• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

rccarz5

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Civic Si

Hi all, 

I bought a '87 Civic Si back in the fall for $600 with a rust free body but an engine with a broken timing belt. The owner said he things it bent some valves. I put the car away for the winter and just started to work on it. Today is the day I plan on pulling the head off. I already got the crank pulley off and most of the front end. I have a spare d15a3 from a crx si I bought at a wrecking yard a few weeks ago with a good head/valves. My question is this. My manual I bought (Haynes) really does not go into depth about lining up the #1 piston at TDC and the cam as such. My plan is to pull the head with the bent valves and check the pistons/cylinders. If they appear to be alright I will pull the head off the spare motor and just bolt it on. Since there will be no head on the motor can I just set tdc on #1 just by getting it to the top since there will be no head therefor no compression stroke? How would I set the cam to tdc on the spare engine before I swap it to the new car? I have a new timing belt, tensioner and water pump I bought so all of that will be put on simultaneously. Also have a new head gasket. 

Thanks for any help, trying to avoid bringing it to a mechanic and any help here is greatly appreciated!

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

There is a TDC mark on the timing belt cover for the crank with an accompanying mark on the crank pulley to let you know you are @ TDC - then if you look at the cam gear you will see to marks on the gear (180 degrees apart), they get lined up parallel to the top surface of the head.  If you do that and get the belt on without moving the crank/cam they will be in time.

rccarz5

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1987 Civic Si

Is there a way to tell when the cam is in the right position? There are two ways the cam can line up with the head. There is not an up mark only a few numbers on one side. 

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

Doesn't matter as the distributor can only go one one way as the key way is offset...therefore it knows that cam orientation relative to compression/power stroke.

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage
The key-way on the camshaft will be up.
EW4%20cam%20gear_zpsazpzez0v.jpg

Sinub

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 2012 Civic Si, 1987 Crx Si
    Garage View Garage

I suggest that you buy an OEM repair manual from Helm. It's goes into great detail, almost down to every single bolt. 

rallyxcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx

What gtpilot said, Put the marks parallel with the head, key up or down, doesn't matter , as the distributor won't go in 180 degrees off, Dave