Wheel Size?

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

gustav129

• At a racetrack near me....
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 1981 CP Mustang, 1987 Civic Si - R.I.P., 1974 IH Scout II
    Garage View Garage
I would like to put 16" rims on my '87 Si Hatch. I want to keep the same tire diameter, but maybe a wider tire. Just wondering what will fit and not rub in the front. Fabricating fender flares can be an option of I have to have a wider stance. A guy at the tire store said I can go up to a 17" rim. I don't like cookie cutters on my stock 13's.
Posted Image
Under steer is when you hit the wall with your front end.
Over steer is when you hit the wall with your rear end.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you move the wall.
RGL Motorsports #129

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
i have 205/50/15's and i run the very front inside of the inner fenders, but im lowered about 1-1.5"
Posted Image

JEFFtheJ00la

• i was the first one to rent this monte, lol
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86crx soon to be b20b, 96Grand am sedan(9.22 1/8th), 79Trans am 403 to 350 in prog. , 03Dakota DD, 86 civic sedan si swap dd
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
so what your saying is you want to make your civic look like a 4x4 vehicle? i have the profile of whats supposed to be on the 13's on some 14's and its lifted. i couldnt imagine putting tires that big on a 16....oh wait i could, that would be my truck!

SportInjectedClubvisit my myspace SAHCR Member

if your offended by anything i post, you need to seriously get a life

racelife

• need more speed!
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86rex(bad comp), 90rex(blown head), 90teg(no engine), 90accord(wifes), 98civic 4dr.ex(dd) and a heap of broken 1st and 3rd gens.
QUOTE (jeff420 @ Feb 14 2006, 10:11 AM)
so what your saying is you want to make your civic look like a 4x4 vehicle? i have the profile of whats supposed to be on the 13's on some 14's and its lifted. i couldnt imagine putting tires that big on a 16....oh wait i could, that would be my truck!

he wants to keep the same outside diameter just with bigger rims (smaller sidewall)

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: R.I.P ~Honali~ 3G civic now drives Silver 86 Civic hatch
he wants bling rims and lowpro rubber...... you do know that you CAN get 18 under the civic and crx dont you? tho why in the world you would want to is beyond me. better have oodles of power under the hood to have any acceleration at all.

"hey like my new<insert bling rim size here> rims? the car handles great, but i'm peeing blood because i've ruptured both my kidneys and my chiropractic bills have forced me to get a second job".........

13's are suggested, 14's are ok, 15's would be pushing it if you had to drive it everyday.

dont get me wrong, huge rims look great on our cars. i've seen some very nicely built crx's with massive wheels. but if your city has bad roads you are going to be rattling the teeth right out of your head and suffering a back injury within a couple of weeks. i want to get larger rims for my car but am hessitant to do so due to the poor condition of our streets. i've hit my head on the headliner more times than i care to remember in my car and i have not lowered it, and i'm on stock steelies, michelins, and all new suspension.

i really miss driving in BC. the roads there are the best in canada, babies butt smooth and most of them twisty.

rprdotcom1cropped.gifRIPHonalicroppedsigpic.jpgAW1GMtu.jpgH4zO0Qb.jpg

Surestick

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX. Upgrades (so far) Illuminas on all four corners, new rims & tires & Eldo's carb mod. Needs some rust repair. 1993 Civic Si as a daily driver that I have sworn to keep stock (so $$ can go to the CRX).
I've always found huge rims look funny on Civics because they make the brakes look so puny, especially the drums in the rear.

mep

You can fit 205/40-16s with no issues, as long as the rims have the correct offset range(40-42mm)...

175/70-13 = 22.6" diameter
185/60-14 = 22.7" diameter
195/50-15 = 22.7" diameter
205/50-15 = 23.1" diameter
205/40-16 = 22.5" diameter

tire calculator here
. . sm 85 HB . .

slavteren

• pervertet 17" lover!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 civic zc - 86 crx zc - 87 civic racecar
    • Image Gallery
or fit 215/40-16 but you will have some rubbing issues, esp. if it is lowered a lot. i drive 215/40-17 on my rex and 205/40-17 on my civic, and i love it. the 205's are a litle stiff thou, but not more then i can live with. has driven 215/40-16 on my rex a couple of times, and it is just a great size. plenty of grip and good response. tyrehight is actually lover then with 195/50-15's.... wink.gif
My beloved civic

My life

user posted image

the most important weapon- is the heart af the worrior.

gustav129

• PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 1981 CP Mustang, 1987 Civic Si - R.I.P., 1974 IH Scout II
    Garage View Garage
Is it safe to assume that the 205/40-16s are a wider tire also? I know nothing of metric tire sizes. I'm used to big 4x4 trucks, so the bumpy ness isn't too much of an issue.

Edited by gustav129, 15 February 2006 - 02:40 AM.

Posted Image
RGL Motorsports #129

AMightyWind

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, 07 Audi A4 Quattro, 97 BMW 318ti, 1988 Ford Mustang GT
I put 215/40-17 ADRs on mine and with the new Tokico HPs the ride is absorbant but not harsh. There is no rubbing (it is not lowered) and my kidneys are fine.
Oh a Mighty Wind's a blowin’...

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Thank you all the big rim lovers!!!!^^^ i had 215/45/16 on my 85 si it wasnt lowered on gr2 struts and i never rubbed.....but with worn struts i suspect you would... people like 13's because they are light but i have a set of 17's that weigh 14lbs a peice they do make light wheels now-a-days..but jeepgirl is correct your ride will suck..I have the 2000 15" si wheels on and they ride better than my 14" stockers... personally i like 15's.. but for 16" i would go 195/205-45/50-16 for a no-rub GOOD ride... it all depends on the rim width also..

squareback

• Nothing's stock at this house . . .
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 89 Civic Si, 16 Pilot, 13 Ruckus
    • Image Gallery
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is what your intended use is. Are you trying to improve performance or simply going for looks? If it's for looks, do you want it sporty-loooking or bling-bling looking?

If you're going for performance, you'll need to stay with 15" or smaller. If you go larger than that, you'll lose any performance benefit because of a combo that's too heavy. In addition, you could rattle your teeth with a sidewall that's so short like you would need with a 16"+ wheel. 15" will give you the most tire choices in a 195/50 or 205/50 size. If you really want a wide one, there is a 215/45R15 out there too. 14" is a great size, but your tire choices go down considerably. 13" is the best choice for performance reasons, but there are only a couple true street tires available, with the rest being race compound tires.

If you're going for bling, do whatever you want. As was noted earlier, you can fit up to an 18" wheel in there, but you'd be silly to do it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have 16 or 17" wheels on this board, so I know you could get experienced feedback.

Determine what your intentions are for the car's use, and then choose your wheels from there. My advice? If going for bling, do 16 or 17" wheels with a 205 tire. If going for performance, go with a 15" wheel and a sticky street tire in a 205 or 195 size. Let us know what you decide!

Mike
No power . . . no weight

gustav129

• PipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Surestick @ Feb 14 2006, 12:41 PM)
I've always found huge rims look funny on Civics because they make the brakes look so puny, especially the drums in the rear.

Well, if you do the '88 acura integra disc conversion, couldn't you just put bigger discs front and rear?
Posted Image
RGL Motorsports #129

breadvan

• whiptastic
  • PipPip
    • Group: Bad Email List
    • Drives: 2 liter rusted soda can
QUOTE (gustav129 @ Feb 19 2006, 12:11 AM)
QUOTE (Surestick @ Feb 14 2006, 12:41 PM)

Well, if you do the '88 acura integra disc conversion, couldn't you just put bigger discs front and rear?

eh, no difference.ive had 13" vx whels with that setup. barely bigger than stock,IMO.
user posted image

gustav129

• PipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
But do the swap, and then buy the aftermarket bigger discs and brakes that everybody makes for those later years. That would fill up the rims. That's what I was talknig about?
Posted Image
RGL Motorsports #129