Need Technical Help For D16a1 C-rex Lemons Racer

• You cannot reply to this topic
89 replies to this topic

Lemons Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 D16a1 C-Rex, 2006 CTS-V
Some friends and I bought and prepared a non-si 86 CRX for the 24 Hours Of Lemons. We entered our first race last fall and our best lap was a pathetic 1:10.73. A solid 8 seconds behind the leaders. Luckily, we blew up our engine and had to find another. We found an 87 integra for dirt cheap and stole EVERYTHING off of it. Engine, front brakes, rear brakes, front suspension cradle, etc. We got it started the day of the race, only kept it running for a bout 6 total hours or racing, but still managed a 1:05.31 for our best lap.

So we have a competitive car but we need to work on our handling and improve our durability. The main issue we need to solve is that we are getting no rear grip. We are going to lower the rear more, bend the axle for some camber, and maybe add a little weight back there. Remember, we can't really spend any more money on performance parts. Brakes, wheels, tires, and anything that counts as a safety item don't count toward our cost limit though. Hopefully you guys have some experience and ideas that will help. I'm a total noob when it comes to these cars, so don't hold back.

Lemons Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Here's an abbreviated list of stuff we are already planning on doing:

-Bend rear axle for camber
-Lower rear
-(maybe) Move front shock towers mounts back and in
-Make front shock tower brace
-Make Cold-Air intake
-Move and shorten main fuel line
-Tune? (is this possible/worth it?)
-Install cheap-o PhantomGrip knockoff LSD

Edited by Lemons Rex, 18 February 2010 - 09:28 PM.

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
swap the integra torsions and tubes, the brakes weigh more according to scott, so dont use em. in fact i would think about gutting the rear brakes to save rotating weight since this is ONLY a race car, just depends on how much you think you need em biggrin.gif

weld in some fender braces and strut tower braces. for some solid rear action, weld up the internal rear sway bar. if you are having trouble with rear grip, would filling the axle with some weight work better than putting in the trunk, since lower center of grav? just some things to think about

make sure to use the integra lower control arms as well, since if you dont you will have positive camber in the front.

did you use 3m window weld in the motor mounts? this will help your power stay on the ground and not wound up in the mounts
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
I'd say weld-up the RR axle pivot bearing (like kaymo suggested) but I'd cut the internal rear swaybar, to save weight.

How about welding up the spider gears, instead of doing a limited slip?

Keith

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

Lemons Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
We used the entire front suspension cradle from the integra so we have the torsion bars, control arms, sway bar, etc. We need the bigger brakes for passing since we don't have the hp that some of the bigger cars have. We considered welding the spider gears, but weren't sure what kind of problems that might cause. Has anyone done this? If so, please direct me to a thread so I can check out their results.

There is some debate in our team about what to do about the rear grip. I think we need to shift as much of our weight % as we can to the rear and tighten it up as much as possible. Some of our other guys (who have a lot of professional and semi-pro racing and driving experience albeit all in RWD cars) agree that we need to shift our weight distribution to the rear, but feel that we need to increase the amount of rear body roll in order to increase weight on the outside tire when cornering. Any thoughts?

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
From what i've heard, you don't need to bend the axle to gain more camber.

Simply add some washers to the two bottom bolts of the the hub bearing to space it out a bit!

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
"No rear grip" means you are getting over-steer? Is the back end of the car is stepping out, particularly under braking into a corner?

First off, shifting weight from the front to just in front of the rear axle is a very good idea. Putting weight behind the rear axle will induce a "pendelum" action that will increase over steer.

Second, understand the physics of thes cars. At rest, 60% of the car's weight is over the front wheels. Under braking maybe 90% of the car's weight is over the front wheels. If you trail brake into a corner, what little weight that is over the rear wheels gets shifted forward and the rear wheels have nearly lost all contact with the road.

Cliffs: Brake in a straight line.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Lemons Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
We don't trail brake the car. In fact, I try not to use the brakes any more than I have to since it is an endurance race. Lots of heel-toe downshifts with a tap on the brakes right at turn in.

However, when I do turn in the rear just kind of slides. I guess that it's technically oversteer, but I also get understeer once I get on the throttle. This is being caused from the lack of a Limited-Slip. What I am virtually certain will happen once I install a LSD (or lock the diff) is that I will get great pull up front and zero grip in the back. Power induced oversteer. I know how to fix this in a RWD car, but FWD is a bit of a mystery to me.

Lemons Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (kaymo @ Feb 18 2010, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
did you use 3m window weld in the motor mounts? this will help your power stay on the ground and not wound up in the mounts

Yup. It worked a lot better than I thought it would.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (kaymo @ Feb 18 2010, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you are having trouble with rear grip, would filling the axle with some weight work better than putting in the trunk, since lower center of grav? just some things to think about

No Kaymo, adding weight to the axle is a very bad idea. You want to reduce unsprung weight anyway you can without making it unsafe.

I have welded my rear sway pivot bearing in my B20 hatch because it was bad anyway, works great.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Lemons Rex @ Feb 19 2010, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However, when I do turn in the rear just kind of slides. I guess that it's technically oversteer, but I also get understeer once I get on the throttle. This is being caused from the lack of a Limited-Slip. What I am virtually certain will happen once I install a LSD (or lock the diff) is that I will get great pull up front and zero grip in the back. Power induced oversteer. I know how to fix this in a RWD car, but FWD is a bit of a mystery to me.

If you lower the rear it will ad more static weight to the rear of the car. If it's already loose, you're going to make it worse by adding more weight.
Are your rear tires the same size as the fronts? If not you should use a softer compound tire back there or run the same size. This being Lemons though, I would guess that you are using DOT tires with a minimum treadwear rating so that's out.

It also sounds to me like you have WAY too much rear roll stiffness. Be it by stiffer springs (you never mentioned what kind or rate you have) or a big rear anti-roll bar. I'm guessing you still have the original internal rear bar in the axle though, if so, you could remove it as has been suggested. Personally, I wouldn't do that though for what you're doing. I'd get softer springs first.

If you are still using the original CRX springs then I think there's something odd going on, it shouldn't be that loose. Especially with the Integra front suspension, that should make it push.

QUOTE (Lemons Rex @ Feb 19 2010, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What I am virtually certain will happen once I install a LSD (or lock the diff) is that I will get great pull up front and zero grip in the back. Power induced oversteer. I know how to fix this in a RWD car, but FWD is a bit of a mystery to me.

Uhh...no, not unless you have it set up with some rear toe out. Which I have added into my car in some cases but in your case, I wouldn't recommend it.

So, what are you using for rear springs?
Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
i know someone with a welded diff, he needs a football field to turn 180
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Lemons Rex @ Feb 19 2010, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a tap on the brakes right at turn in.

Try braking BEFORE turn in.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si (with big flares and a ZC!) 2004 Civic SiR
    • Image Gallery
Few suggestions.

Looks like you are very low in the front. Could you be bottoming the front causing wierd chassis pitch changes in a corner? Do you get stange understeer/oversteer oscilation from bouncing on the bump stops?

If it is just a statically oversteery car you can do some of the following

stiffen the front roll stiffness
Soften the rear roll stiffness
Stiffen front spring/damper combo
Softern rear spring/damper combo
Make sure front alignment is neutral to a small amout of toe IN
Same for the rear......Toe IN will make it more stable

I would first check the toe settings all around, I run with basically 0 toe an all 4 corners. Rear toe OUT will drastically affect the rear grip. I tried it once and the car was terrifying!!

Rob

Edited by RETROCRX, 19 February 2010 - 02:13 PM.

Must.....go......racing.......

rolandinacrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86crx, 2008tundra,92civic grocery getter,29 ford
i don't no what to say without driven it, so what do you say biggrin.gif
kicken ass and taken names

Build Thread - CLICK HERE!