D15b Into 1g Crx Si

• You cannot reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic

afm27

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 Honda CIVIC CRX SI 1500
i wanna put a d15b into my 85 si. im stickin with the d15 because i just need a car to get to work and vtec would be nice.(the shell is in aweful shape) money is tight and i found one for the right price..........now for the question...........what do i need to do to make this work. im already getting the ecu and wiring harness just in case.................but i need this done asap.....i need this car done before it snows. if anybody has any info for me id would be much appreciated..........as for my old motor, i blew the head gasket, jumped timing,and bent 2 valves. i think one of the piston rings is bad too because its burning oil. i got stuck with a lemon so now im tryin to get it goin.do i need to custom fab wiring harnesses/motormounts? or can i use one harness and not the other......once again.....clueless.

afm27

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Honda CIVIC CRX SI 1500
if its not economical than i wont do it.ill just be walkin to work and it can get pretty chilly in jersey.

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
well you will have to make your own mounts. axles have to be made for them.
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

grimvamp101

• To Change Is Inevitable......
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 2X 1986 Honda CRX Si , both red, both born 2 months apart =D
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (rollz87civic @ Dec 14 2006, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well you will have to make your own mounts. axles have to be made for them.

im doing a D15B7 swap into my car as we speak.This is what you will need/to be done:

motor (duh)
D15b7 tranny,they only come in hydrallic, so you will have to buy an adapter if you have cable, or make your own, whatever works.
crx outer axels
d15b7 inner cv joints (they slide right onto the crx axles)
D15b7 ecu (its obd1, and your car is made for obdo, so youll need a conversion harness as well)
A Shit load of wiring needs to be done.

The wiring is kinda easy, you have three options, you can take your old engine harness and hook it up, then you will have to run wires from the OBD1 dizzy to the ecu, and some sensors, the 2nd option is to use a D15b7 Engine harness but adapt it to connect to the main harness on the crx.And the 3rd option is running two ecus, one for the obd1 stuff(the engine) then run one for your dash and stuff (the stock crx ecu).i hope this helps.

ibcnya

• HNFTuning
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: his girlfriend crazy
From what I can tell that engine, 87 teg tranny, teg tranny mount, rear mount, stock ew mount cut and welded to fit. Not sure bout axles. Go with the d16y8/z6 if your gonna do fabbing to make it work. Throw some vtec in there with it. D15b...good for gas milage....bad for custom swap job. IMO......You can make d15b power with the stock engine.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
QUOTE (ibcnya @ Apr 12 2007, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I can tell that engine, 87 teg tranny, teg tranny mount, rear mount, stock ew mount cut and welded to fit. Not sure bout axles. Go with the d16y8/z6 if your gonna do fabbing to make it work. Throw some vtec in there with it. D15b...good for gas milage....bad for custom swap job. IMO......You can make d15b power with the stock engine. Here are some pics of why the 84-87 tranny won't work........hopefully you can either see them or link to them.

http://www.facebook....100000434598248[/img]

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
that totally posted wrong, whatever, wish I could load the pics right on as thumbnails like the Hondaswap forum.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
This web site has some info (if the D15B motor does bolt up to it) on using the integra tranny mounts
http://www.ff-squad....ybrid/index.htm
and here is a similar post that I did blog on and you can see the pics I took
http://hondaswap.com...-87-rex-406478/
and if you wanted to go vtec (which is what I am planning on doing) here is another website but it is a 2g crx
http://www.crxmpg.co...omy-swap-guide/

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
There is a TON of info on this subject if you look into the wiki and search around the SWAPS section but I'll clear up some info for the sake of organization and making a bottom line.

Can you swap in a "modern" D series? YES. Is it worth it? ehh depends. but I won't get into that very far

The easiest/best way to accomplish a "modern" D series swap is to use the integra d16 transmission/axles/halfshaft, integra knuckles (unless you want to hybridize integra axles with your stockers), trans mount, rear trans bracket/mount, and stock shift linkage (IIRC).

You will have to *CAREFULLY* drill and tap 3 holes in your block for the halfshaft since the integra axle setup uses one to minimize torque steer. The D16a6, as you will read from the write up that I believe is stickied in the swaps section, already has the holes for the halfshaft but need to be tapped- making the D16a6 a very good choice as far as blocks go but if you're very careful, you can drill them yourself. IIRC there is another block with the holes already but I don't remember which.

you will need to take a stock driver side mount and a eg/ef/ek (correct to engine choice) and weld them together to make it work... don't ask me how its done, if you get that far in the swap you should be smart enough to figure out the mount. There has been talk about having these mounts made but nothing has been produced so far.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
QUOTE (zakats @ Nov 4 2009, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a TON of info on this subject if you look into the wiki and search around the SWAPS section but I'll clear up some info for the sake of organization and making a bottom line.

Can you swap in a "modern" D series? YES. Is it worth it? ehh depends. but I won't get into that very far

The easiest/best way to accomplish a "modern" D series swap is to use the integra d16 transmission/axles/halfshaft, integra knuckles (unless you want to hybridize integra axles with your stockers), trans mount, rear trans bracket/mount, and stock shift linkage (IIRC).

You will have to *CAREFULLY* drill and tap 3 holes in your block for the halfshaft since the integra axle setup uses one to minimize torque steer. The D16a6, as you will read from the write up that I believe is stickied in the swaps section, already has the holes for the halfshaft but need to be tapped- making the D16a6 a very good choice as far as blocks go but if you're very careful, you can drill them yourself. IIRC there is another block with the holes already but I don't remember which.

you will need to take a stock driver side mount and a eg/ef/ek (correct to engine choice) and weld them together to make it work... don't ask me how its done, if you get that far in the swap you should be smart enough to figure out the mount. There has been talk about having these mounts made but nothing has been produced so far.

I think Keith is working on this right now.

If it where me, I would make mounts for either the D16Z6 (OBD1) or the D16Y8 (OBD2), with the trannies they came with. Honda made Bazillions of these engines, they are cheap, put out around 125hp stock, and seem to have good after market performance support. Could be a good future power plant for our aging cars.

Just my two pennies. wink.gif

David
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
By using the integra tranny you don't get the advantage of gearing for gas mileage. Is there a way to use that casing but swap to some better gears like the HF tranny?

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (PuddleSkipper @ Nov 7 2009, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By using the integra tranny you don't get the advantage of gearing for gas mileage. Is there a way to use that casing but swap to some better gears like the HF tranny?

there is a 5th gear swap available for better cruising rpms but I'm not going to get into all that, you gotta do some research yourself, this site is full of useful information- if you're lazy, your swap will never take off

David, thats good to hear and I hope Keith puts something out soon... just wish it had been released about a year ago, I would have been driving a carb'd z6 all along.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

keithg

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: SCCA FP/GTL 1985 Honda CRX (EW)
QUOTE (zakats @ Nov 8 2009, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
David, thats good to hear and I hope Keith puts something out soon... just wish it had been released about a year ago, I would have been driving a carb'd z6 all along.

We are working on a mount kit for the 92-00 D16 engine/trans into our cars and should have them ready to ship before Christmas (2009).
And, I plan to auction off the first kit to benefit RPR! (Thanks to David for the idea)

Keith Gillespie
Hasport Performance
www.hasport.com

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
QUOTE (keithg @ Nov 8 2009, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are working on a mount kit for the 92-00 D16 engine/trans into our cars and should have them ready to ship before Christmas (2009).
And, I plan to auction off the first kit to benefit RPR! (Thanks to David for the idea)

Nice! That's going to be so awesome. cool.gif

So the D16Z6 (OBD1) and the D16Y8 (OBD2) and their associated transmissions are physically the same from a mounts perspective? That's great! Lots of choices now for people here.

Close you eyes for a moment people and imagine..... running a much cleaner burning, more powerful and modern engine, that has a REAL engine management system. biggrin.gif And REAL aftermarket support! laugh.gif

Hummmm, I've got a second 85 CRX SI here that has a totally dead motor..... Lets support Hasport for this fantastic effort!

Thanks Keith. cool.gif

I've got a good idea. We should collect all of our old EW's, and ship them off to our fellow RPR racers so they have parts to keep their aging motors going, and sanctioning bodies happy. wink.gif
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

anassa

• Slowest of em all.
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Honda CRX Si
QUOTE (keithg @ Nov 8 2009, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh shit, screw going back to the 2g/4g crx/civic then. I'm sticking with our 1g/3g honda's. Now I know what to save up for. Can't wait!!!!!!! biggrin.gif
Someday my car will look as clean and sexy as this:

-1997 318ti DD

-1989 240sx sold on CL

-1985 CRX DX, sold to Justin

-1985 CRX Si, sold to Indyman.

-1991 CRX Si, totaled in the mountains, RIP