Need Some Help

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

Ian

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: RX-7
i was coming home last night and the car (86 crx si) decided it didn't want to run anymore so it started to slow down, no matter how far i pushed the pedal. i got to the side of the road and tried to start it back up but it wouldn't go. it is deffenity turning over but not fully starting. i had the car towed home this morning and i have been trying to get it going since. so far i have added gas, checked the fuel presure, and taken a spark plug out to see if it is sparking. the gas and fuel pressure seem alright but when holding the plug against a ground i am not seeing a spark. is there an known or common issue with water getting into the distribuator or anything? it has been raining pretty heavily the past few days so i am thinking it is a short. hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

michaelblanyer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1995 Geo Prizm
my 91 HF did the same thing when the engine bay got wet... It usually worked fine within a few minutes though.

DarKGifT06

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: honda civic 1986 1.3
it could be your transmition myn went when i was going up a hill and i just kept down shifting but there was no power and finaly i came to a stop.

Ian

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
that is what i am hoping happens when the rain stops. i let it sit overnight and it still didn't work in the morning, but it rained all night.

pocketrocket

• ho-ho-dilly or chacha?
  • PipPip
    • Drives: candy van
if you are really handy you could check all of your seals and see if you cn see anything. I drove an 86 si through my parents driveway (read: 1/4 mile of RIVER up to your thighs, i shit you not.) and i have never had any problems. if you arn't getting a spark maybe you should get new wires, or borrow wires from a willing friend, just to check. the water may have shorted something out, once when some ass gave me a jump and he crossed the cables it fried one of the fuses that sit on the strut tower there in that little black box, it kinda did the thing where it just looked at me and wouldn't start, but other things came on and i think that it tried to turn over, this was well over a year ago. it wouldn't kill anything and it probably isn't it, but you could snap that box off and make sure all your fuses are still good, it could be electrical though if it isn't sparking, and you think it happened because something got wet.
go ahead, touch it..

timing belt, $40, pully thing $11, callin jack in the middle of the night to tell him his car was next, Priceless.

DarKGifT06

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: honda civic 1986 1.3
i replaced my distributer like a month ago because my berrings were shot it ran but very poorly because some of the cylinders would fire and some wouldnt but if its seased right up then it wont do any thing.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Sounds like the ignitor on the distributor went bad. It's pretty common.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Ian

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
the rotor in the distributor isn't turning. the timing belt is still on and looks good so i am going to have to investigate some more. thanks for the ideas though.

DarkHand

QUOTE (Ian @ Apr 15 2004, 01:37 PM)
the rotor in the distributor isn't turning. the timing belt is still on and looks good so i am going to have to investigate some more. thanks for the ideas though.

Uh oh, I had the same symptoms when I sheared off the timing belt teeth at the crank.

Have someone crank the car for a split second and check to make sure the timing belt still turning. If not, have someone crank the car again for just a second while you look down through the lower timing belt cover at the crank gear. For me, the gear was still turning but the teeth on the timing belt were gone.

Edited by DarkHand, 15 April 2004 - 02:46 PM.

DarkHand

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
ignition coil... ignition coil.. uhh.. coil?

heh.. check the connections on the distributer cap too.
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image