Concours Restoration: 1987 Crx 1st Gen 25,662 Miles

• You cannot reply to this topic
193 replies to this topic

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
Jay,

I missed the earlier string of posts on cleaners. Wow, great stuff!

Okay, Q's....

So, cleaning interrior plastics, rubbers, etc... Use mircofiber cloth and Mequier's Quick Interrior Detailers.

What about upholstry?? I do have some stains in the carpet and on the seat that I need to clean. I don't want to damage the fabric (removing the "fuzz" from the seats and the "body" from the carpet) I've noticed my older carpets on the other cars show wear and either get bald spots or get fuzzy. It seems like the carpet on this car is still uniform height and maintains its "cornfield" rows of fabric patterns. We have one of those small portable steam cleaners we use to clean the cat puke and kid messes off the floors and carpet of our house. So I had planned on using that and finding a very mild detergent w/ warm water. Want to minimize the fading out effect.

Now, unfortunately, I missed out on NOS carpet set for the car (anyone willing to sell their NOS carpets, give me a PM!!). So I think most of my elbow grease for the interrior will be used on the carpets. but have the 95% of the interrior plastic peices from the dashboard to the boot on the Ebrake. So most of the plastics will be pull and replace as well as the seats.

Other stuff:

I use to use Fantastic to clean everything (want my mom had in the cabnet when I was a kid). Noticed it removed the silkwcreened white symbols and letters on the sunroof, turn switches. So I stay well away from that. Will try the Mcquiers on my next shopping trip to Wallyworld.

I posted a topic on cleaning exterrior plastics like taillights, Bpillar panels and the rear "CRX" tail panel. Those will be replaced w/ new. But several of the guys recommend "Back to Black" w/ a mirofiber cloth. But someone did mention that it might accelerate UV degradation over all in the end. So what would you use on the rubber moldings (silicone rubber I think). Use on the bumper moldings (Polyethylene)?? And on the tail/combo lights, CRX tail panel and Bpillar panels? I think the Bpillars & CRX tail panel are ABS/PC. The taillights might be acyrlic or polycarbonate - but I think acrylic??

Very concerned about long term effects. Dont want to sacrifice looking good now to rot prematurely later.

Oh, like the hosehair brush. Always wondered how to get that stuff out of the nooks and crannies.

Here's the golden nugget: how would you clean the interrior sunroof trim (grey fuzzy rectangular peice) that rims the headliner through the hole of the sunroof? Someone cleaned my beater before I got it and the fuzz is gone and bald and a little discolored. Thinking the chemical cleaner they used made the adhesive holding the fuzz on bled through. The integrety of this one is really good, but It does need some cleaning from a rain drip.

Dave
Keepin' it OEM

Jayscrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 06 Honda CRV , 08 Honda Fit Sport , 86 CRX Si
QUOTE (greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's @ Dec 6 2009, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jay,

I missed the earlier string of posts on cleaners. Wow, great stuff!

Okay, Q's....

So, cleaning interrior plastics, rubbers, etc... Use mircofiber cloth and Mequier's Quick Interrior Detailers.

What about upholstry?? I do have some stains in the carpet and on the seat that I need to clean. I don't want to damage the fabric (removing the "fuzz" from the seats and the "body" from the carpet) I've noticed my older carpets on the other cars show wear and either get bald spots or get fuzzy. It seems like the carpet on this car is still uniform height and maintains its "cornfield" rows of fabric patterns. We have one of those small portable steam cleaners we use to clean the cat puke and kid messes off the floors and carpet of our house. So I had planned on using that and finding a very mild detergent w/ warm water. Want to minimize the fading out effect.

Now, unfortunately, I missed out on NOS carpet set for the car (anyone willing to sell their NOS carpets, give me a PM!!). So I think most of my elbow grease for the interrior will be used on the carpets. but have the 95% of the interrior plastic peices from the dashboard to the boot on the Ebrake. So most of the plastics will be pull and replace as well as the seats.

Other stuff:

I use to use Fantastic to clean everything (want my mom had in the cabnet when I was a kid). Noticed it removed the silkwcreened white symbols and letters on the sunroof, turn switches. So I stay well away from that. Will try the Mcquiers on my next shopping trip to Wallyworld.

I posted a topic on cleaning exterrior plastics like taillights, Bpillar panels and the rear "CRX" tail panel. Those will be replaced w/ new. But several of the guys recommend "Back to Black" w/ a mirofiber cloth. But someone did mention that it might accelerate UV degradation over all in the end. So what would you use on the rubber moldings (silicone rubber I think). Use on the bumper moldings (Polyethylene)?? And on the tail/combo lights, CRX tail panel and Bpillar panels? I think the Bpillars & CRX tail panel are ABS/PC. The taillights might be acyrlic or polycarbonate - but I think acrylic??

Very concerned about long term effects. Dont want to sacrifice looking good now to rot prematurely later.

Oh, like the hosehair brush. Always wondered how to get that stuff out of the nooks and crannies.

Here's the golden nugget: how would you clean the interrior sunroof trim (grey fuzzy rectangular peice) that rims the headliner through the hole of the sunroof? Someone cleaned my beater before I got it and the fuzz is gone and bald and a little discolored. Thinking the chemical cleaner they used made the adhesive holding the fuzz on bled through. The integrety of this one is really good, but It does need some cleaning from a rain drip.

Dave

Belive it or not, the best carpet and seat cleaner that I have come across is called Awsome Carpet spot & stain remover from the Dollar Tree or dollar store. This product is cheap and works really well. Spray it on lightly and use a soft brush to work the area. I spray a little warm water along with the cleaner also. Then use a shop vac to extract the dirt out. I would use the same stuff along with warm water on the sun roof trim. Use a old rag and rud very easy so you wont damage the trim. The old rag should be damp. Then blot the trim with a clean rag. As far as the plastic lights go, use a 3 inch foam cutting pad and some Meguair's Scratch X to polish them out. I use Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut and then M205 Ultra Finishing Polish on all plastic tail lights and plastic headlights. These products only come in quart size and are not cheap, so Scratch X is your best bet. It sells for around $10 at Wal Mart. You can find the 3 inch foam cutting pad along with the arbor on EBay for around $15.00. This is made to be used with a high speed drill. Use micro fiber towles to buff the plastic lights to a nice clean shine. It may take more than one cleaning to make them look good. I have never delt with the plastic B piller's on the CRX. I would scuff them up and paint them with SEM plastic-vinal spray paint. SEM makes hight end products that work well. Find this on EBay also. I hope I covered all you need to know. Have fun!

Jay V.

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
Thnx for the info Jay!! A lot of the guys here have been using and recommending SEM. Great carpet tips. The sunroof fuzz is probably my most intricate interrior detail for me to worry about. I didn't get that one from Honda b/c the one I have is in great shape and I used the money at the time to buy other stuff

I was reading somewhere that it would take some of these guys an entire day to detail their car out for a show. Painstaking!!

D
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
This assembly is easy. Pull and replace.

Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
This week's shipment came in today. Adds 74 parts to the list. 6 of which are new part numbers. Most of this will support the other cars (repeats)

Had another shipment 2 weeks ago that added 93 more parts. 23 of which are new p/n's. That one was more interesting. Added lock cylinders w/ keys, door handles painted red and inside door handles.

Mostly down to nuts and bolts and grommets now. All that's left these days....
Keepin' it OEM

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
This has got to be costing a fortune...

lil buddy

• obsessive compulsive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 civic si Resto Rod,85 civic DX,84 CRX 1500 DX, 79 XL 75,69 Z50 mini trail, 03 Pilot and my 2013 ride on
QUOTE (greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's @ Dec 17 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This week's shipment came in today. Adds 74 parts to the list. 6 of which are new part numbers. Most of this will support the other cars (repeats)

Had another shipment 2 weeks ago that added 93 more parts. 23 of which are new p/n's. That one was more interesting. Added lock cylinders w/ keys, door handles painted red and inside door handles.

Mostly down to nuts and bolts and grommets now. All that's left these days....

dude!!!do you really need that much honda ultra flange sealant??

DarkHand

So I take it that by the time you're done, no one will be going through Honda for spare parts anymore, but through you? biggrin.gif wink.gif
DarkHand

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Got a chuckle out of that one Darkhand!! I wish I had the money.... But this is not an investment: its a passion! Someone else mentioned that I won't make money on the parts. Never planned to. It'll get donated to a museum when I'm not longer around.

I respect the hell out of the honda engineering that went into this car. So I've bought enough maintenance parts, hoses, gaskets, belts to keep at least 4 cars running to spec until I'm 80+. I'm hoping I'll live a little past the average.... I've always drove the beater when ever and where ever I could to rack up the miles. Its my reliability study to tell me what parts I'd need. Did a small stint for logistics support for some products in Iraq (OIF 1-3). So that helped w/ the planning a little as well.

D.O. There's a little grommet that came from your place in there as well for the radiator fan. Told the dude to say "hello". Not sure if you got the message

The tubes are CV grease. Honda grease seems to be generic across all car lines. it was cheaper to buy by case (10packs). Got the grease to mate up w/ the sets of boots I got a while back. Now that Honda boot rubber is awesome. I made the mistake and put in aftermarket boots in my Beater way back when. I they lasted like 30K and cracked a leak. The Honda ones go 60 to 100K. I've never had to replace CV joints. I keep an eye on the boots cracking at each oil change and replace the boot to preserve the OEM axle.

old School, If my wife knew the money I'd spent, I'd be a dead man.
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Here are all the published radios for the entire 87 model year line. There are 3 radios that show up on the CRX specific brochure on page 3 below. Serveral radios in my searching were supersessions to the original list A-E. But seems like radios were installed by dealers and not at factory. So I believe it was whatever the dealership could find, it was what they put in. I came across several in junkyards that were Honda radios but of different model types.

I can find no EQ console kit for the 86/87si. But have the EQ in the event I ever find one.

Only the radio opton "E" out of what I have will accept the DIN EQ connector. So that seems to be to be a little odd. Why carry 2 EQ's in the line and only have one radio accept it. But seems like the EQ listed began w/the 84 model line and I think they got phased out as people lost interest in them and the need was eliminated by improved radios.

I plan to instal radio option "A", High powered - 4 channel, into the resto rod. Its still sealed in the packaging. I'll leave it that way until I instal.

If anyone comes across other information to add to this, please post. This is the best I could come up w/ over the years. Seems like the info on radios is a little obscure.

I wasn't able to get original speakers, but since they cannot be seen, I'm not concerned b/c the sound quality probably is less than favorable. I have a set of used rear speaker covers in good shape. So intent is to instal. But I have to see how they will match against the NOS rear interrior. Not sure if there's fade that can be detected.

D
Keepin' it OEM

NWClassicHonda

• "Leader of the pack"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 87 Civic Si, 88 Integra Special
    Garage View Garage
Wow!!!!! So cool! smile.gif

"for all your pre-1988 Honda restoration needs 206-940-8173"

"vouch thread"
http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1

1g, 2g, 3g Civic

1g CRX

1g Integra

1g, 2g, 3g Accord

1g, 2g, 3g Prelude

cars, parts, collectibles and more!

http://www.nwclassichonda.com

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
If I recall I have seen a couple EQ mounts in the yards , but ONLY for the 84-87 non si models. And they were always in nasty blue. I do not think thatswas available for the 86-87 SI lineup (the EQ that is) unless the dealer would have used a non si console in the SI and aded the EQ surround as per customer request. Who knows..

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Here's most of the shipment that came in prior to last week's post

Misc body parts

Nuts and bolts

I liked these. Got the red handles a while ago. BUt got the black ones as well here. So I can see what the actual paint looks like from Honda and there's no overspray on the backside of the parts. Also, the key cylinder was good for me b/c it gives me a new key w/ the number stamped on it from honda. All the keys I have are a bit worn. So to pass off as concours, I need clean keys.

Some of the longer parts burried in the box
Keepin' it OEM

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
This is really getting intense. Wow!

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I'm still affraid to get into the actual build full swing. Getting the parts is the easy part.

Happy New Years all!
Keepin' it OEM