Concours Restoration: 1987 Crx 1st Gen 25,662 Miles

• You cannot reply to this topic
193 replies to this topic

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
I actually wrenched on the car today. Back in Oct 08, All the brakes locked up. Back then, I rebuilt the rear cylinders. I could get the front to move, but they dragged pretty bad.

So finally took them apart and rebuilt them. My first rebuild of calipers beyond greasing the guide pins.

So the chrome plated pistons ended up looking perfect. THey didn't leak. BUt the area on the inner wall of the caliper female hole had rust and on the 1/8" lan between the piston seal and the dust seal. So that's all that was causing the drag. I couldn't find any evidence of wear. BUt could find some small rust divots on the female hole of the caliper. Letting the car is w/o changing brake fluid for over 6yrs is not good.

So reinstalled new piston seals and rebled system. Actually took her on a paved road for 1.5miles today. First time she's hit pavement in over 6yrs. Last time I fired her up was Nov 09.

Passenger side rebuilt (Since the car's sitting still, I'm not rebuilding to spec. Just enough to keep her drivable - restoration later)

Driver's pre rebuilt

drivers cleaned up and ready for reinstall. The dust seals and pins looked great. So just lubed her up and put it back together. Savedmy $45 OEM pistons for another time. Lightly sanded inner hole. BUt the discolor you see is the varnish from age.

Off to #3 tomorrow.

I measured the piston ring. Got .112" on both old ones and .119" on the new ones. So compression set of .007" over 23 years. Not bad. Normal design is 10% compression. So the set took away ~7-8% compression. They were on the road to leak failure within the next few years. But were very pliable. I was surprized.

Later

Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
Work is in full swing. Puttin' in 11 to 12 hour days....

Here's the rear wiper assembly.

Finds 3,4 and 9 are in another box. Have to dig them out later.
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Another easy one. Just one part for this diagram.

I haven't matched up an original alt to this Honda rebuild. I'm sure the labels are different. So plan will be to disassemble this one and put the parts into the original and refurbish it.

I forgot I replaced my beater's alt w/ a used OEM when it turned 190k. I took it apart b/c I was going to rebuilt. the bearings would squeal. The copper sleeve on the end of the armature was almost gone so I didn't bother putting new bearing and brushes in it. So I just decided to go w/ a Honda replacement for the concours. Anyone ever replace the copper sleeve before? Since the beater lived in salt environment, I remember it was a pain getting the case apart back then.

So I've got ~3 sets of spare bearings/brushes for future sustainment at well along w/ another rebuilt alt.

Off to another grueling week of work.

Later....
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
This is about the only accessory I'm planning on installing on the car beyond the AC and radio. Not sold on fog lights yet however....

I don't beleive any of my cars came w/ flaps originally. I believe (10yr old memory) I got them all from junkyards and installed them later.

Seeing the new sets are interesting. You can see the where the mold maker polished the mold to give the exterior surface finish (ie... like a brushed stainless steel).

This set is still sealed in the package. I don't like to open unopened packages until just before I install. Just in case something happens and I need to sell.

Raining tomorrow. Finally a day off....

later..
Keepin' it OEM

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Just curious where you get all these NEW (old items?) Dealer? Some must be hard to find.

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I think my first receipt for restoration parts on this was is dated '96-97. Began buying through Majestic around '98. So most came from there. Back then, most parts were available so it was just a matter of how much money I wanted to divert to this. No crystal ball. Priority parts were plastic and rubber exposed to the sun. I originally began maitenance parts and mechinicals. But realized I wouldn't be driving these anymore as DD's after kids came along. So in 2000, the focus became general restoration. But always drove my beater religiously to see what would fail mechanically. So that aided in obtaining fuel pumps, main relays, idle bodies and ignitors. Career took off after that and finally in 2004 just didn't have time to drive or pay attention to the fleet. Got back into it end of 2008 to discover most of the good stuff was gone. So now things are hard to find. Still adding things that pop up here and there. But won't start the restoration full swing until I build my garage extention to bring the fleet "home". Insulate, heat, AC and dehumidify the pending garage, then full swing.. Well, tear downs of 2-3 existing cars first (in process).

The mud flaps had a reciept in the box dated 2001. I got several complete sets earmarked for 4 of my cars. Those came from dealerships in California back in the days they only did COD. Flaps were out of normal inventory back then.
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Probably the same story as the alternator. Need to check the labelling. Most likey gut this one and put it in my original starter case.

I've never had to replace a starter on my cars yet. So I believe the OEM to be pretty reliable. Unless I've been lucky.

D
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Here are the emblems and labels. There are others like the fuel door label, ignition key label located on other diagrams. Also the A/C compressor serial number label and paint code labels. But you get the idea.

Find #7 is the "CRX" emblem embedded in the B-pillar garnish. I looked for those back around 2001 and were long gone. Always assumed someone made key chains or something our of those.

D
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Here's the latest shipment. Got 2 rear hatch interrior plastic peices. So this completes 2 sets of rear interrior plastic. One for the concours, the other for, well, I'm not sure yet. I've got pretty much 2 complete sets of interrior plastics down to the door plastics, consoles and dashes. Not sure why, but was thinking the straman when I convert to si platform.

I didn't check, but there are probably more of these in stock if anyone wants them. But most of the remaining 86-87 crx off black (graphite grey) interrior parts are long gone.

This plastic looks a whole lot darker than the 23yr old faded plastic on my cars. I'll post up the NOS seats at some point. But those are a beauty to see as well. You'd think it was from a different car compared to looking at the DD's wear.
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Another shipment in this week. More sets of sustaining CV boots. 15yrs ago, I bought aftermarkets and they only lasted 40K miles. So I've learned to only used OEM. Usually get 80K out of them. Some door latches and bolt HW and pocket assemblies.

Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Got some extra thermostats and ignition switches. I've had to replace the ignition switch on my beater a few years ago, but that's b/c the fuel pump was working intermittenly and I kept trying to start it and the solder joints melted - like when the car fires and sputters and you almost got it, so you keep trying....

But got these based on inputs from all of you and reliabilty problems reported. -- thnx for the help and insight!

Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
got another order in transit. Shipped yesterday. Expect early next week.

So I last reported 626 unique NOS part numbers w/ over 3010 NOS parts for the fleet. This next order and the past few will bring the total up to 695 unique p/n's and 3253 total parts.

The wife has blessed my project w/ a 3week vacation beginning early June. So She takes the kids and I stay home. So expect some lightning progress in June. Can't wait! Kinda of tired posting pics of parts. BUt its all for the restro book for the show someday.

Keepin' it OEM

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1969 CST10, 1987 CRX HF
I never realized how much work went into a concours quality resto.

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Hello Tex, Welcome aboard! I'm in Dallas area. Where abouts are you?

So here's the next shipment. about 8-9 parts on BO from Vintage. This past winter when I was in the junkyard, I noticed a grommet on the tiedowns underneath the radiator. So the square grommets in the lower left of the pix are those grommets. None of my 7 CRX's had those on them. I never knew. So someone else looking for those details, they are still in inventory.

Can't wait for June! Going to build my shop on the side of the yard to support the staging and car for the restoration.
Keepin' it OEM

ChrisF-dude