My Project Hatch

• You cannot reply to this topic
134 replies to this topic

Vitamin J

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Hatch w/ swapped built EW3, 1996 Miata
My street tires are all mounted up. They are Dunlop Direzza DZ101s. I got them off ebay for $226 shipped, $56 a tire. The size is 205/50/15 and they are mounted on 2004 Civic Si wheels I got off ebay for cheap, two of the wheels are scratched to fuck, but I think it adds to the rusty character of the hatch. I want to pass people in nice cars on track days and then have them walk over to check out my car in the paddock just to find (in his eyes) a rusty, scratched up peice of shit Honda. That is my dream.

I think they look just as cool as they should perform.

I put the Si phonedials off my '86 CRX onto my street Miata because they have my winter tires, they look goofy as hell. Miata owners note: this is why you don't put 195/60/14s on your Miata, they looks like truck tires:

In other news, my camshaft and engine machining is done! Look for the conclusion of this project sometime after the new year.

Edited by Vitamin J, 15 December 2007 - 04:18 PM.

Posted Image

Vitamin J

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I just got into Albuquerque last night. Today I started on the front suspension. I forgot my camera so you'll just have to deal with phone pictures:

The shop is closed so I got to use the lift

Looks much better now:

Posted Image

SHOGUNOVDDRK

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 civic hatchback
ooo those look nice wink.gif

how much did you "drop" it? (if you did at all)

Edited by SHOGUNOVDDRK, 31 December 2007 - 01:42 AM.

QUOTE(SHOGUNOVDDRK;835304)
the import scene has kinda become like emo's.... its killing itself whilst looking overdressed and in drag

QUOTE(phyregod;835835)
Sig worthy. But mine is full.

nene.del.mambo.crx85

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: honda crx 87 si
suupa dupa clean your car
my dad had rims like that on his austin mini they were mini lites i believe but they were 10 in i know those are pasansport
super clean
see ya

Ron Erickson

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic - Rally Prepared - KIA 2003 Ford Focus
    • Image Gallery
FYI, my friend sent me a link of your thread on the Something Awful forums, I found it a bit amusing that he showed me something I had been looking at for a while on a seperate forum.

It's crazy to see a car that looks EXACTLY like mine, yet so much more clean, haha! I like it!

SHOGUNOVDDRK

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 civic hatchback
QUOTE (Ron Erickson @ Dec 31 2007, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FYI, my friend sent me a link of your thread on the Something Awful forums, I found it a bit amusing that he showed me something I had been looking at for a while on a seperate forum.

It's crazy to see a car that looks EXACTLY like mine, yet so much more clean, haha! I like it!

wtf blink.gif dry.gif

LIIIINK dry.gif
QUOTE(SHOGUNOVDDRK;835304)
the import scene has kinda become like emo's.... its killing itself whilst looking overdressed and in drag

QUOTE(phyregod;835835)
Sig worthy. But mine is full.

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
^^^+1
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

lxndr

• All work and no play makes LXNDR a dull boy. All work and no...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (Vitamin J @ Nov 30 2007, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was running into dead ends with the LSD. I couldn't find anything short of a $1600 Quaife or $800 Mugen diff. Well that's more than I paid for the car, so I looked elsewhere. I ended up finding a Phantom Grip style clutch pack on Ebay for $150 and bought it.

The idea is that you stuff this thing into the diff, put the pin through it, and undo the clips. The springs then push against the spider gears creating a locking effect. When torque is applied accross the two wheels, the pin through the center twists and pushes the clutch packs into the spider gears even more....at least this is what I think. It seems to work, but we will have to wait until I get the car running before I know whether it works or not.

I just wanted to chime in with my review of the Phantom Grip LSD before you go any further with your build.

I installed one of these in my tranny and was somewhat dissatisfied with the results. My PG LSD would arbitrarily slip, making the car unpredictable in turns. I feel that the PG LSD was the biggest waste of time and money that I put into my 1G CRX build. IMHO, the PG LSD is OK for a street car but is not suited for competetive driving. If you check the Kakabox thread, you'll see that KAKA' ditched the PG LSD he inherited from me and installed an OBX LSD. The OBX costs around $400 and is well worth it. BTW, the PG LSD hasn't been nicknamed the "Phantom Slip" without reason.

You might also consider swapping your rear coilovers for a set of Ground Control coilovers sometime in the future. I've seen the brand you are using up close and I was not impressed with their quality when compared to other coilovers on the market. There seemed to be fitment/slop issues that made me doubt their effectiveness in a competetive racing environment. Again, OK for the street, not so good for racing.

Other than these two issues, I think you're on your way to a great build.

Good luck!

Vitamin J

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (lxndr @ Jan 1 2008, 03:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just wanted to chime in with my review of the Phantom Grip LSD before you go any further with your build.

Yeah, I've heard similar things. I'm using the EW3, and I'm not sure anyone makes a LSD for the transmission.

I've been doing some more work one the car this week. I'ev assembled the head and started stripping out the car. I also set the final ride height. It's low, real low biggrin.gif

Posted Image

Vitamin J

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Adding lightness

Also painted the calipers with Rustoleum "Hammered" paint. I'm going to paint the interior with the same stuff, and I painted the oil pan with it. It required almost no prep and hides the surface imperfections nicely. Looks pretty cool too.

Edited by Vitamin J, 02 January 2008 - 08:47 PM.

Posted Image

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
What are you going to us to get rid of the sounds stuff?

What cam gear is that?

Edited by rollz87civic, 02 January 2008 - 09:01 PM.

SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

Vitamin J

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (rollz87civic @ Jan 2 2008, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What are you going to us to get rid of the sounds stuff?

What cam gear is that?

I'm leaving the sound insulation in. Its such a pain in the ass to get out and I am going to be driving this car an awful lot on the street.

The cam gear is a Zoom one from Summit. Its not the right one though, for some reason the website says it will fit. The diameter is too small and it hits the head.

All painted up

Posted Image

nene.del.mambo.crx85

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: honda crx 87 si
g0od idea stiffening p the chassis
its lookin killer
i used to race go-karts then formula cars
till last year i raced a couple of sedan races
y0ur car is lookin real tight
peace

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Shoulda pulled the sound deadning. Nice lookin build.
Posted Image

mordantly

• www.morrobaycyclery.com
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '90 Isuzu Impulse XS-Lotus Tuned, '94 Civic LX-EG8 (RIP 05 SEP 2009), '71 SL350-K1, '82 CM450E, '72 Yami LT2, '75 Yami DT400B, '02 cobra racing 50cc
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (DEIVIONCRX @ Jan 3 2008, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shoulda pulled the sound deadning. Nice lookin build.

hell yeah. it's a bitch to scrape out in spots but a lot of useless weight. the only difference i noticed was more body rattles. looks very good so far.
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '11]
1987 CRX SI D15A3 Goal: <12 Sec 1/4

QUOTE (cbstdscott)
There is no replacement for displacement... but dicking with the bottom end of a Honda is not very productive. Put your energy into the head, that is where power is made.

...Dicking with the vacuum lines is not how you adjust ignition timing. That requires loosening the three bolts that hold the distributor and twisting on it.

Scott