Another 87 Si Build

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

iambhooper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 20 F150, 17 JGC Trailhawk, 90 DA Teggy STL Racecar, 92 DA Project, 92 DA Parts Car, 86 Pontiac Fiero Gt, 70 MGB GT project, 73 MGB GT parts car, I have issues!

Last month I picked up an '87 SI with a solid tub.  The motor did "run", but needed lots of help.. surging, dead water pump, typical yadda for a 30 year old honda.  It was delivered and I started taking it apart. The body is solid, the plastic is rotten and it has no seats.  I'll try to get a few pics as I go along.

Goal... D15A3 with good HP and Torque numbers, weight 1700 ish with A/C, me, 2 seats and a main hoop, '88 front brakes, 27mm t-bars with 300# rear springs on Koni reds and coil overs.  I want to drive it around town, around cones and around VIR in that order.  I used to have an ITC car that I converted to ITB, so I have some familiarity with them, but sold that car 7 years ago.  I know parts are hard to come by but I can have fun with it.

I will need some help on the engine and tranny part of it. Pistons (D16a1), block and crank at the machine shop.  But I need to make some decisions about the Cylinder Head, like what valve springs and retainers to use?  What is a good streetable cam grind? 

hoop
greensboro, nc
20 F150, 17 JGC Trailhawk, 90 DA STL Racecar, 92 DA Project, 92 DA parts car, 86 Pontiac Fiero Gt, 70 MGB GT project, 73 MGB GT parts car... I may have issues!