-tj's 86 Crx Si Project

• You cannot reply to this topic
119 replies to this topic

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
QUOTE (TribalHatch @ May 14 2010, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not to be off topic but what kinda lift is that ?

Haha....see Post #76

OG-TJ

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si 2002 Audi S6 1997 4runner 2003 Audi A6 6MT BiTurbo 1991 Civic Si
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

It's been a long while since I've updated this, but in the spirit of finishing what you start, I'll make this last post.  

Last week I passed our strict dyno emissions test, learned that collector / historic vehicle status has been extended to 32 years in CO, and got license plates back on my '86 CR-X for the first time in 13 years.  Last year, I had set the goal to have the car back on the streets for it's 30th - Mission Complete.

So, a brief recap -

I bought the car as "salvage" in 1993 and rebuilt it where it served as my daily driver until 1998 when I purchased a '91 Civic Si.

86CRX_-1_zpsvpb4ky5o.jpg

done%20crx_zpsafxikqw8.jpg

In 2000, I completed an '89 D16A1 swap in the CRX but the car got little attention because of career priorities.

In 2003, the D16A1 was rebuilt - ported, higher CR, rods, etc...

CRXonWEDS%20good%201_zpswxavhpuu.jpg

In 2005 I started disassembly for fitting the Houseman/Mugen body...and became a father which explains the dramatic project timeline from here:

IMG_13431_zpse0trzlfh.jpg

1986%20CRX%20Si%20Mugen%20Kit%20Install%

IMG_1934_zpsigtsurjj.jpg[/URL]

Sometime around 2010 I tackled the typical places for severe rust

IMG_5056_zpsnzupppda.jpg

Including the fuel tank...an unfortunate discovery...

2013-03-02_16-09-33_164_zpsjsycuuwk.jpg

...I had it professionally re-lined...

2013-03-20_15-00-38_814_zpslkptouoe.jpg

...and replaced the fuel pump

IMG_20130405_173117_231_zpspulrdobi.jpg

continued in next post due to image count limit...

WANTED - See my posts in the WTB section

The old long term build which I can no longer edit since my original account broke a few years back.

OG-TJ

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si 2002 Audi S6 1997 4runner 2003 Audi A6 6MT BiTurbo 1991 Civic Si
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

It seemed that there would be no end, but by 2015 it was ready for paint

IMG_20150905_zpsjvlkoh3v.jpg

IMG_0921_zps0siqjxv8.jpg

Fall of 2015 the car was finally in paint

IMG_19471_zpsx4gllheo.jpg

Winter / Spring 2016 was spent cleaning or refinishing every single part and re-assembling until finally it could be declared DONE.

IMG_20160110_153610508_zpsqsy9fngu.jpg

IMG_20160521_170646695_zpslw2eckhn.jpg

IMG_20160527_173230434_zps7l76zqfe.jpg

IMG_20160628_zpsf84m73wg.jpg

IMG_20160628_1_zpsgyzapmfa.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-TJ

The old long term build which I can no longer edit since my original account broke a few years back.

shuttlecraft

• Shuttlecraft
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 wagon fwd

Nice, really nice!

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

Wow, beautiful car!!  

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: Only loaners at the present time!
    Garage View Garage

amazing restoration! What a timeline...ready just in time to become your daughter's first car, right?

"Old and usually in the way" - Check out my '86 3G build in "VIEW GARAGE"

OG-TJ

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

amazing restoration! What a timeline...ready just in time to become your daughter's first car, right?

Haha, while she may indeed get to drive it one day, I think I'll let her make all the rookie driver mistakes in our '97 4runner.  That'll also serve as her manual transmission training.

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Wonderful finish for the project.  Now enjoy it.

anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

EGB18C

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: EG5 Civic, PP1 Beat
Amazing work!

OG-TJ

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Spring 2017 update:

I am indeed still alive and still cannot embrace the RPR drift to social media, so here's another old school RPR post.  Kudos to you, the few who might actually read this.

A lot has changed since the "final" post above.  A month after that post last June, our secret and casual house-hunting endeavor turned serious when we went to look at a dream property in the Colorado mountains.  Seemingly against the realm of all possibility - financial, market conditions, moving logistics, finding nothing wrong with the place - we rapidly found ourselves abandoning a quiet and routine lifestyle in the Denver suburbs for managing all the chaos that surrounds moving house.  

Fast forward 2 months and it's all a done deal.  

IMG_20161006_110056866_zps7x2icd3r.jpg

Unfortunately for the CR-X, that basically meant with so much to unpack and setup to resume life as we previously knew it, the dust was washed off and the cover went on.  [Yes, that's a 2g CRX cover]  Here it sits, tucked in the corner of the new garage.

IMG_20170406_084245351_zpsyovi8guv.jpg

Also not in favor of the CR-X is the fact that the new place is in the high country.  What one might expect out of a springtime post is getting the car out and the dust blown off.  The reality here is, even in the first week of April, this still happens....and although the bountiful sunshine in Colorado makes short work of melting spring snow, we also now live just 0.2mi off the nearest paved road.  So, it could be another few weeks before the white stuff is gone for the season and the subsequent mud has dried out.  Until next time, thanks for reading.

IMG_20170404_071358793_HDR_zpsbridnykz.j

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

Glad to see you're still alive! ;)  This car is one of my favorite cars on RPR so it's nice to get an update on it.  Congrats on the move.  Sounds really nice.

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

OG-TJ

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Thanks Steve, I haven't forgotten that I still owe you a little write-up for the genone blog.  I think I have some draft of something I started working on before I turned everything upside down with the move.

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

Thanks Steve, I haven't forgotten that I still owe you a little write-up for the genone blog.  I think I have some draft of something I started working on before I turned everything upside down with the move.

I would still love to feature your car on the blog but no rush.  I'm here when you're ready. :)

Sinub

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 2012 Civic Si, 1987 Crx Si
    Garage View Garage

Your car is gorgeous! Love the color and style. I'm surprised I haven't seen it before. Glad to see this thread get bumped up for me to see.  :)

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

-TJ moves to the mountains...I move to TX!  COTA is in my backyard -TJ...