3rd Gen Civic's 1.5s Vs Si Suspension

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

CSPCRX

Starting for another member who was getting an error message.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Azzy

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic 1.5 S
    Garage View Garage

Hello, im thinking about putting some wider and bigger wheels under my third gen and found somewhere in these forums this info: http://www.redpepper...hl=+wheel +sizefrom  CRXer87hf'er that found what tire sizes the different models came with.

Now my 1984 1.5S comes with 13 inch rims and I'm thinking of sizing them up to 15's, seeing that the 1.6i Si models already came with 15 inches, they should fit in the wheel well quite alright, but I'm wondering about suspension differences that might be between the models and if that could lead to rubbing or something or that I’ll should be fine on the stock suspension of my 1.5S.

Any advice is welcome, thx in advance.

Azzy

special thx to csprx with the help of starting this thread <3

CSPCRX

I will take a shot at this. I have never found any suspension difference in the 1g/3g cars that would impact what wheel would fit.  I have owned 84s, 85s and 86s and I could put any 13, 14, 15 and even 16 inch wheel I wanted so long as offset was correct.  The suspension differences were mostly sway bar related, most notable was the rear internal sway bar the SIs got.

All of that said 15s are the perfect size on these cars.  13s and 14s just have so few tire options.  A 195/50/15 is a perfect fitting tire, again with the correct offset.  205s fit nicely but really not needed unless your putting down 150hp or more.  205s can also rub on the inner fender at full lock, never had that with 195s.

hope that helps some.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Azzy

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic 1.5 S
    Garage View Garage

thx, im indeed looking for 195/50/15's

My buddy has a set of wheels that are the exact same numbers as the secondhand set im looking at rn, so will be testfitting his tommorow. Thought I'd ask about the suspension, but yeah as far as I knew it also mostly was just stuff making it a stiffer ride. So more a cornering thing, so will definetly be testing it in some long fast corners.

CSPCRX

Post up some pics when you get them!  Most of the 15s are et 37-42.  These all seem to work well, lower et will allow you to get a wider tire on with lower chance of rubbing.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

My 84 Civic 1500S and 86 Civic Si had the same suspension as best I could tell. Both are chassis code AH5 for the US market. In the US market all the Civics that I'm aware of came with 13" as the standard wheel. I know the CRX had a larger size on some of them (maybe year/trim) specific.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

CSPCRX

Yes,  the 86 and 87 si came with the 14 in “dice” wheel.  Otherwise everything got 13s really across all of the Hondas from 84-87.  Wheels are all interchangeable.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily