Rack & Pinion For 1gen Hf

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 2016 Accord, ‘87 CRX Si (2 - neither running), ‘60’s Vettes (2), ‘67 911S, '70 914-6, '95 F150.
    Garage View Garage
Im looking for a 1Gen CRX HF rack & pinion; either a complete assy or just the guts (rack & pinion) in good to NOS condition. Anyone have something? Prefer really nice, NOS, or lightly used, but willing to consider others. Willing to pay a fair price based on condition. Thanks.

Edited by rufusbob, 05 June 2022 - 12:42 PM.

Bob

na-spirit

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic si. 01 Integra Type R

Not sure about the quality..but notes that it'll fit if you can't find a oem rack. 

https://www.ebay.com...e0AAOSwKHVhHc5a

na-spirit

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic si. 01 Integra Type R

Here's some on rockauto, https://www.rockauto...and pinion,7388

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion

NOS is long, long gone.....

Maybe you can find one off a low mileage HF.  Like less than 60K if you look hard.  Everyone wants the SI.  So you have a chance w an HF.

I took all my SI assemblies a few years ago, compared them all against each other.  The gears get a "wear spot" in the neutral position (center position driving straight down the highway.  I had to clock my pinion 180 degrees.  then moved the rack over about 1/2 tooth.  This tightened mine right up.  I did a more detailed post here somewhere if you end up rebuilding ur own and want more info.  I didn't replace the pinion bearing.  Didn't need it.    But the main thing that helped me,..   Was regreasing the assembly, and resetting the steering tensioner spring.

Trying to find a low mileage 35 year old part is tough, but possible, especially for an HF

Heres what I did...

51668224597_84f2721320_z.jpg​

Was a fun project.  And well worth the tightness regained in my steering.  I hand picked the best inner/outer joints off these assemblies.  So they're all Honda OEM.  No shit chinese aftermarket that will wear out in 30K miles.

Post ur project car.  Sounds like you have some interesting/serious stuff going on.

Keepin' it OEM

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 2016 Accord, ‘87 CRX Si (2 - neither running), ‘60’s Vettes (2), ‘67 911S, '70 914-6, '95 F150.
    Garage View Garage
Hi Guys. Thanks so much for your helpful replies. From prowling this site Ive seen you both set a high bar for preserving & restoring these amazing cars. Kudos! If only the younger generation knew how cool they are! As youll learn Ive exposed my 24 yo daughter to all my cars; not sure shell become as passionate as I am, but I am sure she knows about and has a soft spot in her heart for them.

Re rack & pinions My apologizes, I should have clarified the reason for my WTB post. I bought my 87 CRX Si 8 years ago with only 82k miles. Ive only added about 10k since, so the rack & pinion is still in decent shape. Im looking for the faster steering ratio parts in the HF rack as part of a quote resto-mod unquote I plan.

Sadly, due to reasons beyond my control, the cars been subjected to sitting outside (with a broken transmission) in North Carolina since 2015.

As you might guess, theres a backstory to all this. But Ill save it for posting soon in a more appropriate place on RPR.

Mr Greasemonkey: I really like your rack and pinion rebuilding idea to extend useful life!

Cheers,
Bob

Edited by rufusbob, 07 June 2022 - 09:57 AM.

Bob

CSPCRX

Hey Bob,

what are your plans for the car?  Is this going to be a street car only, track/street, autocross?

I ask because the difference isn’t really that big between the two.  If your just looking for a bit more responsive feel in the steering that can be done with alignment or camber/caster plates.  Adding some caster to the car does amazing things to steering response.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Hi Victor. My plans for 100% street use.

I picked up the HF rack & pinion idea from a list of desirable parts, etc on the CRX Community site.

My memorys kinda dim, but I seem to recall the standard CRX steering doesnt feel quite as responsive as that of my 84 Prelude or 03 S2000.

If youll post your suggested setting, Ill keep it in mind might be the reason to use my Longacre racing camber / caster gauge again. Thanks.

Edited by rufusbob, 07 June 2022 - 01:43 PM.

Bob

CSPCRX

I have used the SI rack in my car for years.  A couple of years ago I rebuild an HF I had stashed away and was surprised how small the change was in driving.  Adding caster gave the steering more response.  I run max caster on my CC plates.  You could try that and see if it feels too twitchy and dial it back.  These cars just really respond to this.  Hope it helps.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Excellent. Thanks Victor.
Bob

CSPCRX

You are welcome.  Good luck.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion

82K!!!  Awesome!!  Cant wait to see you post it up

Keepin' it OEM