• You cannot reply to this topic
46 replies to this topic

SiRedge

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si (JDM)
    • Image Gallery

Welcome! I'll start off with a disclaimer. This isn't really a build like you're used to seeing. There are no major plans for this car - no engine swaps, no major overhauls, no turbo, nothing like that, so if you're looking for something epic you're probably looking in the wrong place. However, it seems people are also interested in reading about little jobs that are done during the life of a car, even if they're only minor or maintenance related . . . or just enjoy checking out a bunch of pics in various different locations after a wash. Fair enough, I do the same!

So with that out of the way . . . the details:

It's a 1986 Honda Civic Si F1 special edition. Being from Japan originally it has a factory DOHC injected ZC engine (133hp) and 5 speed manual transmission. There were some parts specific to the F1 special: leather F1 edition steering wheel, embroidered seats, white 14" "whirlpool" alloys, white wing mirrors and door handles, and of course the decals, but the rest is no different to a regular Civic Si. F1 editions only came in white, in 1.5i (EW) or Si (ZC) trim. They're getting quite rare now.

I got it around October 2010 - the guy I'd bought it off had bought it off a lady who had owned it since it was imported in 1993. When I got it, it looked like this:

E-ATCivicFrontDriver01.jpg

E-ATCivicReardriver01.jpg

E-ATCivicDash01.jpg

86Civic06.jpg

10921330866_3a493dc581_b.jpg

SiRedge

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery

Anyway, some history according to my paperwork:

2 October 2010: Bought the car at about 160,000km (just under 100,000 miles).

25 October 2010: Carried out the following work:

• New spark plugs
  • New spark plug gallery seals
  • New rocker cover gasket
  • New air filter
  • New fuel filter
  • New thermostat and seal; flushed cooling system
  • New transmission fluid
  • New radiator cap

I find that most basic maintenance tends to get ignored, especially by younger people who buy cars cheap and never know to check these things. The thermostat was in a right state, surprising it was still working. The fuel filter was gunked up. The spark plug galleries were full of oil because the seals hadn't been replaced. There was oil over everything. Poor little Civic!

About the same time I installed a Sony head unit because the previous owner had removed his. The front speakers received an upgrade. Nothing major, just some decent 3-ways, I forget the brand. Also installed a Mugen gearknob - why not?

18 May 2012: Failed a WOF (Warrant of Fitness in New Zealand - a 6 or 12 monthly check to ensure cars are road worthy) on "body damage to the left hand rear behind the bumper". It had been rear ended at some point in the past, but only half-pie repaired. Previous WOF checks had not picked up on this, even though they were done at Honda. Sigh. Also, had Mugen shocks fitted, which I had bought second hand, because the factory shocks were due for the bin. Also had a wheel alignment.

30 May 2012: Had "body damage" professionally repaired. New WOF!

2 July 2012: Had a set of 4-2-1 headers installed. The rest of the exhaust remained stock at that stage. It went a little bit better but didn't sound the best. About 2600 - 3000rpm it had a buzzy yowl which isn't the best. I put up with it for then. Also changed oil and filter. 167,600km.

12 November 2012: Have A/C regassed and high stop light soldered so the damn thing stops crapping out.

May 2013: Finally get around to getting tyres for the set of 15" Mugen MR5s I had sitting around for two years. I was a little worried that going from the OEM 14" wheels with 65 profile tyres to 15" wheels with 50 profile tyres would cause the ride to get worse - it was pretty choppy on the 14s. The opposite turned out to be true - the ride improved noticeably! I reckon the tyres on the 14s were to blame and probably well past their use by date. Pics below.

6 June 2013: WOF check. Main fuel relay resoldered. Clutch pedal pivot lubed. Rear hatch hinges lubed. Car squeaks less = win.

31 October 2013: Finally get fed up with the exhaust sounding terrible. Time to remedy! Custom 2" exhaust from the headers back, through two resonators, flow muffler, and a subtle twin tip. Result? Very pleased, huge improvements all around. It's relatively quiet but sounds great under load, deep and smooth but subtle, just the way a Civic should be. I enjoy driving it so much more since because it doesn't sound awful any more

4 December 2013: After noticing the A/C is not working at all (sigh), back to the shop for a "WTF?" Turns out high pressure o-ring needed to be replaced. A/C regassed again (had better keep working dis time...).

5 December 2013: WOF check (pass). Oil leaking from sump gasket and bung. This needs to be rectified. Booked in to have that sorted the week after next.

Time for a pics break:

10921359063_030db998a7_h.jpg

10921130606_8533579ba3_h.jpg

10921122836_0186de4545_h.jpg

Edited by SiRedge, 23 July 2014 - 06:19 PM.

SiRedge

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery

Some more stuff:

16 December 2013: Had the sump rethreaded and got a new bung (hurhurhur) and washer as well as a new sump gasket - hopefully that's taken care of the oil leak. If not, it will probably be the rear main seal. I've put down a clean sheet of cardboard where I park it in the garage to see if it drips any oil. Also had fresh oil and filter, the auto choke adjusted - the idle would often hunt a little when the engine got half way up to temperature, hopefully this will resolve the issue - and the rear hatch hinges lubed again. Main that squeaking is a nuisance!

14 January 2014: Been talking to a guy locally about giving the front end a bit of a spruce-up.

The front bumper and nose cone were awfully stone chipped, a lot of which was the result of me following an uncovered truck full of gravel on a road trip a couple of years ago, and the grill was quite patchy. Also, if you look at pictures earlier in my build thread the grill is white - mostly. It had been repainted at some stage in the past, factory the grill was black:

brochure1.jpg

Since I've got it back (with apologies for the crappy cellphone pic):

12228176883_82232796d3_b.jpg

13101844863_a9f2a3de83_h.jpg

Edited by SiRedge, 23 July 2014 - 06:19 PM.

SiRedge

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery

30 March 2014: Felt like a change of knobs to grasp, and the factory shift boot was starting to look a bit ordinary. Time for a change.

Before (Mugen):

11217107693_3c242e14b3_b.jpg

After:

13504071365_3a67c89bbb_b.jpg

13504412414_abd8227275_b.jpg

The shift boot is just a fraction too big to fit exactly right, but it's close enough. I'm happy with the outcome.

Also decided to upgrade the courtesy lamp to an LED item:

13504414974_0122c0f9b4_b.jpg

The one that was in there before was very dim, and when I took it out it was nearly falling apart - could have been in there since the car rolled out of the factory! This one is much better.

25 May 2014: Fitted an LED high stop light because the old one was almost completely obscuring cars behind me in the rear view mirror.

14076664609_5a33862149_h.jpg

It isn't very bright and looks a bit small in the window, which is slightly disappointing. But visibility through the rear view mirror is about 100 times better now, which is pretty much the whole reason I wanted to change it. I might get a better one at some stage, but for now, it works, and cars following me aren't obscured any more.

Also repainted the front lip because the initial paint was no good. A little tidier now.

Edited by SiRedge, 23 July 2014 - 06:20 PM.

SiRedge

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery

5 June 2014: Failed a WOF because driver's door hinge was too worn. More worryingly though, Honda noticed that there's a little coolant leaking from the water pump. I'd always planned on giving the whole thing a once-over at some stage, but that might now be sooner than expected. I can't do it yet because I've only just started my new job and finances are still a bit tight, but I'll take it back in a few months and get them to do a heap of things on it: cam belt, water pump, rear main seal, clutch, any other belts and seals that need doing - just give the whole thing a freshen up. The head of service (who I know fairly well) reckons he can do it for a good price at least.

A few other random photos:

Sunroof out:

14522200101_8d0e529d39_h.jpg

Dash:

14545721163_923e9ae4be_h.jpg

Engine bay:

14339156007_9b5848742c_h.jpg

16 July 2014: Some stuff arrived today . . .

14687322453_a55b386dcf_c.jpg

What could be contained inside?

14665133914_356aee2d7c_c.jpg

Aha!

. . . and . . . what do we have here?

14644428966_9637419b7b_c.jpg

Some Bridgestone Potenza Gymkhana shocks. Excellent.

They're a bit scruffy looking but specifically valved for these Civics, which is exactly what I want.

I've also ordered a pair of extended top hats from Cheddas Auto to help with front shock travel as well. The only downside is that they have to come around the world to get here! Once they arrive I'll put the new shocks in, change the rear springs, and lower it about 30mm. Looking forward to that!

Phew, a bit to get through to start! Thanks for reading if you made it this far! ^_^

Edited by SiRedge, 23 July 2014 - 06:27 PM.

MichaelStar

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2003 Jaguar S-Type R

That is very clean!  

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery

where did you order the lip?

SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

mlracing.co.nz

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: EF9, AT-SI, GS300
If you could just send me your rear hatch that would be great..

SiRedge

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery

where did you order the lip?

Yahoo auctions Japan. Mr mlracing shipped it over for me. :)

SiRedge

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery

I've been toying with the idea of making some videos of the car, with in-car footage while driving, the car driving past a fixed point, or rolling alongside another car filming, that kind of thing. I guess I feel like it would give a different perspective of the car than just photos of it - you could get more of a feel for what it's like on the road, how it sounds etc by watching a video. Anyone done much of this before? I guess I should be considering a GoPro?

Here's a short clip I made earlier today:

Guakala

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 87 CRX DX

Sweet Civic, she's in great shape!

Second place is just the first loser.

SiRedge

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery

Took some photos yesterday - click for moar bigness:

14568224527_6ac63d5dc1_o.jpg

14752316654_4b5f99721b_o.jpg

14568010009_df7306f16d_o.jpg

You can check out the rest of the photos here.

Jacinto

Gorgeous, I didn't know the existence of this edition. And this one is in good shape!

Congrats

SiRedge

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery

So all my new suspension bits are ready to go in the car. I bought some new bump stops, much shorter than factory, and my extended top hats have arrived from Cheddas. I was all set to get cracking this weekend but I've been pretty unwell, so it's been shelved until I'm feeling a bit better. Meantime I ordered a K&N panel filter (off eBay, cheaper than buying locally) to go into the factory airbox. It arrived so I popped it in.

The underside of the factory air filter, which is only about a year old, was looking pretty grotty.

14941887312_ca975ad8c2_h.jpg

Went for a bit of a hoon afterward to see if I could tell the difference. Sounds slightly different and perhaps revs slightly more freely as well, so I'm happy. :)

Blow_through_85cvcc

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: fresh rebuilt 85 crx dx
The head light on your f1 are super clean.