• You cannot reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic

EviltwinCRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX
    Garage View Garage

Update - Front Grill Repair.  Took the front grill off and had to grind off an older repair job. Someone tried to use Bondo as a "glue" to fix the grill.  What I've done is the same as the fenders - JB Weld Epoxy, then fiberglass the inside. Seems to be a strong repair. Pics showing the process. Yup - the Silver Evil Twin is a piece of work for sure.

2mg9j04.jpg

14doq6v.jpg

Cracked Grill on the pavement

2qd02s5.jpg

Showing the Various Cracked Areas

2mm93iv.jpg

Grinding the Bondo Off

5z2mc9.jpg

33oiipd.jpg

287g60h.jpg

Mixing the JB Weld

2rh1s09.jpg

JB Welding the Cracks

dc811j.jpg

taq82p.jpg

Once the JB Welds Sets Up - +24hrs. I'll start the fiberglass work on the interior side of the grill.  It's a lot of work, but hopefully the plastic fender panels and grill will be strong and crack free for the future. As mentioned in previous updates - I'm working on the front end of the Evil Twin and working my way to the back - looking at making this a 12 month project - taking my time and looking for good results. For me - part of the fun is the restoration process and making something that is in rough shape - in good shape.

EviltwinCRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

It's been a week or so since the last update.  I've finished the front grill, plus worked on some headlight rust issues, and also some rusted brake line on the front left inner firewall area.  It's keeping my busy but nothing too hard. I've also managed to find some extra rims, tires, hub caps, and alloys for the Evil Silver Twin

Completion Pics of the Front Grill  - inside fiberglass treatment - done to restore and prevent any future cracks.

28ti7v8.jpg

Putting down the Fiberglass mat.

9hq8p4.jpg

s2cuue.jpg

The fiberglass added a lot of strength to this area.

Now on to the Rusted headlight Assembly. Eventually, I will be looking for "near new" assemblies, but for the short term, I ground off the rust with an air grinder tool , and rotatory wire brushes.  Used some rust converter spray and then covered it up with semi-gloss back rust paint. Pics are below.

Rusted headlight Assembly - Left Side

2i79xjo.jpg

2dju3q.jpg

ne9doi.jpg

2a5b2w5.jpg

15q2ihs.jpg

Back in the CRX - only to take out again once I get around to fixing all the metal around the housing.

2lvn71k.jpg

Next set of pics will be looking at brake line repair in a couple areas.

EviltwinCRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Its been a week or two since I updated.  I got slowed down working on a tricky brake line issue driver side, near the firewall, interior.  It wasn't serious, just awkward to reach and repair.  in my spare time I have been working on the passenger side headlight restore -it's done, plus doing some simple metal fabrication getting ready to get a bunch done, then weld and grind into place.  Attached are a few pics of the rear quarter panel fix (maybe), plus a replacement left side bumper mount, and another part to replace some corrosion on part of the windshield post, left side. All I did, was prepare in advance these parts, to weld and grind into place at a later date. I've got a bunch of various items to fabricate and that should keep me busy during the winter months.

My sheet metal stock for the next few fabrication projects.

10zsaw5.jpg

This looks ugly! All the rust will be cut off with a cut off wheel and the wheel well and quarter panel will be fabricated and replaced.  I'm not sure if I'm going to go with this solution 100%, but it gives you an idea in where I'm going. Just more or less testing ideas at this point.

514thl.jpg

2igy820.jpg

2dv289x.jpg

Fitting (testing the fit) of the fabrication to the Quarter Panel.

6t2wxc.jpg1snk1f.jpg

35k99pe.jpg15nn988.jpg

Edited by EviltwinCRX, 14 October 2014 - 10:07 AM.

EviltwinCRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Fabricating the Left Side Bumper Support

28kj8yw.jpg2rp3cb9.jpg

Fabricating Driver Side Windshield - Roof Support

Rusted out Section

2u4ldeu.jpg

New Sheet Metal

vo0ld1.jpg

i1z5uf.jpg23hxag7.jpg

egp8v6.jpg2efm1qc.jpg

Testing the Fit

2zstl5s.jpgjg2iyr.jpg

The fabrication should weld in nicely and then with some grinding prove to be a seamless permanent repair. It's all part of the fun of the restoration.

EviltwinCRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

On a Positive Side - I found a set of original 1987 "Saw Blade" Alloy rims for sale - made the purchase and had them shipped. They arrived.  I'll likely have these refinished to look like how they would have looked NIB.   I had to at least check one of them out on the Silver Evil Twin to see how they looked. I see potential :)

Here are a few pics.

2mc6onq.jpg

They fit fine.

hum59s.jpg

1y8pj5.jpg

EviltwinCRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

It`s getting cold in Ontario these days and harder to get out in a non heated garage to do work. I`ll be taking some parts into the house to work on over the next few months. The good news, fixed my brake line issue with repairs done to brake line that runs down the front left inside quarter panel area, plus fabricated a custom brake line for the rear right wheel area. After bleeding the line, replacing the brake system with new brake fluid, bench bleeding the master cylinder - all works great. I`ve had the EvilTwin out on private paved roads and this car is working great from a mechanical perspective. All body panels are now repaired and once I complete some welding to rusted out areas - I`ll be putting the panels back on, doing some minor cosmetic repairs to the exterior fiberglass panels and setting this CRX up for painting in the spring time. I`ll post some pics shortly.

ot1dmp.jpg

A couple days ago. The CRX is looking rough, but it's actually advanced in the project with all the plastic panels repaired. As mentioned, I've got some sheet metal work and welding to do - indoor garage winter projects.  These projects cars will not see the winter in terms of being winter driven anymore.

2wqfp79.jpg

Edited by EviltwinCRX, 01 December 2014 - 11:22 PM.

Bars84CRX

• 84 CRX, 1 owner. :D
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 67 Corvair Convertible, Royal Plum, Powerglide, 84 CRX, teg discs, weber carb, Si head, stock body otherwise, 1 owner
    Garage View Garage

Hey man, welcome to RP!  I'm a bit envious of your red car.  I'm here in SC with almost the same history with a 1 owner '84 CRX but admittedly, you've taken much better care of yours.  I practically drove it in the ground...twice.  Although it's the original motor and head, the motor was bored .020 many years ago - can't even remember when to be honest.  I think the #s go like this: 178k on first motor, put in a junker with 135k on it.  Put another 80k on that for 260k on the car.  I'm showing 361k now so there's 100k on that build.  Compression still showing 140.  It's been sitting 5 years at my dad's but I'm resurrecting her.  My mid-90's clear coat is separating so it needs to be re-shot.  So many things go wrong when a car sits - worst thing you can do to a car is not drive it.

Anyway, keep up the good work.  EvilTwin will look great one day.

BTW, you need to setup the exact same shot in your first picture, same pose, same buildings in the background and put them side by side.  ;)

84 CRX, 1 owner, Latest mod is an Si head, Weber carb, stock bottom end/trans/body/interior.  Rough sanded exterior in prep for primer, removed and rebuilt bumpers.

67 Corvair Convertible, Royal Plum, factory power top, 2 spd Powerglide, 110 hp

03 Dodge Ram 3500 towing vehicle, Quad Cab Long Bed Dually.

EviltwinCRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Just letting people know that I'm still working on this Silver CRX and since my last post I have relocated to a new city which involved transferring my CRX to my garage. To make things more complicated, I've been out of the country since July 2016 and due back July 2017. My goal is to continue the work on both my Silver 87 CRX and my Blue 86 CRX. Both cars still working fine, but need a lot of cosmetic work to bring them back up to "Classic Car" status.

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

That's great to hear!  Glad you're still sticking to your projects.  

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

cahitapower

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 civic si
Nice work bro... lots of fab going, like seeing people no giving up on these cars
So MuCh In SUcH A SmALL BoX

Project Build "CahitaPower"