Suspension Braces And Subframe Connectors

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members

Since I removed the roll cage from my 87 Si autocross car (125# of extra weight), I've been looking at ways to stiffen the chassis that are permissible within the SCCA Solo Street Prepared rules.

The rules allow strut tower braces front and rear, lower suspension braces, and longitudinal subframe connectors with no more than three attachment points.  The rules also allow roll cages.

The first problem is, I have camber plates, so the front strut bar that was one the car when I got it will not fit.  I can modify it to fit but not without clearance issues with the hood, and modification of the hood is outside the rules.

I've not found a rear bar (but haven't looked very hard), and haven't even thought about the other two.

There is the possibility of adding a roll cage that weighs less.  This one was made to SCCA club racing standards which are more stringent.  It was mounted in 8 places but was made of 1/8" wall 2" diameter steel tubing and weighed about 125 lbs

What are you folks using?

I can make my own if need be.  The question I would have, especially with the SFCs and the suspension braces, is where to attach them for best effect.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
IIRC I think you can use longer bolts and add seat belt spacers between the hinge and the hood to get some hood clearance