My Project Hatch

• You cannot reply to this topic
134 replies to this topic

Vitamin J

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Hatch w/ swapped built EW3, 1996 Miata
I finished up the brake ducts today. I shelled out the clams for actual brake ducting this time. I also stripped out the rest of the interior.

I was going to use these 3" NACA ducts, but they turned out to be too large.

I cut apart the stock turn signals and they mounted up to the ducting nicely.

I ran the ducting in the best way I saw:

The ducting is mounted to the caliper so it moves with the hub:

I then painted and screened off the openings in the bumper

Now I can use these brake ducts with whatever air dam I decide to run.

I've also got the dope two-tone interior now:

Posted Image

slap2begin

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
what caliper and disc you use ? i see the MITSUBISHI logo on that calier

rwdcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx dx (in a re-build phase); 02 Cadillac Escalade (gas hog) ; 03 Honda Accord V6 Coupe
QUOTE (slap2begin @ Aug 23 2008, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what caliper and disc you use ? i see the MITSUBISHI logo on that calier

That "logo" isn't a mitsubishi logo. The mitsu' logo is three diamonds (Mitsubishi translated means "3 diamond") That "logo" is three triagles. Those look like 'teg brakes to me. Mine have that same "logo" on them.

Edited by rwdcrx, 24 August 2008 - 10:36 AM.

"Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers"

Freedom has a taste, a sweetness, that only those that have fought for it, know.

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
The "Mitsu" logo is on alot of shit, our stock torisons have them.
Posted Image

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
they make parts for everything... just look at the relays in any car and you will most likely come across at least one mitsu
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

3gStreetRacing

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 honda civic GL
looking good man however your brake ducts are kinda over excessive all you need to do is direct the air at the brakes as a whole .. not just a single shot to one spot .. you might wanna re think that a little bit ( this is only IMHO )
you want the air to pass through the brake setup not just directed to one spot

just my two cents anyway

all the best

marcus

Vitamin J

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Yeah they are '89 Integra calipers and rotors. I got them from NAPA as reman'd.

My though process on the ducts was to direct the air over the caliper and the surface of the rotor. Shoud I cut the duct back an inch or so?
Posted Image

Vitamin J

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
So I got most of the work done to pull the head today on my lunch break. After work I finished it and popped the head off and started cleaning up the engine. A few minutes later it occured to me that there were three pistons up and one down. Hmmm that's odd I thought. I rotated the engine and only three pistons were moving.

mad.gif It is clear that I have thrown a rod. I don't know how bad it is, I'm gonna pull the piston out and see what let go.

So now I have to decided whether I want to build another EW3 with the head I already have.....or if I want to install a motorcycle engine.

BTW, if anyone is interested in a ported and polished head with valve job or a Webcam stage 2 reground cam...well they might be for sale.
Posted Image

3gStreetRacing

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Sorry to hear that man; its always heart breaking when shit like that happens time for an engine swap !

Yeah man id highly recommend trimming those bad boys back when you get a chance get the air directed to the brakes as a whole .. not just a shot of air at one part of the disc wink.gif

So where you gonna head with it now ???

marcus

Edited by 3gStreetRacing, 27 August 2008 - 06:43 AM.

Vitamin J

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I'm not sure what the plan is now. I'll look over the damage tonight after work and see if I can reuse the block. If I can then I'll rebuild it with new rods and hope it hangs on.

I had joked with my friend while I was building this car that if the motor blew I'd replace it with a bike engine. If I have to get a new block I might do this depending on what things are going to cost. I was thinking about a 1000RR engine with some new velocity stacks and a power commander for starters. I'd install it like Grassroots Motorsports Magazine did with their Berkeley.

Any idea why the motor let go? I reused the original rods, but they looked fine. I used ARP rod bolts and rebuilt everything to spec under the watchful eye of my coach and his head mechanic who's a Honda genius. I was revving it to about 7300 to 7500 rpm regularly, but I figured that would be no problem. The whole bottom end was balanced so I figured it'd be good to 9k rpm.
Posted Image

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
sometimes these things happen, hopefully they never happen to me! smile.gif
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Vitamin J

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Last week I found a wrecked old '87 Si on Craigslist. I need a new bottom end so I quickly contacted the guy. I went over there and hauled it away for $75! I was after the bottom end that looks great, but I got a lot more!

hay from sitting in a horse stall

I'll put the engine up on my new engine stand and strip it and clean it. I'll swap the oil and water pumps from my old block since their new along with whatever else I might need.

I've ordered new valves for the #1 (or #4?) cylinder that threw the rod because at least one definitely touched the piston. I'll put it all together with my new head studs and gasket and hopefully I'll have my hatch back, with a little less compression.

After I get it running well I plan on piecing together a turbo kit. I have the stock Si header from this car, can that be easily made to fit a common turbo?

Oh and it'll get a roll cage too.

Besides the block I also got:
-front and rear painted silver Si bumpers
-good Si tranny
-good Si fuel tank and fuel lines
-good Si ECU
-pretty decent Sony head unit
-good shift rod
-three 13" steelies and four good 13" tires

This stuff is for sale if anyone is interested:
-almost complete interior in pretty good condition, dash, gauges, one door panel and all windows but driver door, sunroof, headliner, and carpet
-driver side fender
-rear hatch glass
-spoiler
-rear axle and drum brakes
-anything else you see in the pictures or I haven't mentioned
Posted Image

Jaminak

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 1500 Coupe, 89 Cherokee
Glad to see you back in the game. Look forward to new fabricated stuff! (plus I lived in ABQ)

Not sure if it's your plan, but the CRX bumpers wont fit on your hatch.

3gStreetRacing

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
good to see you back on track, your build interests me.
dont put the motorcycle engine in it i couldnt think of anything worse tongue.gif
you might wanna get that block checked out by a machine shop ... it doesnt look like its in the best condition .. although its hard to tell with photos also get the bottom end rebuilt it will save you further hassle dow the road

good luck man
look forward to seeing your car on the road ..

Vitamin J

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Yeah the motorcycle engine may happen in the future, with another car.

The bumper won't fit? What about with modification?

I plan on checking out the bearings and maybe replacing the rings, but I rebuilt my previous motor and it threw a rod and everything I read on this site says how good the bottom ends are so I'll trust Honda with this one. Though I think I may have thrown the rod due to heavier pistons, but I haven't weighed em that's just my guess.

Besides, a new bottom end is only $75 right?! And it comes with a car! tongue.gif
Posted Image