Pads/rotors

• You cannot reply to this topic
31 replies to this topic

misfit_mafioso

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 CRX HF
in the middle of prepping for the brake conversion, and its a daily driver and gonna have street setup so i know i dont want cd or slotted rotors. but i dont want the cheapy asbestos ones at shucks either.so who do u guys reccomend thats good, but nothing crazy. i found some lomandi pads on ebay (kevlar) what u think?

thanx in advance

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
Bendix everything. the best, highest quality stuff always. bullshit high perf. stuff is never as good as bendix. thats the trueth.
--zak--
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
Best aftermarket rotor in my opinion is Brembo if your going with a teg conversion they have brembos cross drilled or slotted or both. But since its a street car i would recomend just getting a blank brembo cheap with more surface area. As for your pads i think that the kevlar would be a bit loud. Correct me if im wrong.

Julian

misfit_mafioso

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
u may be right. i dunno. it says they're quiet.heres the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...P...TRK:MEWA:IT

anyways, opinions appreciated

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
I run the Brembo OEM replacements on my racecar and have been very happy with them. They are much cheaper than factory Honda rotors and seem to hold up just as well. I get them on-line thru Tirerack. About $29 USD each plus shipping. FYI - rotors are consumable items on racecars, especially when dealing with $150 brakepads. I get about 6-8 races before I throw them away.

Can't help you regarding a good 'street' pad since I only run race pads which aren't suitable for the street.
2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

crxhybrid85

• D-Series Power
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 97 Integra RS w/H22
I buy Albany pads at Autozone. They are not the best but they work well and have a lifetime warranty. When they wear out you just bring em back to Autozone and they give you new ones.
As far as rotors, I would only use OEM Honda or the OEM Brembo ones. The ones at the parts stores are just used rotors that they turn, so they wear out quick.
Brown Top ZC 85 Si
H22 97 Integra RS

SportInjectedClub

user posted imageuser posted image

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
The el-cheapo rotors found at most auto parts stores (i.e. Napa, Autozone, etc) ARE NOT just OEM turned rotors. This can be proved by measuring the thickness and comparing to OEM. The el-cheapo's ARE made out of questionable material with questionable quality control from places like China and are okay for street use but would probably crack under heavy race use i.e. the type that gets the rotors glowing bright cherry red. Genuine Brembos are a quality unit.

Beware, there are cheap Brembo knock-offs out there made in China complete with fake Brembo boxes. True Brembo rotors will have a Brembo logo stamped in the metal on the outer diameter surface.

Edited by Greg Gauper, 12 August 2004 - 10:51 AM.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Brembo rotors and PBR Ultimate Ceramic pads. These pads are phenomenal for a streetable pad. I run them on my teg on the street, and the Civic for autocross/Solo 1, and I have never had anything but good luck with them. I've had the brakes literally smoking, and I still had perfect brakes. Not sure if they'd last for a full road race, but I did 8 or so HARD laps on them, and they held up just fine. I've done 4 Autocrosses, 3 Solo 1 events, and a lapping evening (300+km of track driving), and I still have over half the pad left.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Jack ffr1846

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: CRX, YukonXL, 65 Cobra, Mazda6
A good non-slotted, non-drilled, non-teddy-bear-pattern rotor is the choice for street or for track.

Pads: I agree with Albany for the street. I used them in my street/track Subaru for the rears and they held up well. Autozone never even questioned why I went through 3 sets a year. If you want to up performance, Autozone also sells performance friction, which is a good compromise for street/track and are also lifetime replacement. On my prepared C racecar CRX, I just put on Carbotech Bobcats and they worked quite well for 2 days on the track, with barely any wear. I've heard others report that they're also fine on the street.....but a lot of money compared with those albanys.

jack

misfit_mafioso

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
so im going w/ the brembo blanks. i found some online but i wanted to see if i could find them locally. so i called one brake place and they didnt even carry brembo. i call this other place and he says he has to call cali, supposedly to call brembo or the warehouse or something. he callls me back and says that they dont make a blank brembo rotor, only cd and slotted. i dont know if he meant discontinued or what. anyone have an idea whats goin on?

and where's the best place online to find them.

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Tire Rack.

I noticed the price has gone up $2 but it's still a good deal.

http://www.tirerack....mium&x=104&y=16

pmpicci

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '82 Toyota Cressida: Fond Memories, '85 Civic 1300 w/ '88 Integra Mechanicals
Try www.importrp.com

fronts for $27 and rears for $28...for an integra.

misfit_mafioso

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
i went to importrp.com....good prices. bug u how u were saying gauper bout the fake rotors. go there and look at them. i dont see no brembo on the rotor in the pic....just kind of wary of it.

pmpicci

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '82 Toyota Cressida: Fond Memories, '85 Civic 1300 w/ '88 Integra Mechanicals
You don't see it in the tire rack ad either. I haven't seen it in the pics from importedcarparts.com either, but they seem like honest folks and I've never had any problems with them. There's a place near me that carries brembo rotors, I may have to go check it out first hand if there's a stamp there. I don't see them on any of the rotors on Brembo's own website, though.

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
The Brembo rotors from Tire Rack ARE the real deal. I have bought 3-4 sets from them in the last 2 years and they've all been legit.

The logo I was talking about is a small stamping on the edge of the rotor. It's way, way, way too small to be seen in the photo. You won't see it unless you are looking at a close-up photo. It is easy to see on an actual rotor (and all of mine have it). I'll try post a photo but my crappy camera might night show it very well.

I have never seen a fake Brembo myself, but a fellow racer in our region who races an RX7 had a problem with knock-off Brembos. He called Brembo direct and they supposedly told him about the fakes.

Real Brembos will always come in the red Brembo box and always have the logo stamped in the outer edge.

Edited by Greg Gauper, 13 August 2004 - 02:22 PM.