F1 Edition Civic Project

• You cannot reply to this topic
46 replies to this topic

griffo20022

Sorry to hear your bit of rust troubles but it'll be worth putting the effort into, it's a stunning example this! :)

SiRedge

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si (JDM)
    • Image Gallery

Recently I acquired a set of floor mats out of an AH Civic. They were covered in filth, but after a fair bit of cleaning product, elbow grease and liberal use of a water blaster, they've come out looking quite reasonable.

When I first got them:

20990951599_73ed6cd92c_h.jpg

And after a clean:

20990930359_343d34c500_h.jpg

Okay, sure, they're not F1 edition mats, nor even the JDM Si's 'DOHC Sports" mats, and the colours won't match with my interior of course but whatever, interested to see how they look in the car!

SiRedge

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery

Time for a little rust update (click for bigger images).

As previously mentioned the idea was to check behind the tail lights for rot, as this is a common trouble spot with these. But I've been fortunate in this case - there's no sign of any rust which is great.

20636284144_918ece5cf7_h.jpg

There was a couple of small rust holes around the rear hatch seam, which will be patched (you can see the piece of steel that will be welded in sitting on the bumper):

21258981115_1dd2fc10fd_h.jpg

The rust in the rear passenger window seam has been patched:

21248469082_ce1d79279d_h.jpg

There's still a little work needed before it can go to paint - sunroof hole, bonnet, and other prep work, but it should be ready next week. Exciting!

SiRedge

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery

Greetings, reader.

. . .

Hmm? You still here? There's nothing to see . . .

. . .

Nope, nothing at all . . .

. . .

Oh alright alright, jeez! Here it is ready for paint. Picture dump!!

21221569870_8bcef900b5_h.jpg

21409664015_5a5a0822c5_h.jpg

20788590993_384caed5a4_h.jpg

21418084951_a370d7cb01_h.jpg

21418071821_872dbb76b0_h.jpg

I've been told I can pick it up tomorrow afternoon. Excite!!

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

Love this car!  Glad to see you're taking steps to make sure it's done right.  I look forward to seeing it complete!

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

SiRedge

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery

Thanks man :)

Well . . . I've got the car back again. Short version? It just looks incredible, blown away with how good it looks.

It needs to be put back together again and given a good wash - that'll have to wait until I'm back from the Coast unfortunately.

But in the meantime, here's a little sneak peek:

21244448759_9e672cc726_h.jpg

SiRedge

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery

Well, things have been rather madhouse for me over the last couple of weeks - along with several appointments to attend (and ladies to attend to ;) ), I've been in the process of moving house. So much crap involved with it . . . not a lot of fun! Still got a heap of sorting to do, but because I'm now finally in the new place, along with all my stuff, I don't have to do it all straight away. And I really wanted to get the Civic back together again!

Reinstalling the roof lining proved to be just as tricky as getting it out, much as I expected. There was many swear words used, and even with my Dad helping me out it still took several hours to get it in and have everything back together again.Then once it was back together, the sunroof wouldn't lock closed properly. The glass fitted in exactly where it was meant to, as expected, but when closing it the lever wouldn't lock it closed, and it was a little loose. I had no idea why it was doing this, but since I was busy moving house I wasn't able to look into it.

Today was my first free day for a while, and it was a cracker of a spring day too. I started out sorting through boxes of crap, but soon got sick of that and decided to go play with the Civic instead. Something posessed me to look at the sunroof locking bracket again, see if I could figure out what was up with it. I was extremely surprised (and delighted) to discover that, upon partially unscrewing the bracket, it could be slid forward or backward nearly 10mm - clearly a built in adjustment nobody I spoke to knew about. I slid it back and tightened it up again, and presto! Sunroof now closes perfectly. Great success!!

I celebrated by giving all of the interior plastics a clean (as best I could manage without taking vents etc apart anyway), and then vaccuming it out - the whole interior was full of dust and crap from having been at the panel shop for two weeks. Tomorrow morning I plan to give the outside a good wash and clean the windows on the inside as well . . . then it's time for some pics!!

SiRedge

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery

Washing happened, car is clean. Time for the post paint reveal.

21699975840_b995145c53_o.jpg

21888031865_4bb9319dcb_o.jpg

21700213838_69045ca3b7_o.jpg

21701180319_8a0f3e580f_o.jpg

21897700551_ebedf4533c_o.jpg

. . . and a couple of JDM style blossom pics, for the hell of it:

21897718971_bdbb1790c9_o.jpg

21897713751_6ae53eaec6_o.jpg

As it happens, today also marks five years since I've owned the car - I don't think there are many better ways to celebrate than this. Love this car.

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

Good god, that's beautiful!  Well done sir!

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 85 crx si, 86 crx dx (deceased)

Looks fantastic!

opelkadettpacer

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: Civic AL, R34 GTT

Your car looks pretty mint. keep on dude

SiRedge

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery

W394hpd.jpg

:(

Pretty sure it was only the clutch cable giving up, but, sigh.

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: Only loaners at the present time!
    Garage View Garage

So glad it's nothing more than that...couldn't help wondering what the sides away from the camera looked like before I read the picture caption...such an amazing example!

"Old and usually in the way" - Check out my '86 3G build in "VIEW GARAGE"

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

Yes, glad it wasn't any worse.  I'm used to seeing totaled CRXs on Facebook all the time.  She lives to fight another day.  Love the car.

Acre's Hatch

Thanks for the details. Great car.

3G Southern Civics