85 Crx Exhaust

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

c0nspire

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
honda-tech directed me here for this question, i hope i am not out of line and can get an answer.

just wondering how similar the 85 civic/crx exahust is to the 88-91 cars

will the 85 crx exhaust fit a 91 civic hatch? how much modification would be required?

i found a mandrel bent 2.25" for cheap and wanan see if i can make it fit.

the wheelbase from the 85 is 86.6" and the 91 civic is 98.4"

i dont mind having to weld in a ~12" section to the mid pipe if i have to, just wondering if it follows the same path (axle back beign the important part)

pretty much i guess it comes down to this.. does the axleback fit?

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Welcome to our site.

No, there is almost nothing similar between a 1987 and older Honda and a 1988 and newer Honda. Life would be so much more simple for those of us who own 1987 and older Hondas if this were so. Thre are a few small parts that can be exchanged, but the exhaust system is not one of them.

Was the cat back system made by Monza or Pacesetter (the same company)? If so, it is crap and you should avoid it.

Rather than following the suggestion of the car magazines and those who read (and believe them) you should consider thinking for yourself. I.E.- Some sort of magical "cat-back" system will NOT unleash hidden power from your car's engine. Yes, a less restrcitive exhaust will help (a little bit) but you do not have to buy some pre-fab system for your car. Every muffler shop in America will be happy to whip up a custom exhaust for your car for a price far less than buying a boxed cat-back from a "name brand" manufacturer. Mandrel bends are nice and you may even see a tiny difference on the dyno. But consider that you will need some back pressure to make low end torque which is what we need in a daily driver.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

c0nspire

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
thanks

but the larger exhaust is for a built b18b in a 91 hatch, so i need the larger diameter, and i could get all the piping from the guy w resonator w/o muffler for under 100 bucks

i was quoted around 2-300 (CAD) for a custom one

the setup on my crx was fabbed by me, but i dont want to do another setup like that myself.