Would You Still Talk To Me If I Had A Spec Miata?

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

iceracercrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 CRX
I just put in a offer in one a 91 spec miata. It has some race miles on it, so the body isn't nice. But it comes with a spare motor, tranny, rearend, three sets of tires and wheels. It also has some trick dash and crap. I think some spent a ton of money building and racing. I know the owner and his father, and they are looking to racing higher powered cars. I will be the third owner on the car since it became a racecar, which worries me a little. It seems like a pretty good deal to me for under 10 grand.

Will you guys hate me?
I will still icerace my honda!

Randy
PS The deal isn't done yet but getting there.

bobdragster

• Without 無限Limit
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1980 Honda Prelude
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (iceracercrx @ Sep 2 2006, 11:59 AM)
I just put in a offer in one a 91 spec miata.  It has some race miles on it, so the body isn't nice. But it comes with a spare motor, tranny, rearend, three sets of tires and wheels.  It also has some trick dash and crap.  I think some spent a ton of money building and racing.  I know the owner and his father, and they are looking to racing higher powered cars.  I will be the third owner on the car since it became a racecar, which worries me a little.  It seems like a pretty good deal to me for under 10 grand.

Will you guys hate me?
I will still icerace my honda!
Randy
PS The deal isn't done yet but getting there.

I don't hate anyone because of the car they drive. I may not like their car, but I won't have anything against the person. As far as I know Miata's aren't bada cars, I am kinda neutral about them... As in I don't really care that much about them. So it's fine by me...

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
Just for a minute or two dry.gif !

tongue.gif JK Actually, I raced a friend of mines a few years ago in an enduro and had a lot of fun. They handle great and are very predictable. The thing that surprised me the most about it though was the brakes!!! ohmy.gif They're GREAT! I couldn't believe how much better they were than my GP CRX's (before rear discs).

Here's the only drawback to that aspect though....The cars are sorta underpowered and need as much momentum through the turns as you can get. So, if you're on them just a bit too hard or long....you just lost a few, to several, places blink.gif !

Fun cars though.

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

tom91ita

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1st gen crx si's and 2nd gen si's
this ad is a little dated but for under $10 G's you could get 2 or 3 1st gen ITB CRX Si's.

or two and a used enclosed trailer.

or one and a new enclosed trailer.

then we would talk to you a lot more!

and you wad them up racing, they would be spare ice racers.

good luck. S&M looks like fun sometimes.

tom

Jack ffr1846

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: CRX, YukonXL, 65 Cobra, Mazda6
I was considering a spec Miata when I came upon my CRX 3 years ago. I was looking at a champion spec Miata for $12k vs the CRX which had been SCCA ITA raced for several years for an asking price of $6k. I ended up buying the car for $4k including a ton of spares. I've since sold maybe $1k of the spares and further stripped the car down (I don't SCCA).

Last Monday, I was at the track and went out with a friend who's got a 1st gen Miata that was time trials winner last year. I had a student in the pass seat, which slowed me a bit. He pulled maybe 1/4 second a lap on me. A fully prepped spec Miata would easily gain another 2 seconds over that one, so they are fast.

jack

RFL85CRXSI

• The Martinsburg Intimidator!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Honda Civic CRX Si ,'85 Honda Civic CRX DX, '02 Ford Crown Victoria Police Crusier, '94 Chevy S-10 LS1 (Haul'n AsS-10), '98 Plymouth Breeze 2.4T
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Well, my girlfreinds dad races an ssm miata (which was turned in to a can of spam Monday at Summit Point {will post pics}), but I had him take my Dx out durring parade laps. Lets just say he fell in love w/ that thing.

Suck my SOHC!
Im the VTAC sauze on your Honda Burger!

Zephyr

• On the Podium
  • PipPipPipPip
Mehh spec pinata. It's a fun class but I run over them in my H5 car.

Bottom line it's a racecar and you're racing, a lot more then most people out there.

Z
1985 CRX Si H2 Racecar
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with a WRX swap

RFL85CRXSI

• The Martinsburg Intimidator!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Honda Civic CRX Si ,'85 Honda Civic CRX DX, '02 Ford Crown Victoria Police Crusier, '94 Chevy S-10 LS1 (Haul'n AsS-10), '98 Plymouth Breeze 2.4T
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Honestly, I would love to race my Dx, the only issue is the lack of $$$. Also, im not sure what class my Dx will fit under now (ITC is out of the question due to my bike carbs).

Suck my SOHC!
Im the VTAC sauze on your Honda Burger!

PacerRacerGirl

• Racerchick
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: Old car: 1986 Civic Si. Then a 94 Mazda MX6. Now a 90 Miata and a 87 Civic Si
I won't hate you.

Come to the dark side. Miata's are the most beautiful handling cars ever made. Every time I'm on the track all over the bumper of some M3 or EVO I'm yelling ... "I love this car!!!" biggrin.gif (That and "give me a point-by you @*&%@")

Until the straights. dry.gif

...Must get more power.

It's a good thing the Civic is such a good parts hauler.

Vitamin J

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Hatch w/ swapped built EW3, 1996 Miata
high five! i bought a low mile, perfect condition, leather seated, top of the line '92 Miata for $3000 and turned it into a Spec Miata. I probably spent $15k including the car, and it still needs a competition motor, right now i'm on the stocker with 115k miles.

its the black #13:

be prepared to have the most fun you'll ever have in your life, check it out:

Click here to see Video
Posted Image

iceracercrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 84 CRX
Well my offer wasn't good enough right now. So no Miata yet. But I'm still looking for a good deal on one. I may buy a street car and start building it.

Randy

Motor City Hamilton

• The Green Snowplow
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 ITC Civic
I hate seeing the ITC fields being so small. Spec Miata is the growing class right now. I'm considering making the jump. I may just have to pass my Honda Civic to a rookie. It's been a great car to start with.
My driving skills fall somewhere between The Stig and Sammy Hawkins!

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
my wife and me have an ES miata now. i don't want to race the civic till i finish my swap..

1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

shubox

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 87 Civic GL Sedan, 04 Buick Rainier, 84 VT500FT Ascot
Hi All,

I'm new to this board, but I'll have to "ditto" those talking about the sweetness of the Miata's handling. My previous daily driver and autocross car was an '02 Miata LS which I sold to help fund grad school. The civic is a good handling car, but there is just something about that Miata...

My $0.02, go for it!!

David