• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

ian1006

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1983 Honda Civic S
Hello!
I am a newb to this forum but not new to automotive forums. I have been recommended to this site countless times from Honda-tech.com since no one is able to answer my questions. I know my car is not technically the right year or generation but I hope to find some info here.

I own a 1983 Honda Civic 1500 S. I am building it to be an auto-x car with my dad as a father son project. Goal is to have fun the first year with basic gutted interior, Weber carb conversion, basic suspension, possible racing seats, and new rims and tires. I am currently ripping all out of the emissions control stuff, such as the EGR system and anti-afterburn chambers. So with that out of the way here is my question...

What are these boxes and what do they do?
So I know these are called control box 1,2, and 3. I have found them in my Haynes manual but I have no idea what they are and what they do. Are they needed to make the car run? Are they emissions related? It would be nice to be able to take them out as they have a ton of vacuum hoses going in and out of them and the bay is cluttered. Any help would be appreciated and the pics are below:

The first pic is "Control Box 1" and the second picture is "Control box 2 and 3"

According to my vacuum diagram on the hood it says that both boxes 2 and 3 are for the EGR system...Seeing as how I already yanked out the EGR stuff I also pulled boxes 2 and 3.

Box 1 consists of :
Dashpot check valve
Cranking leak soleniod valve
P/J cut valve soleniod
Idle control soleniod valve
Control switch
a handful of check valves
Control switch
Vacuum holding soleniod valve
cranking soleniod valve

This is the list of things listed under #1 box on the hood of the car. Almost every single one of them pulls some kind of vacuum from the carb...Any info on removing the number one box would be appreciated again guys!

Ian

redrex

• de de de
  • PipPip
    • Drives: crx hf
you might want to use the search on this site. but yes you do need some of the vaccume lines but most of them can go. search for devac and try to talk to someone who as devaced. as for what they are for, most of them are for emmissions, but your not going to need to worry about emmissions if its going to be a track car i think. you will have to check with your states laws.
just click and your in the pics

http://www.redpepper...llery/v/redrex/

ian1006

• Granny
  • Pip
I will search around but I havent been able to find anything yet. I have removed box 2 and 3 because they were for emissions. So a ton of junk is now gone from the bay. State laws are non-existent here anyways. The car will have no cat either. Anyways, still need help with box one, if anyone has any experience please post!

ian1006

• Granny
  • Pip
I have searched around this site and a bunch of others with no luck. I am having 0 luck! I guess I can just rip everything out and post results if I dont hear anything by this weekend.

JU5TIN

• trying to get back in the car
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
i think you were looking for something like this

Devac Write-up by anassa

Justin

ian1006

• Granny
  • Pip
Although its a different carb and generation I think that should help me out a lot. Those pics are awesome! Thanks!

ian1006

• Granny
  • Pip
Well I ripped out all of the boxes vacuum line by vacuum line to make sure I wasnt taking anything necessary out and now I have a pretty empty bay. It ran and was idling great then started to choke and die out. The carb is flooding really badly, the barrel will get like half full of gas so I am guessing a vent line or something shouldnt be capped and I capped it. But all in all I think the verdict is boxes are not needed smile.gif the problem should get fixed either way since I am ordering a Weber soon...speaking of Webers, what is a good site to order off of?

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Have you looked at 1stgencivic.org ?
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

ydennek

• Kennedy
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX DX
I just installed the Weber 32/36 DGEV and devac my crx. I took out everything. So far the setup is working great. Good luck to your father son project you will lean a lot.
1987 Honda CRX DX

ian1006

• Granny
  • Pip
QUOTE (badpenny @ Sep 30 2008, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you looked at 1stgencivic.org ?

I actually have been on that sight numerous amounts of times and they have a link to the sister sight which is the second gen sight. Unfortunately I havent found too much useful info on the sight with a ton of dead links...

To those of you who used the Weber conversion, what all was required in setting up the carb? Does it come with instructions as to what port is which and also I am new to carbs in general...does it needed to be jetted or anything? Plug and play? Im guessing its not so this should be interesting.

Thanks again!

ydennek

• Kennedy
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX DX
QUOTE (ian1006 @ Oct 1 2008, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To those of you who used the Weber conversion, what all was required in setting up the carb? Does it come with instructions as to what port is which and also I am new to carbs in general...does it needed to be jetted or anything? Plug and play? Im guessing its not so this should be interesting.

I made quick write up http://www.redpepper...showtopic=40558. I was given instruction with my carb, i have upload them to my write up. It is a plug and play deal if you buy new, as far as going used, you dont know what was done to it in the past. I thought the install was very easy, i was scared a little at first with the devac. I was thinking to my self that if this does not work (pulling all of these vacuum lines) i am screwed, but they all come off, so its ok. I finished the final tuning today and i am very very happy with it. I would recommend it to everyone.

Edited by ydennek, 01 October 2008 - 08:15 PM.

1987 Honda CRX DX

ian1006

• Granny
  • Pip
QUOTE (ydennek @ Oct 1 2008, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I made quick write up http://www.redpepper...showtopic=40558. I was given instruction with my carb, i have upload them to my write up. It is a plug and play deal if you buy new, as far as going used, you dont know what was done to it in the past. I thought the install was very easy, i was scared a little at first with the devac. I was thinking to my self that if this does not work (pulling all of these vacuum lines) i am screwed, but they all come off, so its ok. I finished the final tuning today and i am very very happy with it. I would recommend it to everyone.

wow thanks thats perfect! That should all come in very handy soon for me! Thanks for that!