Rear View Mirror, Height Adjusment Ideas?

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

letank

The mirror is too low obstructing my vision in our steep street, masking traffic coming from the right side... at 6', it is getting annoying.... I am trying to shorten the oem mirror.... but it probably is not enough. The next step would be to find one that fits on the windshield with a short shaft.

Anybody has done something similar. I checked the appearance post on picts from the inside no mods. The tall guys have lowered the seats.... then you need to mod the sun visors which are too small.... another post... any sun visors capable of stopping that side coming sun?

kess

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: RPR member #40. 1987 CRX Si, 1988 CRX Si, 1990 CRX Si/JRSC
Try a Wink racing mirror. Three or five mirror array. But your sun visors will have to go away.
When the Student is ready the Teacher appears...

stock85

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 Civic 1500S
    Garage View Garage
Let me know if you figure anything out. I'm 6'5" so I feel your pain. I haven't lowered my seats… I just slouch.
"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson
-------------------------------------
1985 Civic 1500S - Bone stock, and staying that way

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I have a bit of a solution, pickup a RAM mount (I am using RAM-B-166-347U), attach the mirror to the plate, and adjust as necessary. This is in my 04 SiR with a Longacre race mirror, but the same thing should work in the older car with a stock mirror. The main reason I did this was because the stock mirror fell off and I couldn't get it to stick back on, and I like having the big mirror, but it was too low in the stock placement. No pics currently, but that could be arranged.

Tom
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

ATXBoy

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic Si
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
the easy solution would be to just bend the mount in a vice so that the mirror moves upwards, closer to the windshield. You should be able to use the rubber mirror stabilizer closer to the mount base aswell (if you still have one ;) )

The cap pries off from the front corners of it, and the mount i secured by two phillips head bolts.

I remember thinking about getting it shortened by cutting and re-welding, but that seemed like too much hassle

Ultimately i ended up gutting my expiring stock drivers seat to accomodate my 6'3" ass.

Posted Image

As you can see there looks to be about 2" of height to be gained by bending the OEM bracket.

I will come back soon with results as I am always looking for more ways to increase visability/drivability/safety on the skreets B)

letank

Could not bend the shaft...I ended up cutting a 1" section, inserting a pin and gluing it back w JB weld.... I only gained 1/2 ". Took a trip to the junkyard and picked a neon windshield mounted mirror.... The metal tab is available at the local parts store.... will post pict when done....