Ignition And Clutches

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

150DollarRacer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1990 Toyota Celica GT V6, 1987 Honda Civic DX 1500
I am planning to put an order through at Summit this week and wanted to make sure I only need to make one order. Im picking up a hedman header and a dynomax glasspack muffler for the exhaust. I'm planning to remove the hood latching mechanism so ill also be getting some hood pins since they are cheap.

As far as ignition goes, will the engine benefit from an upgraded coil? If so, does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap coil? I was looking at the MSD ones but I dont know which one I will need:

http://www.msdigniti...l_blaster_1.htm

8202? 8203?

Secondly, im looking to replace the clutch disc since it seems quite worn out but I dont wish to spend much money. I would assume that OEM is cheaper than aftermarket and if so, are there any online vendors that sell honda parts for cheap?

While the clutch is out, Im thinking I might get the flywheel lightened. Is this safe to do with honda flywheels?

I are Corey

• ...how dare you
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Civic Si Hatchback
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I dont think a coil would improve the engine that much at all. correct me if im wrong.

But if you are to get one i'd say go for the MSD. they are nice.

<span style='color:red'>SportInjectedClub</span>

Rollin

• Desert.
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 88 Wagon &quot;Fiona&quot;, 85 1500DX &quot;The Tick&quot;, 90 HB (Rip), 86 Wagon 4x4 (Rip)
You can try an Accel coil but you would have to modify it. As far as ignition check out the "direct hits system" Direct Hits Home page. They relatively cheap and supposed to be on par with MSD. smile.gif
- Just Rollin, bruised and rebuilt but Rollin.
- "Insanity is defined as doing the same old thing the same old way and expecting different results." Albert Einstein
- --> Under Construction <-- [Always]

GaylordFocker

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 89 240sx
like Corey said, it wouldn't be too much of an improvement, but these motors are getting old, so an upgrade really wouldn't hurt. At least you'd improve throttle response and milage. as for clutches, I think centerforce stage 1 is going for around $120.00 at nopi. I think it's just a OE puck with a stronger friction disc. Not too much of an improvement-being an OE or equilivent go for around $10-50 cheaper. Than again, I've seen harsher clutches break forks and gears on the newer S20 trannies. Not sure if it's the same with these older models.

Rollin

• Desert.
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 88 Wagon &quot;Fiona&quot;, 85 1500DX &quot;The Tick&quot;, 90 HB (Rip), 86 Wagon 4x4 (Rip)
I know you were looking through Summit, but you can get an Exedy clutch on www.ebaymotors.com right now for about $90. Just search "84-87 Civic" and they will come up. smile.gif
- Just Rollin, bruised and rebuilt but Rollin.
- "Insanity is defined as doing the same old thing the same old way and expecting different results." Albert Einstein
- --> Under Construction <-- [Always]