Bought A '87 Crx Si And Have A Story To Tell...

• You cannot reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic

rocket

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '93 Acura Integra, '87 CRX Si sold, '96 Toyota 4runner
Hi everyone, my name is Erik, 29 years old, live in Colorado, and i recently bought a bone stock black '87 CRX for the "fun factor" and for a new daily driver. I also bought it so i could start working on my other rig...a 1992 Toyota 4runner. I got way into off roading and it came time that i needed something else to drive while i did some serious work on my truck.
Well 2 nights ago i almost lost my life while in my 4runner. I was rear ended (while stopped) by my brother in his Tacoma going 50mph. It was a freak accident but scary as hell. I ended up flipped over on my side and received some serious whiplash.
I'm typing this with lots of back and neck pain and i'll be going to the hospital tomorrow.

Well now, all i have is my little CRX to get me to work and back. When i first bought it, i searched google and came across a few forums and started looking into simple mods such as wheels/tires/ and anything to improve its performance. Since i own a 1st gen i learned that RPR is the place to be. smile.gif

I'm a diehard member of yotatech.com so i know about newbies and the fustraition of repeated questions. When it comes to Toyota trucks, i know a lot about lockers, tire sizes, motor swaps, suspension lifts, gearing, backspacing, dual transfer cases, parts, venders, soild axel swaps, etc....Well now that i no longer have a 4runner, which i already spent a few thousand on, i plan on putting a little more focus into my Honda untill i can get another trail rig.

About a week ago, i spent a lot of time here reading threads and I learned a ton of info in just a couple days. I then ordered a set of 15" Rota Slipstream wheels with Hankook 195x50x15 tires. I plan on getting the Energy Suspension Hyperflex Bushing Kit next. I read all about motor swaps too.

What i plan on doing now, is just restoring it back to "GOOD" working and looking condition. The motor still runs and has decent power but it does have 203,000 miles and it randomly smokes like crazy. It also has a rough idle. The PGM-FI light comes on everytime i drive it after a few miles. The heater makes a loud ass vibrating noise when i turn it on high..is that normal? I haven't found answers to any of those problems yet.

I bought new NGK wires and NGK Iridium plugs that will also be going on soon. So far thats all i've got for the engine.
I'm looking forwad to being a member here and watching my wallet become empty. biggrin.gif

Edited by rocket, 21 January 2006 - 07:06 AM.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Welcome to RPR. Sorry to heard about your truck, and current aliments.

Next time that PGM-FI light is on, pull over and get the code from the ECU. I don't know if they changed the lights in 87, but on my 86 there are 4 leds (values 1-2-4-8, binary), I'm sure that answer is somewhere on here.

The blower shaking on high... My first guess would be that some of the blades on the "turbine/fan" (I don't know what to call that wheel) are missing and its now out of balance. But, that is a guess, I've not had that problem before.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
welcome to the forum. Good to know we have another deticated person to take over a first gen crx.

I dont know much about PGMFI so what i tell you would prolly be about 1/10th of what anyone else knows. All i know is that you should check your lights if the PGMFI light comes on.

AS for the heater. When it vibrates like that, it usually means that the bearing is either loose or about to shit the bed. A really easy way to fix it for about another 20,000km is to just hit the end of the heater rod with a hammer, a good nudge, and that will reseat the bearing long enough for you to drive it for about a year. Weve done this numerous times in my buddies camaro.

if you have any other "?" feel free to ask. Oh and BTW. You have to post a ghost story.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Welcome.

Boy, going from a off roading truck to a tiny road hugger is a huge culture shock. Very different worlds.

Thee is a copy of the service manual on this site and a decent FAQ file. I suggest reading the FAQ file and buying a service manual if you plan on working on your car.

When the PGM-FI light comes on, the car is trying to tell you that something is wrong. If you look under the passenger seat you will see the computer that regulates the engine and a series of lights in binary code that will tell you what the problem is.

I am going to bet that your O2 sensor is bad. You can buy a replacement for about $25 at your local parts store.

The noise in the fan motor may be something as simple as a leaf or other debris that has fallen in through the vents. The heater motor is accessed from behind the glove compartment. Check your service manual.

The smoking and bad idle could be a lot of different thigs. Do an electrical tune up, check the cam timing (Honda timngs belts will slip when they get old and Hondas bend their valves if the belt breaks) and pour a bottle of injector cleaner into your gas tank.

If it is burning oil a rebuild or swap may be in order. The easiest engine/transmission combination to swap in is the D16A1 from the 86-89 Integra.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
i thought it was a ghost story...but anyway im sure youll be hit up for one soon...and its surprising to know that its ur 1st post and ur not asking about bodykits, turbo kits, headers or euro lights!!!
I hope to hear more from you soon and welcome aboard...you will learn that ppl on here are generally helpful and all around great ppl...except for me of course (who according to some can be a PITA some time).
1GRPhotography
MySpace
I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

duner

• What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (rocket @ Jan 21 2006, 05:59 AM)
Hi everyone, my name is Erik, 29 years old, live in Colorado, 

where in colorado?
Living the Air Force Dream!

Vouch Thread

Daveed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 CRX HF
QUOTE (rocket @ Jan 21 2006, 04:59 AM)
The heater makes a loud ass vibrating noise when i turn it on high..is that normal?

I thought my blower motor was wasted cause the noise was deafening. Turned out a nice little mouse (before I bought the car) had made a nice little nest in the blower "cage" with the carpet insulation. Removed and cleaned everything and it worked fine and was able to return the new $45 blower motor to autozone. Hope that helps ya out.

racelife

• need more speed!
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86rex(bad comp), 90rex(blown head), 90teg(no engine), 90accord(wifes), 98civic 4dr.ex(dd) and a heap of broken 1st and 3rd gens.
QUOTE (Daveed @ Jan 23 2006, 04:24 PM)
The heater makes a loud ass vibrating noise when i turn it on high..is that normal?

I thought my blower motor was wasted cause the noise was deafening. Turned out a nice little mouse (before I bought the car) had made a nice little nest in the blower "cage" with the carpet insulation. Removed and cleaned everything and it worked fine and was able to return the new $45 blower motor to autozone. Hope that helps ya out.

i've delt with problem on a few of my hondas just clean out your fan and you should be in business.

IfTakumiDroveACRX

• Can't stop the greatness in motion....just you wait...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 85 crx Si two-tone black/grey, 72 Datsun 510 with an experimental rotary swap (the engine is a 12a and 13b hybrid), Infiniti G35 sedan on air suspension rolling on 19" G-Corp's Estatus wheels and various Garson/D.A.D accessories
    • Image Gallery
Welcome to the board... you'll find most everything you need here. From people who sell to people who smell..... not gonna mention names you know who you are!!! Anyways, a ghost story is in order and we all appreciate your attention to the matter!!! hahahahahaha stay away from Ghost-One!!!! He's evil!!! laugh.gif
user posted image
www.implicit-autosports.com - Proud Distributors of Monkeyz-Tek Performance Parts

jerfguy

• Computer nerd
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Two tone black '85 CRX si: Kragen CAI + CF hood + D16a1 + rear seat + smoked corns + side markers + mudflaps.
    • Image Gallery
Indeed welcome. Sorry about your rig man, but glad you can join us here.

Edited by jerfguy, 23 January 2006 - 07:06 PM.

QUOTE (1stGenRex @ Sep 25 2006, 08:54 PM)
I'd piss on her

QUOTE (JEFFtheJ00la @ Jun 16 2006, 01:39 PM)
you guys figured out my secret. i sell my ass for cash. i shake it at the butt-nekkid every night. *puts head down in shame*

QUOTE (JEFFtheJ00la @ Sep 26 2006, 08:46 PM)
lol. i hate to admit it but i wanted to grab his titty, it looked that good.

JEFFtheJ00la

• i was the first one to rent this monte, lol
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86crx soon to be b20b, 96Grand am sedan(9.22 1/8th), 79Trans am 403 to 350 in prog. , 03Dakota DD, 86 civic sedan si swap dd
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (IfTakumiDroveACRX @ Jan 23 2006, 05:49 PM)
hahahahahaha stay away from Ghost-One!!!! He's evil!!!  laugh.gif

yeah and we got stuck with him here in tx... smile.gif

SportInjectedClubvisit my myspace SAHCR Member

if your offended by anything i post, you need to seriously get a life

AMightyWind

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, 07 Audi A4 Quattro, 97 BMW 318ti, 1988 Ford Mustang GT
QUOTE (Daveed @ Jan 23 2006, 04:24 PM)

I had the same problem, only with chipmunks. They stored acorns, threads, insulation, leaves, grass...it was an amazing pile. Upon removing the blower housing, I couldn't believe the amount of stuff that came out of there. The worst was not knowing about their storage and turning the fan on high. Acorns got chopped up and blew out the floor vents like a food processor. biggrin.gif
Oh a Mighty Wind's a blowin’...

93 Cutty

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 93 Cutlass Ciera, 86 CRX
    Garage View Garage
Welcome to the site! I hope you get feeling better. Yea you'll have to do a ghost story as others have stated.. I'm not much of help but I'm here to say You can do it!. Rofl at the food processor! smile.gif

smashfascism

• TURBO ZC!!!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Turbo ZC, 1997 GMC Jimmy, 1991 Chevy pickup, 1989 Prelude SI, 1991 CRX HF, 1980 Chevy Stake bed (Bogger)
QUOTE (1stGenRex @ Jan 21 2006, 02:11 PM)
i thought it was a ghost story...but anyway im sure youll be hit up for one soon...and its surprising to know that its ur 1st post and ur not asking about bodykits, turbo kits, headers or euro lights!!!
I hope to hear more from you soon and welcome aboard...you will learn that ppl on here are generally helpful and all around great ppl...except for me of course (who according to some can be a PITA some time).

Did I fail to see the problem with turbo kits and headers? your slipping, you forgot wings and stickers!!!!

Welcome!
WTB- Turbo Parts: Turbo, Wastegate, FMIC, BOV

FS- Crx and Integra parts, lots of stuff just ask.

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
true...but every n00b thinks that for some reason we can find the afterbarket bolt ons they cant find...
1GRPhotography
MySpace
I'ma in the Carburetion Nation