Cold Start Engine Hesitation Stumble Solved! Accidentally....

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
87 crx si. 272k miles.

Ive been noticing a very slight hesitation during low rpm acceleration on cold days while the car is warming up. very slight. would barley feel it on the low rpm side of 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears. no jerking, just slight grogginess

I did a tune up w new water pump, belt, tensioner pulley, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, O2 sensor. i replaced the ignitor as we due to age of this car and being original. All nos. it seems peppier after i did this.

the cold acceleration grogginess was not annoying, just enough to let you know to warm engine a little longer.

I replaced the ignition coil, again due to age and mileage, a couple weeks ago. weve had some cooler mornings of 20f. It runs smooth now during the high idle warm up time. The hesitation vanished after i replaced the coil (honda nos) I wanted to give it some time to make sure

weird. But a bonus. maybe it was the coil wire connection? who knows.

I pulled the front bumper/header panel off to remove the headlights and also added fog lights. it was the same week i replaced the coil. i didnt fundamentally mess w the engine harness or grounds

I only use Honda batteries. My terminals are clean and original. never get corrosion using oem. (I did have the battery removed to get to the headlights, but have on other occasions since the tune up. Im certain thats not it.

fyi if anyone else has this condition

good luck
Keepin' it OEM

CSPCRX

Glad you found it.  Funny how these cars get odd symptoms for things.  I learned when the alternator was getting ready to go by odd dash lights I would start seeing.  Got good and changing them in the dark! Haha

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
yes. definitely was the ignition coil. cold starts still very smooth
Keepin' it OEM