This Is The Post Of Knowledge!

• You cannot reply to this topic
93 replies to this topic

MakDiesel

• She'll do 80 mph in 2nd gear and 45+ mpg, not simultaneously
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '89 CRX HF-Z1 ~ no carpet, no A/C, no muffler, earplugs optional '97 Hatch DX-Y5 ~ Roll cage & lean burn
    • Image Gallery
I believe this forum is extremely diverse in it's knowledge and experience and I thought it would be nice to squeeze some more of the unorthodox ideas out. I want whomever that knows of an easy/inexpensive tricks/mods that will make our cars that much better to post it here. The guidelines are broad but try to keep it automotive, relatively unknown to the masses, and beneficial to perform to any car, Honda or not. Some of it may even be common sense. I'll start:

1. put several small magnets on the bottom of your oil pan/tranny/oil filter to keep the bits of metal that accumulate (most of it's microscopic unless you drive an old Ford, then it's chunks) from doing any further wear and tear harm.

2. There's already a post about using lighter weights in the distributor w/ weaker springs, I assume you can do this with other older cars.

3. a vinegar soaked rag will take off an old stuck on bumper sticker faster and more effectively than a razorblade, etc.

4. Don't 'overfill' your gas tank when filling up. As soon as the pump clicks off by itself, don't try to squeeze a couple more cents into it to make an even amount, the extra gas will be wasted anyway and can damage evaporative systems.

5. If you gut your interior, take the time to get all the sound deadening out as well w/ either a heat gun or dry ice and a hammer. The total savings can be up to 10-15 lbs. on some cars.

6. During extreme circumstances, a pair of nylon panty hose can be used to remedy a broken alternator/AC/power steering belt, but only temporaily.

7. Cruising at 55 mph vs. 70 mph has been shown to increase gas mileage by 19%.

8. If your battery terminals are heavily corroded, use soap/water to clean them and use dielectric (sp) grease to coat them. No more corrosion.

9. Unless you have an engine that requires premium gas (indicated in your owner's manual or sometimes on your gauge cluster), run a turbo/supercharger, or you have developed spark knock from carbon buildup, use good ol' 87 octane and save yourself some $.

10. To oversimplify, if your car smokes at startup, then you probably need valve guides and/or seals. If it smokes when you accelerate at a fast pace, then you need new rings. Bluish smoke is oil, while white, sweet smelling smoke is antifreeze and is sign of a blown head gasket.

Please contribute to this and enlighten the noobs and the veterans alike! (BTW, comment if you disagree w/ any of mine) Mak <------------- hopes to learn a few things this way
QUOTE (therealtime)
i see you did a world class rape on the rest of the vehicle lol.

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (MakDiesel @ Dec 1 2005, 02:15 AM)
6. During extreme circumstances, a pair of nylon panty hose can be used to remedy a broken alternator/AC/power steering belt, but only temporaily.

8. If your battery terminals are heavily corroded, use soap/water to clean them and use dielectric (sp) grease to coat them.  No more corrosion.

#6 you can also use panty hose as an air filter. Placing it capped over the open end of any intake tube.

#8 carbonated soda (pop, soda, coke, soda water) works great too. Kills the corrosion. Then of cours use the grease to coat the posts.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery
Baking soda and water also works on battery terminals.

If you have to put a nut on a hard to reach stud, slide the nut onto a phillips screwdriver, put the tip of the screwdriver on the stud, and slide the nut onto the stud.

The distributer spring mod was common in the 50s and 60s.
You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

AudioCra-Z

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 07 Honda Fit
Never use degreser spray cleaners near your spark plugs, or distributor. They tend to cause spark and connection issues. Simple Green is the best, and washes away well.

For Turbo/Forced Induction setups. you DO NOT want to use pantyhose/cloth as a temp solution, but actually a piece of wire mesh with a hose clamp as an emergecy setup. Cloth can rip, and get sucked in, and wrapped around the forced induction parts... very bad!
Above all else, my WIFE I f33r the most!
Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF;

user posted image
RIP 86 CRX DX B16A

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: R.I.P ~Honali~ 3G civic now drives Silver 86 Civic hatch
panty hose can also be used as an emergency alt/fan belt. i did this on a very old ford f-150 when the fanbelt broke. drove 80klms before it broke. the trick i learned if you HAVE to do this is when you go to tie it on, make the knot as tight as possisble, cut off the excess and melt the knot lightly with a lighter. i did this on a ford v-8, you should be able to use this on honda's as well. i dont know how well it would work if you have a serpintine belt system with belt tensioners and what-not, but a simple crank-fan/crank-Alt should be good enough to get you to canadian tire or a parts store.

rprdotcom1cropped.gifRIPHonalicroppedsigpic.jpgAW1GMtu.jpgH4zO0Qb.jpg

JayK

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX DX
Taken from the December issue of Sport Compact Car:

-Accelerating a pound of wheel weight is like accelerating about 1.5 pounds on your chassis. Accelerating a pound of tire weight is like accelerating 2 pounds on your chassis. Accelerating a pound of flywheel weight is like accelerating as much as 30 pounds on your chassis, depending on what gear you're in.

-When you put on your fat tires, keeping the offset of your new wheels close to the offset of the stock ones will minimize changes in scrub radius. This, in turn, will minimize torque steer on front drivers, and brake steer on anything.

-A bigger master cylinder will make your brake pedal firmer.

-A smaller piston in your caliper will do the same thing.

-Bigger brakes won't necessarily make your car stop any shorter. Good brake balance, good tires, a good suspension, minimal camber, and, of course, ABS, will.

-Getting good tires is the second most effective thing you can do to improve handling.

-Learning to drive is the first.

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
QUOTE (JayK @ Dec 1 2005, 11:51 AM)

-Bigger brakes won't necessarily make your car stop any shorter. Good brake balance, good tires, a good suspension, minimal camber, and, of course, ABS, will.

ABS does not always make u stop faster in some cases it can make you stop slower, it is give better braking control and not lock the wheels up. sometimes u can stop faster lockin it up smile.gif
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

antiheroCRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si D15A3
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (kaymo @ Dec 1 2005, 03:30 PM)

ABS does not always make u stop faster in some cases it can make you stop slower, it is give better braking control and not lock the wheels up. sometimes u can stop faster lockin it up smile.gif

ever have your brakes lock up and then get stuck that way. OOO YEA thats when you wish you have abs.
user posted image
SportInjectedClub

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (kaymo @ Dec 1 2005, 05:30 PM)

i dont think this is true when you are driving @ highway speeds or in inclement weather (rain snow etc.) and thats when ABS comes in handy wink.gif
1GRPhotography
MySpace
I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

lxndr

• All work and no play makes LXNDR a dull boy. All work and no...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
If your radiator blows a leak you can break up a couple of cigarettes and drop the tobacco into the radiator. The tobacco will clot the hole long enough for you to get home or to a repair shop. You can also use an egg.

Baking soda can also be dumped into the radiator when back flushing to break up deposits. This is an effective and environmentally friendly method.

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
and of course most of us know this but an underinflated tire hurts gas milage...for every 1 psi under your NPG goes down 2 percent...doesnt sound like a lot, but it makes a huge difference when you are running 2psi under on each tire...not to mention your tires will be less likely to fail prematurely and will wear evenly
1GRPhotography
MySpace
I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
i dont know i dont like the abs stuff. i find tha tyou dont have control of the brakes when its on and yes most the time it takes longer to stop.
also when your abs stops working you have NO BRAKES had that happen 2 times.

and also thinkabout it its a computer that runs it and if you have no power for some odd reson there go brakes. (happend on out compony deasil 1 ton. you try stoping that loaded with now power/abs brakes.

i like th ebrakes on the honda i have 86s. no abs on and off when i wont.

B@T "El Argentino"

QUOTE:
4. Don't 'overfill' your gas tank when filling up. As soon as the pump clicks off by itself, don't try to squeeze a couple more cents into it to make an even amount, the extra gas will be wasted anyway and can damage evaporative systems.

Just wondering, why would the extra gas be wasted??

My dad always tries to pump "a whole number" and I hate it when he does this crap, pisses me off even though he has good intentions, I'll make him read this post!
B@T 46 "THE DOCTOR"
[email protected]
user posted image
My "VOUCH" tread http://www.redpepper...44

MakDiesel

• She'll do 80 mph in 2nd gear and 45+ mpg, not simultaneously
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '89 CRX HF-Z1 ~ no carpet, no A/C, no muffler, earplugs optional '97 Hatch DX-Y5 ~ Roll cage & lean burn
    • Image Gallery
I read it (in a book, not online, so it's more likely to be credible) a few years back, I'll post an exact quote if I find it, I don't want to mislead anyone. I just remember it did more harm than good squeezing the pump, and if your gas tank was "too full" the excess would be wasted. I'll get back to you on the reason... Mak
QUOTE (therealtime)
i see you did a world class rape on the rest of the vehicle lol.

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
On the radiator note, if one has a small leak the best and cheapest method of fixing it is black pepper. Just get one of those cheapy mccormock shakers and dumps some in the filler neck. Pepper does not dissolve and will just collect at the hole and close it up.

and since gas is so expensive, keep in mind that properly inflated tires can save you a TON of cash at the pump. I check mine once a week.