that should do it? Thanks again.

#292558 Good Bye Gas Mileage!

Posted by *Wagovan* on 16 September 2006 - 10:45 PM in 3G Civic

QUOTE (hoopty dx @ Sep 16 2006, 05:20 PM)
my gas milage is prolly like 5 mpg

5mpg would suck for a daily driver like mine.

#291857 Good Bye Gas Mileage!

Posted by *Wagovan* on 14 September 2006 - 11:49 PM in 3G Civic

I'm going to check the distributor timing tomorrow as well as plugs. The crank and cam are lined up perfect. I just have to borrow my bros timing light. It idles high like 1200 but, when you turn it down it acts like it wants to die and a lot of the times it does when it is below 1200. Would this be caused from a rich mixture? The cvcc port is sealed off. Going from 40 mpg to 18 mpg is like a kick in the gut. Thanks again guys for helping me out.

#291555 Good Bye Gas Mileage!

Posted by *Wagovan* on 13 September 2006 - 11:52 PM in 3G Civic

Alright guys. By now I am probably being a pain. I did a Si head swap and devac. Now the gas mileage went from around 40 mpg all the way down to 18 mpg! I have read a lot of people getting more miles to the gallon after the devac but, I prepared my self to get a little worse cause that's how things go for me most of the time. The car seems to run just fine. What do you think would cause this? Carb needing to be tuned or what?

#286045 Can't Get Car To Idle After Head Swap And Devac

Posted by *Wagovan* on 27 August 2006 - 03:44 PM in 3G Civic

Also I have been doing a lot of reading and I have heard two different answers. On the distributor timing advance which vac connection do you hook up and witch one do you leave off? Do you hook it up to the top one or bottom one?

#285896 Can't Get Car To Idle After Head Swap And Devac

Posted by *Wagovan* on 26 August 2006 - 05:57 PM in 3G Civic

Yeah the gas return line is hooked up. I'm going to try the paper towel thing. Are these carbs a pain to tune? Is that why you shouldn't mess with them?

#285765 Can't Get Car To Idle After Head Swap And Devac

Posted by *Wagovan* on 25 August 2006 - 07:18 PM in 3G Civic

Yeah there was a vac leak. I got that fixed and it is now idleing fine. It was sluggish in second before I did the head swap and devac. It is better now but, feels like the carb needs to be tuned. Maybe I am getting to much gas. How do I know?

#285749 Can't Get Car To Idle After Head Swap And Devac

Posted by *Wagovan* on 25 August 2006 - 05:28 PM in 3G Civic

Yeah the car was running fine so I wouldn't think I would have to mess with the carb but, I did the devac as well. Also would the carb have anything to do with the car feeling sluggish in 2nd?

#285748 Can't Get Car To Idle After Head Swap And Devac

Posted by *Wagovan* on 25 August 2006 - 05:23 PM in 3G Civic

Hey thanks Big Orange. It was huge vac leak. Now I have it running but it feels sluggish in 2nd. Are there any tricks on tuning the carb. I have no idea where the gas is supposed to be in the window. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

#285565 Can't Get Car To Idle After Head Swap And Devac

Posted by *Wagovan* on 25 August 2006 - 04:34 AM in 3G Civic

Hey guys, I have some more problems. I don't know a whole lot about carbs. So first off the timing belt broke. The valves where bent so I did the Crx Si head swap and while I had everything taken apart I did the devac. Now Now it wont idle for some reason. I start it up and it jumps up to 2,000 rpm and dies. I don't know if I need to adjust the carb some more or what. Like I said I am new to carbs and any help tuning this thing would be greatly apreciated. Also Also I forgot to plug up one of the vac lines on the intake manifold (driver side) and it was back firing like crazy. So I plugged it up and it doesn't do it anymore but, won't idle. I can see the gas level window on the side of the carb but I don't know where it is supposed to be. Sorry for so many questions, I am still learning the ways of the carbed Honda. Thanks.

#278715 Help My Wagovan!

Posted by *Wagovan* on 01 August 2006 - 07:41 PM in 3G Civic

QUOTE (badpenny @ Aug 1 2006, 04:41 PM)
In that case you need or might as well use the whole si head, an electric FP with regulator, if you are running a dx carb and intake you will want 3-5 psi.  THere are plenty writeups on this.

I think I might do that instead of swapping cams. Sounds a little easier. lol Thanks badpenny. YOU THE MAN!!!!!!!

#278674 Help My Wagovan!

Posted by *Wagovan* on 01 August 2006 - 05:26 PM in 3G Civic

Awesome. If I choose not to run the mechanical fuel pump and switch to an electric, I am assuming I need a fpr to do that? How many psi will it require? I might just stick with the mechanical pump if it's to big of a hassle. Thanks again badpenny.

#278644 Help My Wagovan!

Posted by *Wagovan* on 01 August 2006 - 04:34 PM in 3G Civic

Oh, okay. Is there anything else I should know about the swap? Do I need to swap cams from my head to the Si head because of the mechanical fuel pump? Thanks again.

#278632 Help My Wagovan!

Posted by *Wagovan* on 01 August 2006 - 03:54 PM in 3G Civic

Okay, I found the engine code. Thanks badpenny. On the subject of the Si head, would it not be a good idea to do right now? I can't really afford to do the pistons right now nor can I afford the down time. I can get an Si head for $40 right now but will it not be worth it due to lower compression? The car has absolutely no power and the last thing I need is lower compression. That's another question I have. Before the timing belt snapped the car pulled okay in first but falls flat on its face in second and pulled okay in third. Any thoughts? So what do you guys think about the Si head? Should I just get a normal 1.5 head and save up for the head and pistons to do at the same time? Thank you guys for helping a neewb out. Again sorry for so many questions I'm just trying to learn everything I can about my beloved Wagovan.

#278503 Help My Wagovan!

Posted by *Wagovan* on 01 August 2006 - 04:58 AM in 3G Civic

I have a lot of questions. I have an 2wd 87 Wagovan and I can't seem to find the engine code anywhere. I think it's a ew1 because of the nest of vac. lines. Also it has 12 valves but looks like it has 16 valves? 2 intake valves and looks like 2 exhaust valves but one is small. I have never seen this before, so try not to make me feel to stupid. I am new to carbs and Hondas. I am used to working on FI cars. The timing belt broke and I want to do a head swap from a CRX Si because I can get it really cheap if it's even possible. Money is tight right now so can I use the intake and exhaust manifold off the engine I have if I could do the swap? Sorry for so many questions. Please help me out.