• Group: 2013 Contributor
Very nice! A true diamond in the rough!

DuallDude

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si
    Garage View Garage

Well I tore apart the spare EW3 engine that came with the car.... not good.  The number one cylinder is very rusty and the engine would not turn over untill I had it down to just the short block.  It had to turn backward to move the piston down from the rust at the top of the cylinder.  So I guess I will just find some piston rings, main and rod bearings for the engine that is in the car (to fix the knock).

ArnyBoy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si 86 Si Straman #108 92 NSX sold:( 13 ILX 06 Honda Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery

1. WOW!

2. solid find sir!

3. Strong work!

4. In for updates.

I pitty the fool...

beszerker1stgen

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si 1987 Crx Si
Congradulations on a great find this could help a lot of us that are looking for a rare Mugen piece or two.
What I'm thinking is take the lower door exterior door skin to a vinyl sing store and have them duplicate the
original CRX decals in all the original colors and sell them to the members. I for one would stand in line to purchase
in silver, white or black.
A way to make some money for your restoration?
Also the windshield transfer !
Paul

1stgenhybridCR-X

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 crx

one of kind find!

I would also stand in line to purchase a door cap CRX mugen set decal replicas and windshield mugen decal repilca

DuallDude

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Christmas $$ for the build coming soon I hope.  So some actual progress should be seen very shortly!

ballade

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si B16A / 1992 Integra RS B18C
    • Image Gallery

Dude lets see some progress. anything.... :)

DuallDude

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Ok sorry for the long gap in updates.  Buying a home and continuing college is time consuming.  I've managed to make some good finds at a local junkyard and had time to remove the engine from the car and tear it apart.

Finds from the junkyard

Passenger seat, had very dark staining on bottom cushion, a little pressure washing cleaned it up quite a lot.

IMG_0302_zps235a8cfe.jpg

Passenger tail light

IMG_0243_zps82700574.jpg

Now my super lucky find, only passenger show but I got a drivers side as well.

IMG_0242_zpsbbab300b.jpg

Ok so, I work on Hyundai's as a technician and I have gotten spoiled with lifts, lights and all my tools handy.  Working on this in my garage is a new kind of fun and I'm exited for more!

IMG_0267_zpscc570d1a.jpg

IMG_0272_zpsac620aa1.jpg

DuallDude

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

So the motor in the car still ran, but had a very bad knock.  When tearing down the extra motor I found the crankshaft to be in much better shape than the one from the car.  So hopefully the machine shop will agree the crankshaft from the extra motor is the better choice for then engine that will be rebuilt.

Some pics of the block pre and post cleaning

IMG_0202_zps36a03e43.jpg

IMG_0224_zpsb40e2031.jpg

664f910d-624d-4669-8ccb-780d53b54048_zps

2653a054-2e61-42ca-9540-4122103bb054_zps

Here's the head from the extra motor.  I don't think I'll be using much of this one!

IMG_0231_zpsa70f9123.jpg

IMG_0232_zps56bc5b6e.jpg

This is about what the inside of the block looked like for cylinder number 1

IMG_0230_zps51adce1d.jpg

DuallDude

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Congradulations on a great find this could help a lot of us that are looking for a rare Mugen piece or two.
What I'm thinking is take the lower door exterior door skin to a vinyl sing store and have them duplicate the
original CRX decals in all the original colors and sell them to the members. I for one would stand in line to purchase
in silver, white or black.
A way to make some money for your restoration?
Also the windshield transfer !
Paul

one of kind find!

I would also stand in line to purchase a door cap CRX mugen set decal replicas and windshield mugen decal repilca

I apparently did not read these correctly before.  If what you are asking for is me to get the decals copied by a vinyl print company so you can have them.  That is a great idea when I get some cash for that I'd be happy to get you some copies.  Just pm me what you want and colors.  Offer is good for anyone on here of coarse.

DuallDude

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

So I have not shown whats up with the drivers front corner yet.  Here are some "out of context" photos that look weird up close but show the tear. The way the corner is lifted made it difficult to remove the radiator as it was pinched between the angled bottom and top of the core support. For now I just live with it, while planing to have a body shop see what they think.

Here is a view from just in front of the drivers tire

IMG_0305_zps0630de8d.jpg

IMG_0304_zps529b5f6b.jpg

and a view from under the hood towards the passenger side

IMG_03081_zps2abe800c.jpg

beszerker1stgen

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si 1987 Crx Si

Merry Christmas !

That is exactly what I was suggesting. Besides buying a set of door cap decals in silver I could provide you with parts for your restoration. 

I have three Si's at this point 2 are parts cars.

recon1991

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1987 Civic CRX HF, 1994 Civic DX (EG)
    • Image Gallery

You have parts beszerker1stgen?  My HF in Hawaii is in need of some as the rough environments eats up a neglected beauty... 

DuallDude

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Quick update, I got the block and crankshaft back from the machine shop. They were able to polish the crank journals and get the rust off and just hone the cylinders to keep both at standard bearing/bore sizes. I ordered a Clegg master rebuild kit that will hopefully be put to use next weekend. Also found the drivers side front caliper piston it hanging up and been angling out/wearing against the rotor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DuallDude

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Slow day at work so I'll be working on the motor. So far the new pistons and rings are on the old connecting rods and in the block. Time to install the new bearings and plastiguage them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk