Converting To Recessed Lights

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

Ian

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: RX-7
My 86 has a broken header panel which is going to cost about 100$ to fix. How much more would it cost to convert the headlights to the earlier recessed style?

CRXdan

lol biggrin.gif

My Estimation: $1-900
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

87crxdx

just find an 84 or 85 with the parts you need i think its in the FAQ somewhere also

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
It is pretty easy to retrofit the early recessed lights to a later first gen. Just need the 2 brackets per headlight and the headlight buckets themselves. The brackets are spot-welded on, but can be easily drilled out and chiseled off of the donor car.

Use pop rivets to re-install the brackets (probably a total of 12 of them, 3 per bracket)

You also need the earlier wirign plugs, some shrink-wrap, and a soldering gun.

I have done this twice.

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

Primerk5

• WOOAA BUNDY!!!!
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 93 civic coupe and Si hatch, 07 Dodge Megacab dually 3500 Cummins Turbo diesel truck, 75 chevy blazer, 79 Chevy Truck, 59 Ford Fairlane 85 Chevrolet Camaro.
    • Image Gallery
I did this over the summer to get my car looking better. i used the brackets that are spot welded to the core support (had to drill the spot welds 3 on each bracket) then when i got them home i used rivnuts (aluminum rivet type nuts that simply clamp into holes. then just bolted it together . now you will need the wireing that gose to the headlights on the older car because they are not the same. i however upgraded my lights i bought pilot head lamp replacements that allow use of h4 bulb inserts which gives brighter light you will need wireing out of a 92-95 civic or anything that has h4 bulbs its pretty easy just cut and splice good luck
"GUTS" is arriving home late after a night out with the guys, being assaulted by your wife with a broom, and having the guts to say, "Are you still cleaning or are you flying somewhere?"

<---- Me Being Sniped by CHRISFDUDE on EBAY!! HAHAHA

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
you can save yourself paying 100 bucks to get a shop to fix your dented header panel and you can go grab one at a junk yard for 20 bucks
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

Ian

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: RX-7
the header panel needs to be replaced it is not just a crack of a dent, it is two large gaping holes. and none of the junk yards within 45 minutes in either direction have one, so that price was what i was seeing on ebay. i am going to call around tomorrow and see if anyone has any early first gen front ends with lights. thanks.

also the thing in the faq is about converting from recessed to flush, close but not exactly the same.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Personally, I prefer the look of the flush headlights. And converting your headlights
has nothing to do with your bad header panel.

I suggest keeping your eye on eBay, they turn up there. And keep going back to the pick and pull, new stuff comes in all the time.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
i dont understand........it would be cheaper to just replace the header panel with a new one, instead of retrofitting blink.gif

try http://www.certifit.com

or

buy one from honda, they still make them you know............
SportInjectedClub

Tomoyo

When you get the header pannel, make sure it's an OEM header pannel. From what I've heard (And seen) none of the aftermarket ones fit right, and they just look bad. smile.gif
user posted image

gtcali

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '89 Civic Sedan (turbo), 2000 Suburban 4x4 (lifted), 85 CRX Si (project)
I recently acquired an 85 CRX from my brother. his header piece was crack, and he had a generic new header piece still in the box. I put the new piece on today. Its fitment is alright, BUT I had a problem with the recessed lights. There is a plastic piece the fits around the headlight and fills the gap to the bumper. It is held in in 3 places. 2 screws on the outter/fender side and 1 screw that fits on the bottom of the header panel (If the headlight had eye boogers, that's where the screw would be). The new header panel didn't have the extra pieces of plastic where the screws would go in so the inner parts of the plastic filler piece is loose. It looks like I can wire/twist tie them to down to something though.

I would think 86-87 would have he same problem as the recessed lights becasue I doesn't need the plastic filler piece.