Honda Carbs Are Insanely Annoying

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
here's the deal its a 86 1.5 dx hatch all stock with emmisions manual trans.
cannot get it started { did once but only for a lil bit while it revved uncontrollably because the throttle was stuck open
the main problem with it i guess is that i cannot figure out how the throttle actuates the main barrel i believe its the main barrel since its the bigest and its round but still i dont get it!!!hard to explain the problem but my main reason for posting thread is for sympathy sad.gif and maybe a little help along with some pictures of what it should look like oooh and maybe a diagram
im hopelessly lost in emmissions BULLSHIT help!!!
--zak--
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Read through this, it might help.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

150DollarRacer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1990 Toyota Celica GT V6, 1987 Honda Civic DX 1500
First thing I say to do is go buy a can of carb cleaner. Take off the air cleaner assembly and wash the outside of the carb off while trying to avoid washing any of the dirt into any of the barrels.

After all the linkages are cleaned up it should work better.

My civic used to idle at like 1500rpm and I think washing down the carb helped it out a good bit because it now idles around 700 or so.

tjbizzo

• pumice my corns
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si Crapmobile
What country are you in zak? btw please update the location in your profile so we'll know next time. If you're in the US then you have the weird cvcc 3bbl carb. The primary bbl has a squarish shape with the choke in the top, the secondary bbl has the larger round venturi nearer the head (it is vacuum actuated by a diaphram), and the auxiliary bbl is the tiny one off to the driver's side between the other two. If you're located elsewhere then I have no idea. Tell us something about the history of the car, like how long you've owned it, if it has ever run good before, if you've done any work to it, etc. Forget about the larger secondary bbl for now, you only need it when you floor it. First, go get a can of starting fluid (ether usually) from the parts store, take off the air cleaner cover, spray a 1/2-1 second shot into the primary bbl, and try to start it. If it doesn't start now then it's something besides your carb. Are you sure you've plugged all open vacuum lines and don't have any major vacuum leaks? Check those first and *very* carefully follow the vacuum hose diagram under your hood. Let us know what happens when you've done all of this.
Posted Image

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
wow thats the most helpful thing yet, tjbizzo, wow i had no idea that the secondary was the big circular barrel weird!!! yes i have had it started before with the help of electric parts cleaner(some kind of aclohol gas-very cool) but starting fluid didnt work?!
I am in the process of transfering the title so i dont own it yet but im getting it from the origional owner(a friend)for free and i know the history of it
it is a blue(faded with peeling clearcoat-i know i know the top of the line model!) civic dx 3dr 1.5 5 spd 3 bbl carb cvcc(i HATE cvcc!)
what else should i say its been sitting for 7 months but did run
needs major break work and total flush...smells like ass/budwiser beer/vomit
good windsheild! biggrin.gif terrible seats(in the market for better ones blue if possible pm me)
--zak--

tjbizzo

• pumice my corns
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si Crapmobile
If it doesn't start with starting fluid then look for ignition problems. Have you checked the spark yet? If not then do that first. Make sure that ALL the engine, chassis, and wiring grounds are clean and connected. Buy a manual if you don't already have one (Helms is best), or use the manuals at the top of this page. At the very least take out the spark plugs, clean and gap them, make sure the cap/rotor/wires/coil look good and all distributor wires are plugged in. Maybe go ahead and do all the tuneup stuff that needs doing anyway, especially BOTH fuel filters.
Posted Image

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
I failed to mention that the ignition is good and producing spark.
I am going to change the fuel filters(once again thankyou for an excellent suggestion) and maybe the pump. I believe im going to drain the gas tank...who knows whats in there. I have an electric pump outta my 350 van that works well I might give it a shot... I hate CVCC!!!!!!!
im tired im sure i forgot something but thats all for now
let me know about anything else ppl
--zak--

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
got the car running i belive the main problem was that there was no fuel in the line it just needed to crank forever
but still this carb is superior to none. crap!
--zak--