Optimum D16a1 Exhaust Size?

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

signman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
OK, I've done alot or reseach on this and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for, so I'm needin some ideas. unsure.gif

A little background:

I have a D16A1 motor and trans out of a '88 Teg that I'm getting ready to swap into my '87 Civic SI. I just ordered a bunch of parts to go along with my swap. Here's just part of the list:

ACT Clutch
Phantom Grip LSD
Fuel rail
Accel Fuel Injectors
AEM Fuel pressure regulator
Weapon R Cold air intake
NGK Ignition Wires and plugs
Pacesetter 4-2-1 Ceramic Coated Header

Now, the header has a 2" collector dia. My question is: With the mods I've listed do I get a Hi-Flow cat with a 2" inlet - 2" outlet and keep that dia. for most of the way back? Or should I step it up to 2 & 1/4 or even 2 & 1/2"" before the cat and keep that dia. back to the muffler? I know bigger is usually better, but I don't want to go too big and loose backpressure needed for torque. I'm going to have a local muffler shop I trust do the exhaust work, I just need to know what size cat and piping some of you guys recommend. Also while we're talking exhaust I'd love to hear some suggested brands for catalytic converters and mufflers.

Thanks,

Paul

CRXdan

Recomend Magnaflow, Flopro, or Hooker Aerochamber mufflers for quite yet performance sound.
I am goign with 2 1/4", but I have cams, and likely turbo planned in the future.
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

curtperry

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si (project), 99 4Runner Limited, 2005 AstroVan
According to what I've read, 2 inches is fine for d-series N/A assuming you won't be using some crazy cam and revving to super high rpms

signman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Cool! Thanks for the quick replies. I think I'll go with 2". I don't foresee a turbo, (but ya never know) biggrin.gif and if I do cams it won't be anything too radical. Speaking of cams...who makes 'em? What kind of specs y'all recommend for an aggressive street driven car? I haven't been able to find anywhere that carries 'em.

Thanks again,

Paul

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
well you got the fuel setup all done so all you gotta do is just drop a turbo in there and yoru set
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
There are cams available, you just have to look a bit harder. The old A1 isn't as commom as a "B" for aftermarket parts. I believe JG makes some, Colt Cams in Vancouver, BC and a few others. I think even exospeed does some for the A1 now. Try searching on here for some info on cams: g1teg.org JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

BigOrange

• I pitty the fool aint got no honda
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI, 1985 Civic Wagon Turbo, 1971 n600, 1972 n600, 1972 n600, 1991 miata, 2002 turbo protege 5
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
What about zc cams? My friend put zc cams in his d16a1 and all he had to do was putem in and get a different sized timing belt and timing gears. or so he says.......

BigOrange
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suck

If a Hatch is Bread van, then what is a Wagon? A bread bus?
Wagoboost project, 7psi and giggling :)

Turbo Si Wagovan clan member

CRXdan

I have shadbolt regrinds. Now idea about the specs. Did not change the idle, and apparentley theyll pass smog too.
Its not a wild cam so powerstill drops of at 6500rpm but it hits hard at 4500 and up.

Ill try to get u a cam card.
90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo

signman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
OK, I did alot more researching on the cams and found a few places that may do regrinds and that sort of thing. Here's a few links for those you might be interested and not already know:

http://www.crower.co...camshafts.shtml

http://www.jgengined...s.com/HOME PAGE

http://www.gude.com/

http://www.exospeed.com/

One for ZC cams... if they'll work in the D16A1:

http://www.webcamsha...ura-auto.html#3

I haven't contacted any of these places yet, and it'll prob. be awhile before I have enough cash to do cams, ect. Just thought I'd pass along some info. and cool links I found. cool.gif Also I found that JG engine Dynamics will port out your throttle bodies and install a new throttle plate for these engines.

Hope this helps someone.

Paul

paul barela

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87civic si w/d16a1 and T3 turbo@ 8psi
QUOTE (signman @ May 29 2004, 11:52 AM)
Cool! Thanks for the quick replies. I think I'll go with 2". I don't foresee a turbo, (but ya never know) biggrin.gif  and if I do cams it won't be anything too radical. Speaking of cams...who makes 'em? What kind of specs y'all recommend for an aggressive street driven car? I haven't been able to find anywhere that carries 'em.
Thanks again,
Paul

hey paul I was just reading your post on the cams and those are some pretty good sites for cams. But on your exaust if you dont plan on keeping the engine stock. I would go with the 21/4, thats what i did from the ex manifold to the cat and (magna flow muff)gutted the kitty. It was the best thing i have done so far, power down low, power in the middle and when it gets above 4500 it pulls hard all the way to 7000rpm. biggrin.gif on that note i would not put a 21/2 exaust on like i did later from the cat back, unless you want to loose power on the bottom end or if you want to put a turbo on. when i first did the swap the power was great, now i think my car is ok on power and want more. i guess your perspective changes as you start to beat faster and faster cars. Any way my name is Paul also so maybe we'll have to write last names. thanks Paul Barela

CRXdan

The need for speed never ends.
I coudl never imagine going back to a bone stock d16a1.... and I used to think it was FAST.
I still think my car i slow
90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
again, backpressure is not needed for torque.

in fact, backpressure is unwanted for ANY performance.

what you want is exhaust gas velocity. bigger piping moves the same volume of air at lower velocity. THIS is what causes a drop in low end torque. not a reduction in backpressure.

a 2" pipe straight pipe with mandrel bends will offer better performance than a 2" system with chambered muffler and bent piping. why? less backpressure, that is why.

Edited by shadowboy, 01 June 2004 - 08:46 AM.

Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

signman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Paul, What are the odds? Another Paul...with a '87 Civic Si...with a D16A1 swap! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif Cool man. Thanks for the suggestion on exhaust sizing, I'll definately keep that in mind. It's always good to hear from people who have some first hand experience with a couple different variables like that. wink.gif

Dan, your right...the need for speed never ends. I'm already debating what mods to do next, once all THIS is done. LOL Called Summit today about a lightened flywheel they advertize (can't remember the name brand off hand) and they said it was on backorder until...get this...first of Oct. !! Weighed 10lbs. though, which I don't think is too light so I'm gonna check around and see if I can find one for my application in stock somewhere. The vehicle I had before this civic was a Dodge Dakota Club Cab R/T with a few goodies installed. Last time at the track it ran 14.0 in the 1/4 on Nitto street tires. Certainly not the fastest thing out there...but alot quicker than this little bone stock Si I have now. In the civic's defense... I can honestly say I don't mind the switch TOO much...with gas prices going the way they are. The truck got about 10 mpg on a good day! ohmy.gif Also the civic is so small, and low to the ground, it's almost like driving a go-cart on the streets when compared to the long, heavy truck. LOL Can't wait to get the Acura engine and the few goodies I've bought in there and see what it's like! biggrin.gif

Thanks again for the replies everyone,
Paul K.

signman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
OK a quick note. I just looked up the website for the flywheel I mentioned in my earlier post from Summit. It's a SSG Engineering flywheel and the guy I talked to at Summit obviously didn't know what he was talking about. They list their flywheel as weighing 4.75 lbs. A bit too light for my taste. Anyway if ya want to check it out here's a link:

http://www.ssgperf.c...t_flywheels.htm

Anyone know of a place to get a flywheel for my application that weighs say 10 - 12 lbs. ?? unsure.gif

Later,
Paul

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
if you want a quiet muffler w/ straight pipe performance, i am testing a new muffler from a company previously funded by nissan and recently nasa for airplane mufflers. i have all the materials now, and i'm just waiting get my dyno date.

i will let all of you know the results, i will be comparing this new muffler to a flowmaster deltaflow 50-series, stock muff, and straight pipe with power and noise data to compare.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC