• You cannot reply to this topic
89 replies to this topic

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
OK, so I have ferreted through a few more things and put up some more pictures…

The EM installed without a hitch – you can see a close up of hole far I had to slot the bracket to get it to align with the threaded boss in the block. All in all a 5 minute massaging of the hole. I did hot tank the EM and then bead blast it to get al off the old crap out of the runners…I am contemplating painting it or ceramic coating it – anyone ever do either of these to a cast iron manifold? The next thing I have to look at here is the D16 down pipe, which I am sure will hang too low on the EW block…perhaps the stock Si down pipe will give me some clues about which way to go!?!

I disassembled the Distributor and Cylinder Sensor, then bead blasted the cases and reassembled. I replaced bearings, seals, all the stuff I figured that would be worn in them and reassembled. You can see how well they cleaned up in the next picture…

I also hot tanked and then bead blasted the IM – what a pain in the butt to get all of the glass beads out of it (obviously, the next picture). I couldn’t resist bead blasting it – it was one nasty POS before I cleaned it. I again replaced all of the o-rings, seals, etc. that I could as I started reassembling it. I have not got to the TB yet – it is as nasty as they come too…the local Acura dealer didn’t have that gasket in stock (won’t get it until tomorrow) so I’ll have the time to get the TB cleaned before installing it. The injectors cleaned up nicely, much to my surprise – I had envisioned having to send them to RC Engineering to get them cleaned up.

The next picture shows the D16 timing belt on the motor – the tensioner is all the way out and you can see there is just a little slack in the belt. I worked out the bracket to mount the second tensioner this weekend – it is pretty simple. I modeled it up in Solidworks and generated a print so I can have the part fabricated at a machine shop…I am still debating aluminum or steel for the material. Most of the load will only be in tension on the bracket – very little twisting moment…plus I designed to sit flat against the block deck at the same time.

Then came a little surprise (a pleasant one)…I had reported last time that the IM Brace was going to cut through the Oil Filter – when I really got thing aligned and bolted in place, I found that it does indeed miss the oil filter. The bolt holes in the bottom of the brace, that attach to the block, do not align with the single threaded boss on the block – plus the bracket is spaced off the block a little ways. Easy enough to solve a simple standoff for taking up the space, drill a hole in the appropriate place in the brace and a longer grade 10.9 or 12 bolt to secure the brace to the block. There are three successive pictures showing the brace mounted, a close up of the clearance to the block and the clearance to the oil filter.
So, that’s what I have for today…I’ll be working on it through the week and will post more later!

Kirk

PS...the intent is to use all stock parts to find out what differences there are in performance related to a D16 - so, a custom IM is out for right now. I would love to run ITB's on the motor, just like my racecar, but that would not be street legal here.

UltimX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
Nice work. It does look like the bracket for the back of the IM does fit. I would probably shave some of the bracket down to make it easier to remove the oil filter. How many bolt holes are on the bottem? Just one? if so, you could probably shave that down also and remove the second hole. I agree with the ITB thing. To bad it isn't street legal. Why isn't it? Lastly, would it fit in the engine bay? the IM looks like it sticks out a little. So you might need to cut the runners on the TB to make it smaller inorder to fit. Hehe, more custom work but it would be like a ITR IM. Short runners. Anyways, it was just an opinion. Keep us informed and good work!

P.S. Kirk, engine still isn't put together. I'm been busy and i busted 2 bolts so now i have to go buy some. Would just regular bolts work? Like from a hardware store? Let me know.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (UltimX @ Jul 14 2003, 02:09 PM)
P.S. Kirk, engine still isn't put together. I'm been busy and i busted 2 bolts so now i have to go buy some. Would just regular bolts work? Like from a hardware store? Let me know.

Which bolts did you break? Shy of over-torquing a bolt (stupidity) I have never broken a factory Honda bolt (OK, rusted shit doesn't count)...I would go to the dealership and buy a new one from them. If the two bolts you have broken are from the same application (i.e., cam cap bolts, rod bolts, etc.) I would suspect that all of those bolts in that application have been abused at some time and I would replace them all...

ITB's would not pass emissions - in CO they would just open the hood and tell you to go home.

There will only be one botl that will hold the bottom of the brace - it is almost directly between the two existing holes...the bracket is a little long, too - it might get a bit of shaving before it is all done.

-TJ has a stock D16 in a 1st gen and there weren't any problems with clearance on the IM, so I don't anticipate any with the hybrid.

Kirk

Edited by gtpilot, 14 July 2003 - 03:37 PM.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
-TJ made my Tensioner Bracket and the IM Brace Spacer for me a couple of days ago and I got a chance to put on the Tensioner Bracket last night (pictures are in the gallery). I found that the bracket works perfectly (hey, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn occasionally). As I rotated the part on the pivot point, just like it is designed to be used in it’s original application, it puts the true tensioner in the mid-point of its travel. I can tighten the belt up further just by rotating the static tensioner - SUH-WHEAT!

Tonight will be the IM Brace mod, then the downtube for the EM...

BTW - -TJ came up with another name for the motor, EW15A1...for those of you that are into that kind of stuff.

Kirk

Edited by gtpilot, 17 July 2003 - 11:22 AM.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Oh wow, that is so sweet. That car is going to rock and roll when you guys are done.

Make sure TJ can make more of those brackets... smile.gif
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

UltimX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
GTpilot: the 2 bolts i broke are on the oil pan. well actually one was. The other looks like the bolt you plug into the oil pan to keep it on. The stupid thing is is that the torqe wrench doesn't catch sometimes and it just keeps rotating. Errr... Low torque readings. It isn't anything major. I just think i'm going to go to a supply store and pick up some bolts because the torque readings are low. 8lbs. What do you think?

BTW, can't wait to see the final product. Good luck guys!!

xxpaulcpxx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Mabey EWa1... or EWOC? Anything with 15a1 just sounds like a step back instead of forward.

jiggerjosh

• IVIC
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 99' BMW _/_/_/ M3 Vert. & 97' BMW 325Ti M technik
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
wait do you really need an intake brace. why couldnt you do without one?
If only i knew what i was doing!!!

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (jiggerjosh @ Jul 18 2003, 01:16 AM)
wait do you really need an intake brace. why couldnt you do without one?

I would think in a pure race car, a brace is very necessary.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
I could probably get away without the IM brace, but if I ever cracked the IM at the head flange, I would be pissed...kind of an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of heliarc welding. Besides, it is an easy modification to the brace. I have cracked... sad.gif ... so many TWM manifolds that I am paranoid... ph34r.gif ... unsure.gif ...

I always was a Star Wars fan...EWOC?

Kirk

wannab16a

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85crxsi
gt....... you're quite an innovator man. congratulations on combining resources, imagination and curiousity! and futhermore SHARING THE INFO! thanks bro!

CRX8Grand

• Hey I remember my password to this site
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 09 Civic Si
Coolness.. this looks like its turning out pretty good.

I just had a thought... since a1 pistons fit our EW rods.... and that a1 pistons ALSO fit a6 and z6 blocks... wouldnt that mean that if we bored our blocks out we have a WHOLE selection of Forged pistons to pick from?

Just a thought.

~2009 Civic Si 4dr~

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (CRX8Grand @ Jul 18 2003, 03:10 PM)
Coolness.. this looks like its turning out pretty good.

I just had a thought... since a1 pistons fit our EW rods.... and that a1 pistons ALSO fit a6 and z6 blocks... wouldnt that mean that if we bored our blocks out we have a WHOLE selection of Forged pistons to pick from?

Just a thought.

That seems righ to me - as long as they are 75mm diameter pistons and the compression height is the same as the a1 pistons, they should all be capable of being inserted in to the motor.

Kirk

jiggerjosh

• IVIC
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 99' BMW _/_/_/ M3 Vert. & 97' BMW 325Ti M technik
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
so youve cracked a few manifolds? you wouldnt have any of the remains lieing around would you? probly not im sure you welded them back toghther but let me know thanks
If only i knew what i was doing!!!

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (jiggerjosh @ Jul 20 2003, 10:59 PM)
so youve cracked a few manifolds? you wouldnt have any of the remains lieing around would you? probly not im sure you welded them back toghther but let me know thanks

Sorry, I do not have a spare...I have welded up everything and used them.

I did some rather superficial work this weekend...I got the IM Brace modified and installed (a couple of pictures up), got the TB cleaned and mounted (damn, those things get dirty!), timed the carmshafts, lashed the valves, sealed the Valve Cover, routed a lot of wires, hoses, etc...it is getting closer (another couple of pics).

Got the cherry picker ready to extract the Si motor from the 87 CRX...too bad I have to go out of town tomorrow for three days - I would love to get the motor out, but that will have to be next weekend.

Kirk