• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

Scurvy

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '87 CRX HF
Hey RPR! New member here.
I've got an 87 HF I'm trying to get back on the road. 5th gear exploded and the cars been sitting for a bit, finally had the motivation and time to pull the transmission and it appears that all the damage is on the countershaft (5th gear, bearing and spacer beneath it) I'd like to rebuild it if I can find the parts, but if replacing is easier.. I just want to drive this thing again!
I've found a couple transmissions listed online, but they're all over 2000 miles away and the shipping cost is just too much for me at this time. Anyone have parts for sale, or methods for cheaper shipping?

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage

http://car-part.com 

Scurvy

• Granny
  • Pip

http://car-part.com 

Thanks, I've been searching with that site for a while, and just realized that when using my zip code when searching it wasn't giving me results that were closer to home (?? Weird) Found a couple options now, both hf and si. Curious what people would recommend between the two. I've had the mindset of keeping it stock hf. Anyone have an opinion either way?

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: Only loaners at the present time!
    Garage View Garage
HF=stock,best mileage...Si= less mileage but better performance...Si with HF fifth gear installed= performance and increased mileage?

"Old and usually in the way" - Check out my '86 3G build in "VIEW GARAGE"

Sinub

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 2012 Civic Si, 1987 Crx Si
    Garage View Garage

Last time I checked, Autozone carried a rebuilt kit with synchro's for our transmission. Did the gear itself break? 

Scurvy

• Granny
  • Pip

Last time I checked, Autozone carried a rebuilt kit with synchro's for our transmission. Did the gear itself break?

Oh the gear is toast!
j67tkk.jpg

Sinub

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

Oh the gear is toast!
j67tkk.jpg

I gave my old transmission away. I gave it to my old boss. I worked at a transmission shop and figured he might one day have use for it. I can double check to see if he still has it. 

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

http://www.redpepper...showtopic=54416

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

$75 and free shipping

https://www.ebay.com...qIAAOSw2tFab1wl

Scurvy

• Granny
  • Pip
Thank you both for the replies! I would be curious about your old transmission, Sinub. Decent condition, and do you remember the miles on it?
That price, and the quicker get up on the si trans is definitely attractive to me, but it's telling me the 85 isn't compatible with my 87, thats BS, right?

Sinub

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

Thank you both for the replies! I would be curious about your old transmission, Sinub. Decent condition, and do you remember the miles on it?
That price, and the quicker get up on the si trans is definitely attractive to me, but it's telling me the 85 isn't compatible with my 87, thats BS, right?

It was mostly a parts transmissions. The ball bearings needed replacing and the top half of the case was cracked at the drain plug. I'll look to see if he still has the transmission or if he has already scrapped it. 

Edit: My transmission was an Si transmission. 

1985 Crx SI posted a link to an Ebay transmission. That actually looks promising and is the correct style transmission as well. 

Scurvy

• Granny
  • Pip
Well an '87 dx showed up at my local pick n pull. Got the tranny swapped over but the cv axles (or at least the passenger side that I can get a good look at) don't seem to seat in all the way. It seems to be locked in place, but there's about an 1/8th of an inch gap between the inboard cv joint and transmission. I can't separate by hand but can easily pop it out with a screwdriver. It's not leaking fluid, and I was able to drive without any noticeable issues. Anyone experienced this? Is the inboard shaft on the dx slightly shorter than the hf?

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

Did you replace the snap rings on the end of the CV joints?

Scurvy

• Granny
  • Pip

Did you replace the snap rings on the end of the CV joints?

No, I'm using the old ones. I did remove the ring on the passenger side, and the axle doesn't go in any farther without it.