Later Model Headlight Conversion

• You cannot reply to this topic
23 replies to this topic

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
on one side they sort of hook under the header panel, on the other they are held on by double sided velcro tape. I had a set a long time ago on my 84 blazer, and yes you CAN drive with them on at night, but the light is diminished greatly. I just drove with my high beams on most of the time and it seemed to work pretty well. I just decided i didnt like how they looked with the CF hood. Not to mention id have had to figure out a way to keep em on since I no longer have a header panel.

19CRX85

• Financially challenged
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: Red '85 CRX DX, Black '85 CRX Si, Races: '87 Accord
QUOTE (oversteer @ Jan 22 2004, 01:47 PM)
Or you can make your own with clear lexan.
I dont understand what's the big deal with smoked headlight covers, they are unsafe in my opinion unless you only drive on day light.
It's like using your sun glasses at night, any thing to be cool. cool.gif

I wasn't looking to be cool cool.gif I just wanted to close up the hole & give a cleaner, smoother look. I like the way '87 headlights fill the void, that's why it came to mind.

I remember guys were doing that lexan trick back in the late 70's (yeah, I'm an old timer). I want to make sure I don't give the police a reason to pull me over! ph34r.gif
~ Racing for the Son ~

zc-hybrid

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 civic CR-VTEC
if you want them, then go for it.. check this post wink.gif

Press ME

Edited by zc-hybrid, 22 January 2004 - 05:18 PM.

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (bryman10 @ Jan 22 2004, 01:38 PM)
recessed headlights can produce a tremendous amount of drag on the highway when compared to flush-mounted ones

Ummm.....maybe if you're doing like 160mph blink.gif
Most folks won't notice any difference...

bryman

oh, it'll make a difference at way less than 160mph.

drag increases quadratically with speed at 100mph you have 16 times as much drag as at 25mph. don't believe me? stick your head out of the window at 100mph and see if you can open your eyes without them being pelted with dirt/wind wink.gif

aerodynamics become the most significant speed-limiting factor above 70mph or so.

i dunno about you, but on the highway i am going 80-85. thats fast enough for the recessed lights to have an impact on gas mileage, among other things.

i would guess that the recessed lights cause a couple mph reduction in top speed. may not seem like much but sit on this for a while:
90HP = ~100mph top speed
200HP = ~150mph top speed
550HP = ~200mph top speed.

this is not to say i don't like the recessed headlight. (i like the flush ones too), but when it comes down to it. when you put function over form, the recessed lights make no sense. period.

Edited by shadowboy, 23 January 2004 - 11:47 AM.

Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

19CRX85

• Financially challenged
  • PipPip
QUOTE (shadowboy @ Jan 23 2004, 09:46 AM)
QUOTE (bryman10 @ Jan 22 2004, 01:38 PM)
recessed headlights can produce a tremendous amount of drag on the highway when compared to flush-mounted ones

Ummm.....maybe if you're doing like 160mph blink.gif
Most folks won't notice any difference...

bryman

oh, it'll make a difference at way less than 160mph.

drag increases quadratically with speed at 100mph you have 16 times as much drag as at 25mph. don't believe me? stick your head out of the window at 100mph and see if you can open your eyes without them being pelted with dirt/wind wink.gif

aerodynamics become the most significant speed-limiting factor above 70mph or so.

i dunno about you, but on the highway i am going 80-85. thats fast enough for the recessed lights to have an impact on gas mileage, among other things.

i would guess that the recessed lights cause a couple mph reduction in top speed. may not seem like much but sit on this for a while:
90HP = ~100mph top speed
200HP = ~150mph top speed
550HP = ~200mph top speed.

this is not to say i don't like the recessed headlight. (i like the flush ones too), but when it comes down to it. when you put function over form, the recessed lights make no sense. period.

Right on, brother Shawn! Excellent math skills. Everyone, don't get me wrong. I like the looks of the 84-85 lights, but I'm liking the 86-87 even more. If my '85 was the si model instead of carbureted, I probably wouldn't complain. But my car is so "standard" I just wanted to change something to enhance its ordinary look....

Peace out
~ Racing for the Son ~

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
the speed/hp figures were estimations based on the top speeds of cars i know the HP of

the ferrari F50 tops at 202mph with 513HP
the ITR just under 150 with 195HP
and a g1 CRX Si at around 100-110 with 91HP.

of course there are other variables. size of car (frontal area), and coefficient of drag (will be higher on the faster cars, some drag is created in order to produce downforce for stability at the speeds those cars obtain).

Edited by shadowboy, 23 January 2004 - 12:34 PM.

Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

19CRX85

• Financially challenged
  • PipPip
Hey! Still no replies on the conversion aspect sad.gif
What's involved, are any instructions available, etc.
Anyone?......

Edited by 19CRX85, 23 January 2004 - 02:21 PM.

~ Racing for the Son ~

gtcali

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '89 Civic Sedan (turbo), 2000 Suburban 4x4 (lifted), 85 CRX Si (project)
Check the FAQ/Tutorials under Body and Cosmetic:

http://www.redpepper...showtutorial=25

And I'm new here.

19CRX85

• Financially challenged
  • PipPip
QUOTE (gtcali @ Jan 23 2004, 12:50 PM)
Check the FAQ/Tutorials under Body and Cosmetic:

http://www.redpepper...showtutorial=25

And I'm new here.

Thanks gtcali, you ebay asassin! If I had a decent (faster) pc (133mhz) mad.gif , I would be able to browse and find these answers myself.

Welcome to RPR, I appreciate your help! smile.gif
~ Racing for the Son ~