What Is Sensitive To Water In The 1gcrx

• You cannot reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Ok, remember a while back there was a post abbout converting your car to run on tap watter? Well, I'm wondering what is sensitive to water in the 1G CRX? I'd like to give it a shot and these engines are a dime a dozzen, plus I like the rex smile.gif

Here are the main questions:

The Injectors - What are they made of? Sensitve to water?

The valves - What are they, and how sensitive are they to water?

Pistons/Rings - I'm thinking you can get the pistons ceramic coated and possibly get stainless rings or something like that?

Cylinder Sleaves... I understand these are steel? Can anything be done to make them not corode? The website with the convertion said Ceramic coating, but that sounds like a crock... I mean, do they really coat sleaves? What abbout the friction of the piston rings?

Spark plugs - Anything out there not sensitve to water? Platinum tipped, or something?

Anything else I should be concerned with? The head and block are aluminum right? Same with the fuel rails... and nothing else should be exposed to the water.

Not conserned with exhost since one can use stainless or ceramic coated.

Cheers!

*Edit: Ok, give me SOME credit. I'm not a preschool dropout here. Obvyously I don't mean put water in the gas tank, spray it into the cylinder and hope it burns. I'm talking abbout burning hydrogen, and as we all know burning hydrogen creates water vapor. This is why I'm asking what's sensitive to water.

Edited by EuphoricBlue, 03 April 2006 - 09:59 PM.

Surestick

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX. Upgrades (so far) Illuminas on all four corners, new rims & tires & Eldo's carb mod. Needs some rust repair. 1993 Civic Si as a daily driver that I have sworn to keep stock (so $$ can go to the CRX).
I don't think the "run your car on water" deal involves actually feeding the engine water.
Whenever I've heard of it electrolysis is used to seperate the hydrogen from the oxygen. The hydrogen is used as fuel or added to the fuel/air mixture in addition to fuel to allow a leaner mixture to be ignitable (which apparently it does quite well).

jjamiemmark

• Spit pop bang
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX,91 CRX SI
    Garage View Garage
ya last time I checked water was not flamible.IT WONT BURN
05192012083.jpg

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (jjamiemmark @ Apr 3 2006, 07:24 PM)
ya last time i checked water was not flameble

dry.gif Post edited to make it more clear.

So please? Anyone know what's water sensitive and what one can do abbout it?

jjamiemmark

• Spit pop bang
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX,91 CRX SI
    Garage View Garage
how are you going to make the water burn in the engine
05192012083.jpg

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
read post number two

hoopty dx

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 Civic, 92 civic, 06 taco
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (jjamiemmark @ Apr 3 2006, 10:24 PM)
ya last time I checked water was not flamible.IT WONT BURN

wahuhuh tongue.gif
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Jun 22 2004, 06:08 PM)
They got that engine out withtheir mighty facial hair cant you see

Team BUrnOUt Member # 3

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (jjamiemmark @ Apr 3 2006, 08:10 PM)
how are you going to make the water burn in the engine

"I'm talking abbout burning hydrogen"

It's like surestick said, you use electrolysis to seperate the hydrogen from the oxigen and burn that instead of fuel vapor. There is a "writeup" of sorts here:

Click me

It seems like it could work, this is why I would like to try it. But before I can even think abbout gathering the parts I need to know what hates water in these engines.

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
i really love how diffent minds come together here on rpr and even new and unconventional thought for the most part can be shared and debated... keep us posted on your findings

down4ce

QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ Apr 3 2006, 10:15 PM)
you use electrolysis to seperate the hydrogen from the oxigen and.......

So would you be able to use your 1g to remove body hair? mellow.gif No but seriously good luck in this project I really like this idea my one buddy was telling me about it becoming available soon.

SilverRex-Bullet

• Nerd
  • PipPipPip
haha...u just dont wanna pay for gas right? laugh.gif

i like the idea of running on water..... smile.gif

gkiing

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
I'm looking into doing a water/methanol injection system for my d16, you inject the mixture during the combustion cycle it dramatically cools the engine and produces a lot more hp. Aircraft have used this for years so it should be solid.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
In the 80's they made a water injection system that allowed water to be shot in the cylinders to create better horsepower and milage, plus the heat thing. MY buddy from sparwood has a v8 smallblock intake with exactly this, but instead of water, he has added nitrous to create a type of "direct port" system. Prety rad eh. So i think you should be good. Hope things work out.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

Airgazm86

• Ungawa!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: '86 Std. hatchback, '06 Mitsu EVO IX SE, '15 Mitsu Lancer EVO X FE
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Aquamist anyone?

linky

DSMTimeline.jpg

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
The thing abbout all those other systems you listed is that they all still use an oil based product and only use the water to cool the reaction and lean out the mixture, the oil based fuel still protects the cylinders and all components. If I was to run purely on hydrogen I would emagine the sleves would get a thin lare of rust from the leftover vapor when the engine is off overnight.

One idea would be to run gasoline for 5 minuts or so before turning the car off the get rid of all the water. But if possible I'd like to end up with the whole system being entierly gasoline free.

Why do I want to do this?
A ) It seems like an interesting project, and if it fails... I'm still left with a nice auto-x car.
B ) No more gass bill, ofcourse.
C ) My ultimate gole is to run a 1/4 mile in under 14 secconds on a 0 emissions, full interrior car. ph34r.gif

So, anyone with any knowlage of these engines... tell me! smile.gif I have this feeling that the only things sensitive to water in these blocks are the sleves. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers.

Edited by EuphoricBlue, 04 April 2006 - 02:02 AM.